MLB targeting June return?

For the civil discussion of pro sports
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

MLB targeting June return?

Post by squirrel »

A plan is gaining steam that would see MLB return in June, and teams playing in their home stadiums without fans.

Additionally, it would see a unique alignment where the league would divide itself into 3 geographic divisions of 10 teams, and games would be played only within the divisions.

The plan would also feature an expanded playoff format. Earlier word was that they were looking at a format similar to the World Baseball Classic, with levels of pool play before a championship round or series.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 039275001/
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Re: MLB targeting June return?

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

Why realign and change structure at all? Eliminate interleauge play, focus remaining schedule on division and league and move forward with reduced schedule. The teams travel via private jets, etc. so travel shorter or longer is irrelevant to the risk.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite »

Cut the travel risk. Quarantine the 10 eastern in FL, 10 western in AZ, and 10 midwestern at the Field of Dreams. World Series in Dyersville. :farmer

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation »

You have no choice but to realign. NL and AL have 15 teams. Uneven number, so you can't eliminate interleague games by definition. Which means any shortened schedule HAS to include a bunch of interleague games. But a shortened schedule can't include any interleague games in order to ensure local teams play each other enough.

A contradiction. Which means you must realign to get this season in.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

The only real change to the divisions in this version would be Atlanta and Pittsburgh flipping spots with the Braves playing in the Central and the Pirates playing in the East.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:35 pm
You have no choice but to realign. NL and AL have 15 teams. Uneven number, so you can't eliminate interleague games by definition. Which means any shortened schedule HAS to include a bunch of interleague games. But a shortened schedule can't include any interleague games in order to ensure local teams play each other enough.

This is very simple. Each league is 15 teams and each division is 5 teams. This means without interleauge play, each team has 14 opponents.

Play a 3 game home and away series against teams outside your division. That is 60 games (2 x 3 x 10 = 60). Play a 4 game home and away series against teams in your division. That is 32 games (2 x 4 x 4 = 32). You have a 92 game season with no need to reorganize anything.

Having an odd number of teams in each league is irrelevant.

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:32 pm
TheAsianSensation wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:35 pm

This is very simple. Each league is 15 teams and each division is 5 teams. This means without interleauge play, each team has 14 opponents.

Play a 3 game home and away series against teams outside your division. That is 60 games (2 x 3 x 10 = 60). Play a 4 game home and away series against teams in your division. That is 32 games (2 x 4 x 4 = 32). You have a 92 game season with no need to reorganize anything.

Having an odd number of teams in each league is irrelevant.
Completely relevant.

2 teams will always be off for 3 or 4 days. You missed that.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

tombs14 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:13 pm
Completely relevant.

2 teams will always be off for 3 or 4 days. You missed that.
It isn't a problem to me. But if it concerns you, have the 1 NL and 1 AL team that are off play a 3 game series. You are talking about a 14 or 15 week regular season, so likely 1 such series a week would work. Flip a coin to see who hosts or use neutral sites perhaps even spring training sites. Then you have 95 games.

This is much better than coming up with a convoluted, 10 game 3 division mess.

SS01
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by SS01 »

sshoopster
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by sshoopster »

As baseball plots it's return, medical experts weigh in on what's needed
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/bas ... d-n1185276

SS01

Post by SS01 »

Logistical issues which must be reconciled before any decision concerning the start of the season should be made:
-How much of a stockpile of temperature scanners, masks, test kits will a team have? Can’t have priority over hospitals and state departments of health. Will each team have testing facilities at the ballpark? Should players have access to periodic, asymptomatic testing, when it is not available to the general public?
-Everyone entering the ballpark required to have temperature taken and wear masks: players, front office personnel, umpires, groundskeepers, media, concessions workers, vendors, retail shop employees, food and drink servers in luxury boxes?
-All fans required to have temperature taken and wear masks upon entering ballpark? Supplied by the teams? 30K-40K each game? How time-consuming do you think that would be? Sanitize the temperature scanners after each use?
-How do you keep 6 ft. distancing with 30K+ in the stands? Only allow 50% capacity?
-If fans create a disturbance, refuse to wear a mask, who enforces it? What action is taken? How do you enforce 6 ft. distancing and wearing masks in luxury boxes?
-Continuous sanitation of restrooms?
-Sanitation of clubhouses, dugouts, press room?
-I’m sure there are others that don’t immediately come to mind.

The Commissioner has stated that no decision on the starting date will be finalized before issues concerning the safety of all connected to the games has been addressed.

Dr. Anthony Fauci has said that the first priority is to have a stockpile of test kits sufficient to provide testing to everyone in the general public before opening MLB is addressed.

SS01

Post by SS01 »

Experts:quarantine league ideal option
https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-propose-20 ... 34602.html

SS01

Post by SS01 »

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/one- ... ening-day/

The bottom line for both of these articles is that MLB is stuck in neutral until the Covid-19 situation and testing capacity are significantly improved.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Looks like there will be baseball, with 4 of July as opening weekend.

82 games against only divisional and regional foes (only play East/East; Central/Central; West/West etc), universal DH, and 14-team playoffs.

Teams will play in their home parks, unless governmental restrictions prevent it. Toronto may have to play their entire home slate in Florida.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/291 ... s-weigh-it

Other notes, draft could be reduced to 5 rounds, and teams can sign anybody else they want as free agents for up to $20K per.

2021 WBC likely will be canceled, and will be held in 2023.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Looks like the only difference with all this compared to the previously reported plans is the Pirates and Braves staying in their own divisions and not switching as they were under the early reported plan.

SS01

Post by SS01 »

MLBPA Won't Agree to League's Revenue Plan
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/ml ... spartanntp

SS01

Post by SS01 »

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

SS01 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:47 pm
I agree with the players on this. Prorated pay for games played is already a concession by the players particularly since their salaries are guaranteed. The owners have risk by fan attendance already so is a fair balance.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:02 pm
SS01 wrote:
I agree with the players on this. Prorated pay for games played is already a concession by the players particularly since their salaries are guaranteed. The owners have risk by fan attendance already so is a fair balance.
Yes. I know it’s hard for fans to feel bad for players but they are in the right here.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:03 pm
Yes. I know it’s hard for fans to feel bad for players but they are in the right here.
I always find it humourous when fans defend greedy billionaire owners from greedy millionaire players. I think it comes down to thinking being an athlete at the highest level is a lucky gift that takes no work. The argument comes down to "Why should athlete X get paid $Y million, I'd play for free."

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:30 am
tribecalledquest wrote:
I always find it humourous when fans defend greedy billionaire owners from greedy millionaire players. I think it comes down to thinking being an athlete at the highest level is a lucky gift that takes no work. The argument comes down to "Why should athlete X get paid $Y million, I'd play for free."
We are 100% in agreement on this. Why fans carry owners water is beyond me.
~Thomas Jefferson

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Redbird CC Fan wrote:
SS01 wrote:
So just to play devils advocate on this a bit, would the 50-50 split actually be beneficial to players because it would require the league and teams to open their books to the union?

Now I don’t agree at all with what Blake Snell came out and said yesterday. He stated he would not play unless he was paid his full salary. He wants full pay for half the work? I’ll try that with my boss “hey I only want to work 4 hours but I want to be paid for 8”. Statements like that are what make me feel less bad for the players.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:14 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Redbird CC Fan wrote:

So just to play devils advocate on this a bit, would the 50-50 split actually be beneficial to players because it would require the league and teams to open their books to the union?

Now I don’t agree at all with what Blake Snell came out and said yesterday. He stated he would not play unless he was paid his full salary. He wants full pay for half the work? I’ll try that with my boss “hey I only want to work 4 hours but I want to be paid for 8”. Statements like that are what make me feel less bad for the players.
^^ 100 - Blake Snell has been riding on his high horse lately.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Most of these players grew up in the feel-good era after baseball basically killed itself in 1994.

Unfortunately, the players never learned the lessons that baseball and the owners did.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:14 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Redbird CC Fan wrote:

I think that would be a good idea if I felt confident the owners would be transparent with their books and didn’t show doctored versions.
~Thomas Jefferson