Cubs leaving WGN Radio after this season

For the civil discussion of pro sports
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Cubs leaving WGN Radio after this season

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/06/03/w ... -the-cubs/

One of the longest lasting partnerships will end after this season as the Cubs and WGN Radio will split up. The Cubs are expected to announce Thursday that they have finalized a seven-year agreement to broadcast on CBS Radio all-news WBBM AM 780, starting with the 2015 season. Sources familiar with the deal said the Cubs could move to CBS Radio sports/talk WSCR AM 670 if the Score loses the White Sox broadcast rights after next year.
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Cubs leaving WGN Radio after this season

Post by Beanie »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote: Sources familiar with the deal said the Cubs could move to CBS Radio sports/talk WSCR AM 670 if the Score loses the White Sox broadcast rights after next year.
Let's be honest… It's not "if the SCORE loses the White Sox", it will be when the SCORE doesn't renew with the White Sox in order to move the Cubs onto 670.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
Big Papa Pump
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Big Papa Pump »

If they are on radio, they are on radio but kinda sad as I grew up on WGN. :cry:
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

WBBM has a really strong signal too right?

When the Cardinals moved away from KMOX for a few years that turned out poorly. They also didn't move to a station as strong as WBBM either.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

tribecalledquest wrote:WBBM has a really strong signal too right?

When the Cardinals moved away from KMOX for a few years that turned out poorly. They also didn't move to a station as strong as WBBM either.
WBBM, WSCR, WLS and WGN all have very strong signals. Don't the Bears rotate among various radio outlets? It always seems strange to me to hear the Bears on WBBM and WLS. But also, WLS and WGN have FM sides too now. I don't know about WBBM.
"If you're going to play stickball in Canarsie you better learn the Brooklyn rules." -Jack McCoy
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

WGN has the strongest signal. If you try to get the Bears for any distance late in the day, it is a poor signal. Would this also change the radio announcing team? I'm sure that this is has a Rickett's money making scheme. They are making a mockery out of the team, no matter how they try to say they want baseball at Wrigley.
go cubs go!
pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 »

squirrel wrote:

WBBM, WSCR, WLS and WGN all have very strong signals. Don't the Bears rotate among various radio outlets? It always seems strange to me to hear the Bears on WBBM and WLS. But also, WLS and WGN have FM sides too now. I don't know about WBBM.
Agreed, on a clear night I can pick up all of those stations here in Erie, PA.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

squirrel wrote:

WBBM does have an FM station. It's a hit music station known as B96.
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

A few things... WBBM, WGN, and the SCORE all operate on 50,000 watt signals.

The Bears currently have a mult-year contract with WBBM to broadcast their games.

Yes, it is clearly the Ricketts family's intent to maximize revenue streams via broadcast rights. They would be absolute idiots not to. WGN could have kept the Cubs, but they were out bid.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
44 Belly
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by 44 Belly »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
squirrel wrote:

WBBM does have an FM station. It's a hit music station known as B96.
WBBM-AM also is at 105.9 on the FM dial

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/station/wbb ... nd-1059fm/
The rich history of Richwoods Football
27 Conference Championships
30 Playoff Qualifiers
12 Quarterfinal Appearances
7 Semifinal Appearances
Runner-Up: 1987 (5A), 2011 (6A)
State Champions: 1969 (Mythical), 1984 (5A), 1988 (5A)
JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

Beanie wrote:
Yes, it is clearly the Ricketts family's intent to maximize revenue streams via broadcast rights. They would be absolute idiots not to. WGN could have kept the Cubs, but they were out bid.

It sounds like WGN wanted to sell the Cubs air time and have the Cubs sell their own product (BU basketball setup now) versus the CBS bid that was 10 million straight cash.
Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

deejay wrote:WGN has the strongest signal. If you try to get the Bears for any distance late in the day, it is a poor signal. Would this also change the radio announcing team? I'm sure that this is has a Rickett's money making scheme. They are making a mockery out of the team, no matter how they try to say they want baseball at Wrigley.
If modernization of the leagues worst facilities (by a landslide), development of a modern day scouting system (which was also the worst in MLB), improving player development within the minor leagues, rebuilding the farm system talent base (again was the worst in baseball), and pursuing financial deals such as broadcast rights in order to improve a franchise that hasn't won a World Series in 105 years and counting is "making a mockery of the team", someone should have done it a long time ago.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

Not every Redbird means ISU. Seriously just like every Braves doesn't mean the Atlanta Braves
Big Papa Pump
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Big Papa Pump »

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
deejay wrote:WGN has the strongest signal. If you try to get the Bears for any distance late in the day, it is a poor signal. Would this also change the radio announcing team? I'm sure that this is has a Rickett's money making scheme. They are making a mockery out of the team, no matter how they try to say they want baseball at Wrigley.
If modernization of the leagues worst facilities (by a landslide), development of a modern day scouting system (which was also the worst in MLB), improving player development within the minor leagues, rebuilding the farm system talent base (again was the worst in baseball), and pursuing financial deals such as broadcast rights in order to improve a franchise that hasn't won a World Series in 105 years and counting is "making a mockery of the team", someone should have done it a long time ago.
:td :zappl
whitelightening
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by whitelightening »

Big Papa Pump wrote:
Redbird CC Fan wrote:
:td :zappl
I would love to clap and cheer right now too......but my wisdom says to save them until and when the actual proof and results come to fruition and reality. I can only wonder how long I will have to save them for now.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Excellent point - your table ins waiting for you sir! :td
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

It's WBBM AM 780:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/chi ... y=news_mlb

This is probably the motivation to moving to a multi-channel network with several local affiliates, which offers the opportunity to cross-promote:
The Cubs and CBS Radio will also collaborate to create and produce live music events at Wrigley Field.
But the deal turned when CBS did their homework:
He said the turning point in the discussions came in January when CBS executives were discussing the Cubs and knew the stats of players on the Minor League roster.
WBBM will maintain its news format with traffic and weather on the :X8's on the FM side.
"If you're going to play stickball in Canarsie you better learn the Brooklyn rules." -Jack McCoy
Braveman
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)

Post by Braveman »

The Cubs are still on the radio? :shock:
“The powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?”
RickU
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by RickU »

Sort of sad really. I guess when I think of Cubs games being broadcast I think of WGN.