Freaking hideous!!!

For the civil discussion of large school football.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Freaking hideous!!!

Post by CIS »

Hmm...not sure how I feel about this. I do know that from a Pekin perspective that many do not like the idea of district play since Pekin would have some tremendous travel distances and being in a conference with Quincy, Moline and Edwardsville would not seem natural. I also know that some of the other Mid Illini school fans didn't like breaking up the Mid Illini and placing some of the schools in with some far flung schools who are not near the Peoria area. GBG, what don't like about the new proposal? Expanding playoffs? Eight game regular season? Would you be willing to work with this plan and maybe make some changes or do you like the district idea? Is there a totally different idea out there? I also wonder, should non football playing schools be allowed to vote on this important football issue? I wonder what was the voting from the non football schools with the district idea?

crkamm
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by crkamm »

The first question that pops into my feeble mind is;

How are the non-playoff schools supposed to schedule that week 9 game? You can't do it ahead of time. You don't know who the other Non-qualifying teams will be. Is Pekin supposed to tell Urbana "We'll play you the last game, but not if we upset Morton and make it into the playoffs"?
THE LEGEND! As crowned by Johnny Mac
Scientifically proven to be 1.84 X more intelligent than the "Officially recognized Smartest Poster on the Boards".
jmc wrote:you were advanced for your age.

Oskee
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Oskee »

CIS wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:31 pm
I also wonder, should non football playing schools be allowed to vote on this important football issue? I wonder what was the voting from the non football schools with the district idea?
I think the thought process on allowing non-football schools to vote was that it did affect them. Schools without football had seen their conference affiliations disband and shuffle without them. This affected all their scheduling for other sports as well.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

crkamm wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:46 am
The first question that pops into my feeble mind is;

How are the non-playoff schools supposed to schedule that week 9 game? You can't do it ahead of time. You don't know who the other Non-qualifying teams will be. Is Pekin supposed to tell Urbana "We'll play you the last game, but not if we upset Morton and make it into the playoffs"?
Yeah, that would be tricky. I imagine many teams would end up only playing eight games, which I don't like. That just seems short. I like 9 game regular season. I don't really like this new plan but I definitely don't like districts. Is there some other solution out there?

blownfuse

Post by blownfuse »

3 wins to get in the playoffs??? A 3 win team does not deserve to make the playoffs. Would that 3 win team get matched up with a 9-0 team the first round? If so, what a waste of time and likely more injuries. This whole proposal seems unorganized and quickly thrown together.
2017 large school pick-ems grand champion

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

This new proposal has flaws, much like the district proposal. This new idea will not have the support of the Executive Board in its present form. They would be better off in delaying the entire reorganization until a well thought out plan in proposed.
go cubs go!

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

I agree with all thoughts so far....three wins is not good, like someone said, would that mean that 3-5 team plays 8-0 team in first round...lots of blowouts.... Also agree that most teams are not going to be able to schedule a week 9 game, and really nobody would care at that point, an 0-8 team playing a 1-7 team is not going to draw any fans, waste of time. I also agree that the plan seems like it was thrown together, although it seems like there is something like this plan in Missouri or Minnesota. I also agree that it would be nice to come up with a better plan. I do not like districts but this plan seems far fetched.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

I’ve said this before, this district stuff and this proposal are all about teams conference shopping all the time looking for an easy 5-6 wins and switching conferences every couple years. The easiest and best solution in my mind is to let schools switch conferences once every 10 years and after the state wide period to switch is over all conferences are locked for the next 10 years
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Has anybody at the IHSA level suggested or proposed this? Seems reasonable to me...

Oskee

Post by Oskee »

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:12 pm
You change conferences, you're locked in for 7 years. You switch during those 7 years, whatever time frame is left within those 7 years, you're not eligible for the playoffs for that time.
Hypothetical...
You form a conference in 2020. After 2 years, a couple of geographically important schools leave the conference and it dissolves. Are all remaining schools ineligible for the playoffs for 5 years?
Last edited by Oskee on Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheRoller

Post by TheRoller »

blownfuse wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:47 pm
3 wins to get in the playoffs??? A 3 win team does not deserve to make the playoffs. Would that 3 win team get matched up with a 9-0 team the first round? If so, what a waste of time and likely more injuries. This whole proposal seems unorganized and quickly thrown together.
Actually no, a 3 win team would not automatically get matched up with an 8-0 team. With there being 48 qualifiers in each class you would have to structure the tournament differently and give the top 16 a first round bye (Assuming you simply rank them 1-48 and don't worry about quads). Either way 16 teams would be off week 9 while the other 32 play each other to determine who those 16 face off against in round 2. Theoretically all those 3 win qualifiers will be eliminated by the 5 and 6 win teams they would be paired against. I.E. #17 hosts #48 with the winner playing at #1 in round 2. #18 hosts #47 and moving on to play #2, etc, etc, etc......

I don't like either of these "solutions". Illinois has it's major population centers too spread out for districts to work properly and if you're going to let a 3 win team in the playoffs then just put everyone in the playoffs like basketball and be done with it. I am not sure what authority the IHSA has to dictate when and how a school can move to another conference. Conference affiliations are agreed upon by the member schools (at least as far as I understand it). If the current model is going away and I am forced to choose an option I go with plan "B". Leave the conferences alone, let schools set their own schedules and expand the playoffs if that's what it takes to solve the "crisis" of conference shopping.
Officially recognized as the "Smartest Poster on the Boards"

Tell me what you KNOW, not what you've heard.

The Truth Be Told

Post by The Truth Be Told »

.What no comments on Proposal 12? That should make a LOT of people happy. They will be dancing in the aisles should it get voted on and passed.