All Star Game

For the civil discussion of pro sports
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Re: All Star Game

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

wolverine55 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:25 am I still don't think it was a very well-thought out decision. If what I've read is true (I can only go by what others say) Colorado's voter restrictions are just as tight if not more so and MLB took $60-100 million of projected revenue (depending on what source read) out of a largely African-American city.
Colorado has universal mail in voting and 94% of Colorado residents used that method in the 2020 election. Here's some of the other facts when comparing Colorado's voter ID laws to Georgia's new laws: https://www.factcheck.org/2021/04/mlb-a ... s-georgia/
Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:30 pm
wolverine55 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:25 am I still don't think it was a very well-thought out decision. If what I've read is true (I can only go by what others say) Colorado's voter restrictions are just as tight if not more so and MLB took $60-100 million of projected revenue (depending on what source read) out of a largely African-American city.
Colorado has universal mail in voting and 94% of Colorado residents used that method in the 2020 election. Here's some of the other facts when comparing Colorado's voter ID laws to Georgia's new laws: https://www.factcheck.org/2021/04/mlb-a ... s-georgia/
New York is still more restrictive. You know, where MLB makes their home office.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/05/sorry-sch ... -than-nys/
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32
Butler Blue
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Butler Blue »

This comes off as splitting hairs to rationalize your side.
Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

I have yet to hear how supplying the last 4 digits of your SSN, a copy of a free state ID, a copy of a utility bill with your name and address, or any of the basic ID requested in this bill is onerous when using a mail in ballot.

These measures seem very basic to ensure the person who filled out the ballot is the person who's name is on the ballot. Without such basic security, there will always be questions right or wrong about the validity of mail in ballots.
pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 »

Redbird CC Fan wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:11 am I have yet to hear how supplying the last 4 digits of your SSN, a copy of a free state ID, a copy of a utility bill with your name and address, or any of the basic ID requested in this bill is onerous when using a mail in ballot.

These measures seem very basic to ensure the person who filled out the ballot is the person who's name is on the ballot. Without such basic security, there will always be questions right or wrong about the validity of mail in ballots.
Everyone is so hung up on the ID portion of this but doesn’t care that the legislature was also given the authority to unilaterally challenge any election they don’t like the results of with someone appointed by the legislature and not an elected official? They can also remove election commissioners for no cause. I don’t think anyone has a problem with needing an ID to vote, but that seems to be everyone’s focus...
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

pndbaseball12 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:49 am
Redbird CC Fan wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:11 am I have yet to hear how supplying the last 4 digits of your SSN, a copy of a free state ID, a copy of a utility bill with your name and address, or any of the basic ID requested in this bill is onerous when using a mail in ballot.

Everyone is so hung up on the ID portion of this but doesn’t care that the legislature was also given the authority to unilaterally challenge any election they don’t like the results of with someone appointed by the legislature and not an elected official? They can also remove election commissioners for no cause. I don’t think anyone has a problem with needing an ID to vote, but that seems to be everyone’s focus...
This. 100% this. Any legit read into this topic and the ID issue isn’t even among the major issues people have with this legislation.

The idea that a partisan appointee can challenge election results just because people didn’t like the end game is very very scary to democracy. It’s the “I didn’t like the final outcome so I will pick someone to overturn it because my feelings got hurt” solution. We teach our seven year olds to be better sports than this.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson
Butler Blue
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Butler Blue »

tribecalledquest wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:17 am

This. 100% this. Any legit read into this topic and the ID issue isn’t even among the major issues people have with this legislation.

The idea that a partisan appointee can challenge election results just because people didn’t like the end game is very very scary to democracy. It’s the “I didn’t like the final outcome so I will pick someone to overturn it because my feelings got hurt” solution. We teach our seven year olds to be better sports than this.
Good and fair point, but that's never been the headline.
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Butler Blue wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:18 pm

No. It hasn't. That's for sure. It's not as "sexy" and it actually should be non-partisan.
~Thomas Jefferson
pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 »

But it’s why most people have taken umbrage at the law, not because of the voter ID portion. The ID portion is what is getting spun as the “hot button” issue of the law when that’s not the case.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda
Butler Blue
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Butler Blue »

pndbaseball12 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:50 pm

But it’s why most people have taken umbrage at the law, not because of the voter ID portion. The ID portion is what is getting spun as the “hot button” issue of the law when that’s not the case.
But it is the issue that has been attached to claims of racism via voter suppression.
oftenrunning52
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by oftenrunning52 »

Struggling to find this in the bill. It changes the committee that overseas local election commissions, and yes it does give the party with the majority more say. But it removes the Secretary of State from the committee (a Democratic demand after the 2018 governor race where the current Secretary of State was running for governor). They can NOT overturn the results of an election and have to go through several steps before reaching the drastic step of removing a local election commission. This may be related to Fulton County and their poor running of the last few elections (primary and general, where in the primary they "misplaced" votes), but even if that's the case, it will take much more to enact this part of the law.
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012-2019 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place and 2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2017 Girls IHSA Cross Country State Champions
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Butler Blue wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:00 am
This comes off as splitting hairs to rationalize your side.
A link from a site called factcheck is considered splitting hairs?
pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 »

Butler Blue wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:08 pm

But it is the issue that has been attached to claims of racism via voter suppression.
Potentially having your votes not counted because someone didn’t like the way you voted can also come off as racist. Full disclosure: I think you should have an ID to vote. The other measures in this law are why MLB, in my opinion, decided to move the game. Not because of the ID portion.
-Tommy Lasorda
Butler Blue
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Butler Blue »

pndbaseball12 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:44 pm

Potentially having your votes not counted because someone didn’t like the way you voted can also come off as racist. Full disclosure: I think you should have an ID to vote. The other measures in this law are why MLB, in my opinion, decided to move the game. Not because of the ID portion.
Fair enough. My position comes from how this was presented by the media. Featured concerns have seemed to be Voter ID (racism) and no bottled water (human rights). What I'm hearing here is that the reasoning was actually something completely different. It kind of makes it seem like once it was pointed out that other states also require an ID that a better argument for moving the game needed to be made. Perhaps I just never read deep enough into it.
JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

Butler Blue wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:52 am

Fair enough. My position comes from how this was presented by the media. Featured concerns have seemed to be Voter ID (racism) and no bottled water (human rights). What I'm hearing here is that the reasoning was actually something completely different. It kind of makes it seem like once it was pointed out that other states also require an ID that a better argument for moving the game needed to be made. Perhaps I just never read deep enough into it.
That was my perception of things too.

The bottled water thing was a laugher. But also why the hell is there anywhere in the United States where people have to wait hours to vote?

The reality of the situation is that the folks calling for boycotts of Georgia or various Georgia entities (including President Biden) are doing more harm to Georgia and its population than this bill could ever do. But all of politics is innately hypocritical, so I shouldn't be surprised.
pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 »

JMM28 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:04 am

The bottled water thing was a laugher. But also why the hell is there anywhere in the United States where people have to wait hours to vote?
Because they cut polling places in densely populated areas and the long lines may discourage people from voting. It’s by design. My thought on the bottled water and food thing is if you think someone giving a bottle of water or a snack to someone waiting in line is going to swing their vote maybe you should have campaigned better. Also how insecure of yourself do you need to be to think that would sway anyone’s vote?
-Tommy Lasorda
Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

The irony is that many concerned about changes to election oversight in Georgia were those saying electors should go rogue and vote for Hillary or the House should overturn the board certified election in 2020.

The fact is if this is a political process in Georgia, winning a single election flips it the other way. Also, the fact only the 2 major parties have representation in the process for most states should be a cause of concern.

The main reason Biden won many of the swing states Hillary lost is the Democratic party used election board and judicial challenges through state courts with Democrat appointed judges to keep the Green party and other candidates off the 2020 ballot. In 2016, these candidates kept deciding votes from going to Clinton. In 2020, those candidates weren't there.
sshoopster
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by sshoopster »

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

sshoopster wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:43 am MLB Cruising to Win in Culture War
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 124180002/
Cool story, bro.
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Redbird CC Fan wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:36 am
The main reason Biden won many of the swing states Hillary lost is the Democratic party used election board and judicial challenges through state courts with Democrat appointed judges to keep the Green party and other candidates off the 2020 ballot. In 2016, these candidates kept deciding votes from going to Clinton. In 2020, those candidates weren't there.
The main reason Biden won is because people hated Donald Trump. Just like the main reason Trump won in 2016 is people hated Hillary Clinton. Negative emotions drive people more than positive ones.
~Thomas Jefferson
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

The reality of the situation is that the folks calling for boycotts of Georgia or various Georgia entities (including President Biden) are doing more harm to Georgia and its population than this bill could ever do. But all of politics is innately hypocritical, so I shouldn't be surprised.
I agree with this. It's been said before but Stacy Abrams was 100% against MLB moving the All Star game out of Atlanta. She knows the economic impact it has on the city - and the African American community.
~Thomas Jefferson
Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

tribecalledquest wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:48 am
Redbird CC Fan wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:36 am
The main reason Biden won is because people hated Donald Trump. Just like the main reason Trump won in 2016 is people hated Hillary Clinton. Negative emotions drive people more than positive ones.
Agree with this on popular vote, overall. Biden wasn't that inspiring and had plenty of baggage too particularly with progressive voters. This is why I focused on swing states and progressive candidates just like the Democratic party did. Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, etc. These states we're projected to be close and Democrats feared votes getting pulled from Biden in 2020 like happened to Clinton in 2016 by progressive candidates.

Trump won Pennsylvania by 44k in 2016. The Green Party candidate got 49k votes. Without the Green Party candidate, those votes go to Clinton vs Trump and Clinton wins that state. Wisconsin and other swing states with thin margins in 2016 saw the same.

In 2020, Biden won Pennsylvania by 80k with only Democrat, Republican, and Libertarian candidates on the ballot. There were no progressive candidates on the ballot and Democrats made sure of this. Libertarian voters lean conservative more than Democrat, so the lack of other liberal candidates on the ballot made a huge difference. Adding Green and other progressive party candidates to the ballot while restricting Libertarians would have pushed Pennsylvania to Trump. Wisconsin even more so where the general election was even tighter. This isn't me making it up, It is documented in tons of articles the strategy being followed.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

pndbaseball12 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:34 am

Because they cut polling places in densely populated areas and the long lines may discourage people from voting. It’s by design. My thought on the bottled water and food thing is if you think someone giving a bottle of water or a snack to someone waiting in line is going to swing their vote maybe you should have campaigned better. Also how insecure of yourself do you need to be to think that would sway anyone’s vote?
Handing a water bottle with a political message to someone can make a difference.
At my polling place one party has large signs exactly 100 feet from the polling place entrance. They found a friendly neighbor who has signs up all year (various signs). Name recognition matters.
CNN’s Charlie Chester: “Trump’s hand was shaking or whatever. We brought in so many medical people to all tell a story that was all speculation. We were creating a story there that we didn’t know anything about. I think that’s propaganda.”
fris
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by fris »

[quote=tribecalledquest post_id=1578615 time=1617401325 user_id=16412]
[quote=Buckeyes1 post_id=1578614 time=1617401104 user_id=12038]
[quote=tribecalledquest post_id=1578607 time=1617400170 user_id=16412]

No the Jackie Robinson issue absolutely was about more than baseball. Come on man.

It’s amazing how all of these voting laws became “common sense” once Republicans started losing more. If you don’t think these voting laws have something to do with Republicans getting their butts beat then you are naive as hell.
[/quote]

But it directly related to baseball since he was you know....playing baseball. Do you really not see the difference? If not, to use your words “you are naive as hell.” I would sub out naive for dumb though.

Explain to me how asking for an ID to vote is racist. Since it is so obvious to you that it is, please explain to me.
[/quote]

It's not JUST the voter ID law. There are a lot more to these laws and you know it. I know you are trying to paint this as an altruistic move by Republicans but it is also rooted in the fact they got their butts beat and wanted to make it harder for certain people to vote. It's amazing how these became such important issues to concerned Georgia Republicans. Not in 2012. Or 2016. Or 2004. Or 2008.
[/quote]
Exactly how does it make it harder for ''certain'' people to vote? I guess you don't think those ''certain'' people are capable of acquiring a free ID. Which of course you still need certain items to get one.
Butler Blue
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Butler Blue »

This feels played out. I apologize for any and all contributions I made in extending it. It seems as if everyone has properly declared. :D