2021-22 Schedule and Home court talk

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

2021-22 Schedule and Home court talk

Post by squirrel »

Getting this one started with what we know:

(Italicized indicates could be subject to change)

Home
St. Joseph's

Away
Toledo - Originally scheduled return game from last season, schools may count last year's tournament game and end the series
South Dakota State

Holiday Tournament
Paradise Jam Colorado, Colorado St, Creighton, Duquesne, Northeastern, Brown, SIU
Last edited by squirrel on Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You're only as good as your last game in this business; always know that. You're never as good as you think, you're never as bad as you think." - Brian Wardle
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Re: 2021-22 Schedule

Post by squirrel »

This was funny from DI Docket

"You're only as good as your last game in this business; always know that. You're never as good as you think, you're never as bad as you think." - Brian Wardle
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

I know there's not an opponents thread on here yet but here's a look at what Colorado has for next season in addition to the Paradise Jam: https://www.buffzone.com/2021/04/06/kan ... asketball/
Butler Blue
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)

Post by Butler Blue »

In anticipation of a likely uninspiring home schedule and a significant drop in season ticket holders, what's the number of fans at home games at Carver Arena that would lead you as a fan to encourage Bradley to move games on campus? For instance, I would expect fewer than 3,000 fans per game throughout the non-conference season, and maybe only more than 4,000 fans for 3-4 conference games. At what point would the atmosphere of a 70% - 75% empty Carver Arena impact your experience?
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

Butler Blue wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:49 am In anticipation of a likely uninspiring home schedule and a significant drop in season ticket holders, what's the number of fans at home games at Carver Arena that would lead you as a fan to encourage Bradley to move games on campus? For instance, I would expect fewer than 3,000 fans per game throughout the non-conference season, and maybe only more than 4,000 fans for 3-4 conference games. At what point would the atmosphere of a 70% - 75% empty Carver Arena impact your experience?
Anything less than 50% capacity makes it a pretty bad atmosphere IMO.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

The digging in on playing at PCC is ridiculous. I've always been OK playing select (not ALL) non-conference games at the RC.

Although, if social distancing is still a thing during the early part of the season, play at PCC. That's in part why the TBT is playing at Carver this summer.

Just make it a little darker over the crowd in PCC and you won't notice the empty seats as much. :lol:
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

squirrel wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:44 am The digging in on playing at PCC is ridiculous. I've always been OK playing select (not ALL) non-conference games at the RC.

Although, if social distancing is still a thing during the early part of the season, play at PCC. That's in part why the TBT is playing at Carver this summer.

Just make it a little darker over the crowd in PCC and you won't notice the empty seats as much. :lol:
I totally agree with this squirrel. If Bradley feels compelled to continue playing half empty games at Carver they really should consider curtaining off the upper bowl and moving everyone into the lower bowl.
JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

Braves4Life wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:56 am
squirrel wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:44 am The digging in on playing at PCC is ridiculous. I've always been OK playing select (not ALL) non-conference games at the RC.

I totally agree with this squirrel. If Bradley feels compelled to continue playing half empty games at Carver they really should consider curtaining off the upper bowl and moving everyone into the lower bowl.
Yeah but at that point, why not just save the 15k+++ per game and play at the RC? It is basically the Civic Center lower bowl in generic form.
QC Brave
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by QC Brave »

In 2019-20 with a non-con home slate that wasn't especially attractive every game had an announced attendance of over 4400 (RC capacity). We were over 6000 three times. 11 games had between 5000 and 6000 fans.

If the STH base does drop significantly, it's hard to justify paying to play downtown.
Butler Blue

Post by Butler Blue »

QC Brave wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:28 am In 2019-20 with a non-con home slate that wasn't especially attractive every game had an announced attendance of over 4400 (RC capacity). We were over 6000 three times. 11 games had between 5000 and 6000 fans.
I can't imagine the season ticket base not declining.

I've been told by a former Civic Center employee that "butts in seats" vs announced is significant. i.e. If the announced attendance is 5,000, actual is probably closer to 3,000 - 3,500. I would guess that the crowds for every non-con game over the past 2 seasons would have actually fit in Renaissance Coliseum. My point is that I'm definitely concerned with the atmosphere.

On another note, as I read yet another article tossing bouquets at Loyola and referring to them as one of the top mid-major programs in the country, not one of them belabored the point that they play in a building that holds fewer than 5,000 fans.
AllStateMidstate
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by AllStateMidstate »

If games are at PCC,they need to find a way to get everybody as close as possible,otherwise it’s not a very good atmosphere...during current situation
JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

Butler Blue wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:43 am
QC Brave wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:28 am In 2019-20 with a non-con home slate that wasn't especially attractive every game had an announced attendance of over 4400 (RC capacity). We were over 6000 three times. 11 games had between 5000 and 6000 fans.

I've been told by a former Civic Center employee that "butts in seats" vs announced is significant. i.e. If the announced attendance is 5,000, actual is probably closer to 3,000 - 3,500. I would guess that the crowds for every non-con game over the past 2 seasons would have actually fit in Renaissance Coliseum. My point is that I'm definitely concerned with the atmosphere.

On another note, as I read yet another article tossing bouquets at Loyola and referring to them as one of the top mid-major programs in the country, not one of them belabored the point that they play in a building that holds fewer than 5,000 fans.

One of the points that is often overlooked or dismissed is the idea of a secondary market for BU tickets. Right now there isn't really a secondary market because you can generally get tickets for **** near nothing if you try a bit. If tickets were limited to 4500 or so, those who had season tickets would be able to re-sell their unused games at a decent amount. That would then drive a bit of demand for season tickets amongst fans and corporations.
pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 »

This isn’t surprising honestly. I think to make RC a more “tolerable” (for lack of a better term) venue it just needs to be less sterile. It is a very sterile building. Look at what Loyola did to Gentile. It was a high school gym before. Now it looks like a legitimate arena with their branding EVERYWHERE. RC has none of that in for all intents and purposes the “same” style building. Now that engineering study that was done that could add a ring of seats to it, if that could be done I think there would be no question to make the move. Would the city allow it though? Even set up a “tier” system that if “tickets sold” reaches X amount the game will be moved downtown. I don’t know how they could do that on a quick notice, but I feel like it could be done in some way, especially since it feels like Bradley was always the last dog to the bowl when it comes to PCC scheduling.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

JMM28 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:42 am
One of the points that is often overlooked or dismissed is the idea of a secondary market for BU tickets. Right now there isn't really a secondary market because you can generally get tickets for **** near nothing if you try a bit. If tickets were limited to 4500 or so, those who had season tickets would be able to re-sell their unused games at a decent amount. That would then drive a bit of demand for season tickets amongst fans and corporations.
Good point. . .although the product still has to be something that can sell. The opponents generally aren't going to compel buyers. So the team has to. But I'm all about making it a premium.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Except, I oppose curtaining off sections. I think it looks cheap and pathetic.
JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

pndbaseball12 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:46 am

This isn’t surprising honestly. I think to make RC a more “tolerable” (for lack of a better term) venue it just needs to be less sterile. It is a very sterile building. Look at what Loyola did to Gentile. It was a high school gym before. Now it looks like a legitimate arena with their branding EVERYWHERE. RC has none of that in for all intents and purposes the “same” style building. Now that engineering study that was done that could add a ring of seats to it, if that could be done I think there would be no question to make the move. Would the city allow it though? Even set up a “tier” system that if “tickets sold” reaches X amount the game will be moved downtown. I don’t know how they could do that on a quick notice, but I feel like it could be done in some way, especially since it feels like Bradley was always the last dog to the bowl when it comes to PCC scheduling.
The "city won't allow it" thing is a bit old and overblown at this point. It could have been true at one point because one of the Guys in charge of things like business affairs for BU was very much a "Why we can't do this" type instead of a "why we can do this." Now that he has been put out to pasture, I assume some of the *** backwards things from a business standpoint will be straightened out. The city is also in a much different position than 15 years ago. New people there. Ross Black still exists as a puss filled sore on the nut sack of the city, but other than that the city is much easier to deal with.

If BU wanted to add some seating or blow the roof off RC, it could be done from a zoning/permit/whatever basis. Money would be the biggest thing standing in the way at this point.
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

JMM28 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:41 am

The "city won't allow it" thing is a bit old and overblown at this point. It could have been true at one point because one of the Guys in charge of things like business affairs for BU was very much a "Why we can't do this" type instead of a "why we can do this." Now that he has been put out to pasture, I assume some of the *** backwards things from a business standpoint will be straightened out. The city is also in a much different position than 15 years ago. New people there. Ross Black still exists as a puss filled sore on the nut sack of the city, but other than that the city is much easier to deal with.

If BU wanted to add some seating or blow the roof off RC, it could be done from a zoning/permit/whatever basis. Money would be the biggest thing standing in the way at this point.
Good points. I’m not a Peoria guy but I’ve thought the worries about “but the city!” were overblown. I’m also big on making a BU ticket a big deal - along with the secondary market.

I’ve been to so many Gentile Arena sized places that are absolutely perfect. We can live in 2021 and beyond or keep thinking it’s going to be 1987 again.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson
dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 »

It’s kinda like the saying that you don’t build the church for Easter Sunday.
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"
Butler Blue

Post by Butler Blue »

squirrel wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:56 am

Except, I oppose curtaining off sections. I think it looks cheap and pathetic.
Won't happen, because it would be another expense that I'm sure the athletic department would have to incur.
Butler Blue

Post by Butler Blue »

dss03 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:14 pm

It’s kinda like the saying that you don’t build the church for Easter Sunday.
That's a great comp.
pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 »

Thanks JMM, been out of Peoria for a while so honestly didn’t know if it had flipped at all.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda
Butler Blue

Post by Butler Blue »

The assumption of course has to be made that the university would invest in making Renaissance Coliseum a more inviting environment. That pretty much goes without saying.
JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

pndbaseball12 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:16 pm

Thanks JMM, been out of Peoria for a while so honestly didn’t know if it had flipped at all.
The city still makes a habit on stepping on its own richard in many situations, but its not nearly as bad as the "Won't someone think of the children!" Hooters debacle or the "Gambling is a sin" issues with the Paradice.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

There were other factors at play at the same time, including a ploy to help position Aaron Schock for financial gain and boost his campaign coffers as part of the building of the RC and the requisite land grab, too. . .so there were a lot of politics being played at the time of construction of the RC. Gary Anna was having to deal with that. . .I know it wasn't what people wanted, but the facility was also being constructed for something OTHER than men's basketball. The need for an on-campus arena for MBB was not even on the radar at the time, in context of everything else, nor should it have been.

That said, yes, the city council is completely different now. But let's not revise history. Two things can be true.

If there was small thinking involved, it was on the part of Broski, not Anna. Anna took some financial risk just to ensure the facility got built at all (in large part because some of the bigger donations started to balk because the proposal was not what they hoped or were under the impression (falsely) it was going to be. I know people didn't like him because he was a crafty bean counter, and had some business savvy. In many ways, the angst toward him has taken on a life of its own-people start to believe ridiculous things about him just because people have an axe to grind, like they did with Joanne. Half the stuff people believed about Joanne was insane and hilarious.
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

Isn't the new mayor of Peoria a BU grad? If I'm BU I'd reconfigure the RC to fit the new normal and use the PCC for big time games. You can figure to play the ISUr game every year at the PCC and 3-4 other ones as well.

Ideally you can expand the footprint of the RC and add high end box seats for corporate sponsors and make sure you add great cushion seats around the floor for those that donate a ton to the University. You'd also need to take care of the parking issues, especially for the older fans. I'd offer anyone 65+ a place to park with door to door service and make the lot really close to a place they can grab a bite before the game. You have to make going to the game an event and not just a game. The better NBA teams even makes going to their games an event.
As Desmond Tutu said: “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”