No triple crown... Owner melts down

For the civil discussion of pro sports
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

No triple crown... Owner melts down

Post by dogsrus »

CC fails to win triple crown. Owner probably should have cooled down for 24 hours but in interview he went ballistic complaining about horses being allowed to skip races leading to Belmont. He called it a " cowards" way to win.

His wife was tugging on his suit to get him to relax and he turned and snapped at her slso :lol:

He may have a point but expect him to get raked over the coals for his outburst and calling out the winner as a coward... :shock:
Last edited by dogsrus on Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Re: No trie crown... Owner melts down

Post by soccerforever »

Way to lose with class. :gagr
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

It was an emotional time for the guy. I don't begrudege him for what he said. He was speaking emotionally. God knows what I would say right after one of the most emotional events of my life.

I do understand the guys point some. I too would like to see the same horses in all three races but that's not how it is setup.

Chrome just didn't have it today.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson
Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Re: No triple crown... Owner melts down

Post by Buckeyes1 »

He is dead on correct. I had the same thought and I didn't watch the interview.
Let’s go Brandon
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

[quote="tribecalledquest"]It was an emotional time for the guy. I don't begrudege him for what he said. He was speaking emotionally. God knows what I would say right after one of the most emotional events of my life.

I do understand the guys point some. I too would like to see the same horses in all three races but that's not how it is setup.

Chrome just didn't have it today.

He knew going in what he was up against... Understand he was emotional but he's going to catch some flax for his outburst as he should.

If he's upset with how it's run... Fine vent you angst at the racing commission. Don't call other owners cowards for playing by the rules.
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

For those who haven't seen it yet, here's the video of the rant: [youtube][/youtube]
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

If he's upset with how it's run... Fine vent you angst at the racing commission. Don't call other owners cowards for playing by the rules.
This is correct. The other owners played by the rules, so congratulate the winner.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...
salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life »

It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. Had he not essentially called the other owners cowards, I wouldn't have any problem with what he said. Honestly, I still don't have much of a problem with it. It comes off as sour grapes, but in the heat of the moment.... I get it.
"The Pack Leader"
Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 »

After seeing the interview I'm not sure why people have a problem with it. He didn't say a specific owners name and call him a coward. He pointed out that it has happened in the past to other horses and he gave his honest opinion that it was a cowards way to beat a potential triple crown winner, to which I completely agree. I also agree with his opinion that there will never be another triple crown winner until they change the rule that you can sit out the Preakness and then run the Belmont.
Let’s go Brandon
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

Buckeyes1 wrote:After seeing the interview I'm not sure why people have a problem with it. He didn't say a specific owners name and call him a coward. He pointed out that it has happened in the past to other horses and he gave his honest opinion that it was a cowards way to beat a potential triple crown winner, to which I completely agree. I also agree with his opinion that there will never be another triple crown winner until they change the rule that you can sit out the Preakness and then run the Belmont.
I agree with him too but after losing the race it's not the time to say it. It's like the Yankees calling the Dodgers cowards because they had home field advantage in the WS due to the NL winning the All star game.
LarryBird
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by LarryBird »

I was just telling someone this morning that I do not understand how horses get in these races. How can a horse run the Belmont without having run the Derby at least? Why not just train a horse for the Belmont and collect the cash ? He said exactly what I said about 10 hours ago and I have no clue about horse racing.
The critic is one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
-- Oscar Wilde
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

I love how he turns to his wife and tells her to knock it off - so human and so wonderful!
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation »

I understand how the Triple Crown is the big thing for the casual viewer. But these are 3 different horse races. It's very reasonable that an owner thinks his horse can only run in one or two of the races...and picks and chooses carefully. Each race is its own entity, not tied to the other two.

The arrogance is what gets me. Notice how the owner here melts down because of a disadvantage to his horse and his horse only. Every other owner is responsible for being as successful as possible for his own horse, and not anyone else. As long as everyone acts in their own best interests, I can't see how anyone can get mad.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

That's enough, Steve Smith.
motlee
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by motlee »

From what I have heard on the radio, Tonalist was ill at the time of the Kentucky Derby and that is why the horse didn't run that race.

You pay to get the horses in these races. Look back over the years and a good percentage of horses that lost in the Derby didn't run the Preakness, no chance to win the Triple. They came back in the Belmont. It is the way it is setup, if you have no chance at the triple, why run all three?
hulk
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by hulk »

TheAsianSensation wrote:I understand how the Triple Crown is the big thing for the casual viewer. But these are 3 different horse races. It's very reasonable that an owner thinks his horse can only run in one or two of the races...and picks and chooses carefully. Each race is its own entity, not tied to the other two.

The arrogance is what gets me. Notice how the owner here melts down because of a disadvantage to his horse and his horse only. Every other owner is responsible for being as successful as possible for his own horse, and not anyone else. As long as everyone acts in their own best interests, I can't see how anyone can get mad.
Well said. People want to win big races and make money. They have no obligation to run in any race they think would be a bad business decision. Not everyone tries to win the Triple Crown. Maybe they are happy with just the Preakness or the Belmont. After the Kentucky Derby there is only one horse that can win the "Triple Crown". Why not hold your horse out for the best time to win and cash in.

What is the "Triple Crown" anyway? It's not a race. It's not even 3 races. It's a title that goes to a horse that wins these three separate races. Almost anybody can run in any of these races. Saddle up and shut up.

The media blew this owner up as the "everyday guy", Mr. Bluecollar. Everybody loved those guys. It took him about the same amount of time it did for his horse to lose that last race to destroy whatever good will the media had built up for them. Welcome back to complete obscurity. There won't be a next time, but if there is congratulate the winner, shut your pie hole and wait a week before you tell everybody how your horse got screwed.
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

hulk wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:I understand how the Triple Crown is the big thing for the casual viewer. But these are 3 different horse races. It's very reasonable that an owner thinks his horse can only run in one or two of the races...and picks and chooses carefully. Each race is its own entity, not tied to the other two.

Well said. People want to win big races and make money. They have no obligation to run in any race they think would be a bad business decision. Not everyone tries to win the Triple Crown. Maybe they are happy with just the Preakness or the Belmont. After the Kentucky Derby there is only one horse that can win the "Triple Crown". Why not hold your horse out for the best time to win and cash in.

What is the "Triple Crown" anyway? It's not a race. It's not even 3 races. It's a title that goes to a horse that wins these three separate races. Almost anybody can run in any of these races. Saddle up and shut up.

The media blew this owner up as the "everyday guy", Mr. Bluecollar. Everybody loved those guys. It took him about the same amount of time it did for his horse to lose that last race to destroy whatever good will the media had built up for them. Welcome back to complete obscurity. There won't be a next time, but if there is congratulate the winner, shut your pie hole and wait a week before you tell everybody how your horse got screwed.
Agree...there was a time and place to make your case about the triple crown 'process" but it wasnt directly after your horse got his *** handed to him in the race. And to use the word coward was ridiculous.
Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 »

Seems like it was a pretty good time to do it since it got pretty much everybody talking about it.
Let’s go Brandon
RickU
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by RickU »

LOL oh so classy.