WSCR Dan McNeil Gone...Again!

For the civil discussion of pro sports
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Re: WSCR Dan McNeil Gone...Again!

Post by CIS »

JD wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:02 pm He was stupid and made an inappropriate sexual comment about someone. The company is well within their rights to fire him because they no longer want to be associated with that type of behavior.
Agree, they have their rights. But let's say Aaron Rodgers said that comment. Should he or would he be fired from the Packers? A few years ago I had a coworker (woman) who nudged me and said that a fellow workers (male) outfit made him look like a male stripper - true story. Should she be fired for saying such a remark? I just wonder, that unless a behavior is repeated, if one thoughtless remark (with a few exceptions) should get your fired? Just a few years ago, such remarks got you suspended along with you offering apology. Many people learned from their experiences. Should we maybe be more redemptive as a society? Again, I offer these remarks for discussion sake....
Oskee
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Oskee »

CIS wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:19 pm That's true, for that matter how about middle aged or gray hair woman?
Pam Oliver, Michele Tafoya, Doris Burke...

Linda Cohn and Hannah Storm still in studio.
Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

JMM28 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:27 pmBecause they are bleeding money and looking to get out of any contract that they can right now. If they can launch an expensive dude for cause, they're going to take that opportunity. Like most things, this was more about the bottom line than anything else.
This.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Oskee wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:30 pm
CIS wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:19 pm That's true, for that matter how about middle aged or gray hair woman?
Pam Oliver, Michele Tafoya, Doris Burke...

Linda Cohn and Hannah Storm still in studio.
I was thinking sideline reporter not studio but your point is well taken with Oliver, Tafoya and Burke - although none are heavy set nor have gray hair like some men do. All these women still look good and relatively young for their age. Men can get away with being overweight, bald or have gray hair. It could be argued that looks for women are more highly valued in media. I know that women have complained for many years that as they age they do not get same opportunities as men do when it comes to media and entertainment aspects like Hollywood...maybe things are changing!
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Still missing a female ESPN sideline reporter not fitting the physical profile. She hasn’t been terminated once she hit 50 and is not as thin as the normal.

It’s rare but an example exists.
Michelle Obama criticized Trump for utilizing cages that were built and used by ... Barrack Obama. You seriously can’t make this stuff up. . :lol:

It’s Barrack, not Barack. He built detention barracks so he should be called barrack.
Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

illini25 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:27 pm Still missing a female ESPN sideline reporter not fitting the physical profile. She hasn’t been terminated once she hit 50 and is not as thin as the normal.

It’s rare but an example exists.
Are you thinking Holly Rowe? She is an attractive enough, normal size woman in my opinion. I don't recall seeing her, but I don't watch ESPN too much. Right or wrong on the person you are thinking of, I guess that's the point we are both making.

For those seemingly disagreeing with me that attractiveness isn't a primary consideration for female reporters, Google female sideline reporters. If you told me they were fashion models as opposed to sideline reporters, I couldn't argue with you.

That's what men seem to want particularly in football. We seemingly want male commentators who are opinionated, knowledgeable, and/or guys you'd want to have a beer with. While we want female commentators who look like sideline cheerleaders. At least that's the general feedback the industry has per the way they hire.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Redbird, you are on target.
Michelle Obama criticized Trump for utilizing cages that were built and used by ... Barrack Obama. You seriously can’t make this stuff up. . :lol:

It’s Barrack, not Barack. He built detention barracks so he should be called barrack.
JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD »

CIS wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:02 pm
JD wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:02 pm He was stupid and made an inappropriate sexual comment about someone. The company is well within their rights to fire him because they no longer want to be associated with that type of behavior.
Agree, they have their rights. But let's say Aaron Rodgers said that comment. Should he or would he be fired from the Packers? A few years ago I had a coworker (woman) who nudged me and said that a fellow workers (male) outfit made him look like a male stripper - true story. Should she be fired for saying such a remark? I just wonder, that unless a behavior is repeated, if one thoughtless remark (with a few exceptions) should get your fired? Just a few years ago, such remarks got you suspended along with you offering apology. Many people learned from their experiences. Should we maybe be more redemptive as a society? Again, I offer these remarks for discussion sake....
If the company disagreed then yes
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”