Metamora Wins

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
Uncle Junior
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Re: Metamora Wins

Post by Uncle Junior »

Is Kaiser good enough to play in the MVC? Disappointed with his offensive game.
I do my best thinking on the bus. That's how come I don't drive. I don't want to know how. I don't want to learn. See? The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

From NFHS Rules book.

SECTION 4 TRAVEL, KICK, FIST, BALL ENTERS BASKET FROM BELOW
A player shall not travel with the ball, as in 4-44, intentionally kick it, as in 4-29, strike it with the fist or cause it to enter and pass through the basket from below.
NOTE: Kicking the ball is a violation only when it is an intentional act; accidentally striking the ball with the foot or leg is not a violation.

SECTION 29 KICKING THE BALL
Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot.
Music loud and women warm
I've been kicked around since I was born
And now it's all right, it's okay
And you may look the other way
We can try to understand
The New York Times' effect on man
crkamm
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by crkamm »

Congratulations to everyone associated with the SHG Basketball world. Hard-fought well earned victory.

(Knew we should have turned the sprinklers on.)
THE LEGEND! As crowned by Johnny Mac
Scientifically proven to be 1.84 X more intelligent than the "Officially recognized Smartest Poster on the Boards".
jmc wrote:you were advanced for your age.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

illini25 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:06 pm Not sure I’ve ever seen a high school team without a Rashard Griffith or Derek Holcomb type guy win by making only paint shots until the final shot of the game.

Was Metamora out of timeouts at the end?
I think they had at least one if I'm not mistaken.

Feel absolutely gutted for the Metamora kids though. SHG doesn't make a single 3 the entire game until the very end and the shooter for SHG shot it off balance.

Scary thing about this SHG team is that they only had one senior on the team and he wasn't even a starter. Their entire starting 5 was all juniors so it is conceivable they could be back at the state tournament next season.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:41 pm
illini25 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:06 pm Not sure I’ve ever seen a high school team without a Rashard Griffith or Derek Holcomb type guy win by making only paint shots until the final shot of the game.

Feel absolutely gutted for the Metamora kids though. SHG doesn't make a single 3 the entire game until the very end and the shooter for SHG shot it off balance.

Scary thing about this SHG team is that they only had one senior on the team and he wasn't even a starter. Their entire starting 5 was all juniors so it is conceivable they could be back at the state tournament next season.
I thought before the last shot Lee Hall said 19 FGs out of 19 in the paint.

Edit: Box score confirms 19 FGs in the paint.

https://www.ihsa.org/data/bkb/3Box4.pdf
We can try to understand
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

illini25 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:45 pm

I thought before the last shot Lee Hall said 19 FGs out of 19 in the paint.

Edit: Box score confirms 19 FGs in the paint.

https://www.ihsa.org/data/bkb/3Box4.pdf
Oh yeah. The big man for SHG absolutely dominated inside.
The Truth Be Told
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by The Truth Be Told »

. Exciting game to watch. A short video.

https://www.channel1450.com/2022/03/12/ ... double-ot/
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Clarifying last night’s discussion, Drew Tucker confirms ball went off his foot as reported by Adam Duvall.

https://www.pjstar.com/story/sports/hig ... 006663001/
We can try to understand
jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

Congrats the Metamora. It was fun to follow a local HS team in the tourney. Turnovers and FT shooting really hurt them down the stretch. But what a great experience for these kids, they will talk it about their whole lives. And who knows, this might be a trend for the Redbirds.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!
BIRDGRAD87
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by BIRDGRAD87 »

Metamora only had 1 senior starter, freshman undefeated and Soph’s won conference. Could there be a rematch next year??
Playoffs 1975-81,84,88,90,94-2012,14,15,16,18, 21
Quarterfinals 1975-77,79,80,95-02,04,06-10,16
Semifinal 1975,76,77,95,96,97,99,2000,01,06,07,08,09,10
State Final 1975,76,77,96,97,99,2000,07,08,09
State Champion 1975,2007,2009
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Not sure what’s Kizer role was last night. Need more than 3 points from your All Stater. He seems to be comfortable dishing off and not driving. Then the issue of defense, he was schooled underneath all night. Perhaps it’s getting to get into the weight room or looking more for a shot. Whatever it is, his upside is there. And the Sea of Red could be back again next year.
go cubs go!
The Truth Be Told
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

.Listening to Coach Allen this morning on local radio it sounds like SHG is going to ramp up their non con schedule next year. East St. Louis, Simeon, Chaminade and a flight.... were mentioned. They are also going to play in the Highland tournament.
Last edited by The Truth Be Told on Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bballnut

Post by Bballnut »

I think Birds upgrading their non con schedule really helped them, especially getting in Washington Tip Off tourney and State Farm Christmas Tourney. Resulted in some losses, but gained tremendous game experience against quality teams.
The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.
bravesfan69
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bravesfan69 »

Bballnut wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:59 am I think Birds upgrading their non con schedule really helped them, especially getting in Washington Tip Off tourney and State Farm Christmas Tourney. Resulted in some losses, but gained tremendous game experience against quality teams.
Agreed. I also think the 10 seed at the State Farm provided some of that "we're disrepected" motivation that carried the team.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

They aren’t going back to State Farm next year, Mississippi instead.
go cubs go!
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

The Truth Be Told wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:16 am .Listening to Coach Allen this morning on local radio it sounds like SHG is going to ramp up their non con schedule next year. East St. Louis, Simeon, Chaminade and a flight.... were mentioned. They are also going to play in the Highland tournament.
I know they played in a Christmas tournament in southern Illinois (Marion maybe?) for several years. If they're wanting to play in the Metro East, I wonder if they'd ever consider Collinsville?
The Truth Be Told
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

.Sacred Heart-Griffin has scheduled a non con game with Metamora in the upcoming season.
crkamm
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by crkamm »

The Truth Be Told wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:11 am .Sacred Heart-Griffin has scheduled a non con game with Metamora in the upcoming season.
Where? We need time to turn the indoor sprinklers on.
Scientifically proven to be 1.84 X more intelligent than the "Officially recognized Smartest Poster on the Boards".
The Truth Be Told
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

. Another comment as well only the old-timers will pick up on. I have not heard where the game will be played.
crkamm
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by crkamm »

Some shootout at UIS. According to our Asst. Coach.