NCAA Tournament

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Re: NCAA Tournament

Post by SFP »

diehard braves fan wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:00 pm When did carrying the ball become legal? It looks to me like 45 for Baylor does it almost constantly. Unless my eyes are deceiving me.
That was a fast pace game and overall I thought the reffs did a pretty good job. By allowing a physical game there was a nice flow to both team's offense.
As Desmond Tutu said: “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

SFP wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:36 pm
diehard braves fan wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:00 pm When did carrying the ball become legal? It looks to me like 45 for Baylor does it almost constantly. Unless my eyes are deceiving me.
That was a fast pace game and overall I thought the reffs did a pretty good job. By allowing a physical game there was a nice flow to both team's offense.
That was a fun game to watch. Man, there were some ATHLETES on the floor in that game.
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

Braves4Life wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:55 am
SFP wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:36 pm
That was a fun game to watch. Man, there were some ATHLETES on the floor in that game.
I have a feeling Arkansas was overwhelming everyone with their speed and athleticism but Baylor had enough of those types plus skill players that were good enough to not turn over the ball and make buckets.

In tonight's game I'd rather have had USC play Michigan. Gonzaga has that players and passing skills to nullify USC's athleticism. Suggs to me is the real deal. He'll be a top 3 pick in the draft. I expect Michigan to beat UCLA but they would have had a harder time against USC if that was the match up.
As Desmond Tutu said: “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

Brooks family will be going head to head in The Final Four. I saw a video of AB Jr. with AB III hugging and both with wide grins.
dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 »

dss03 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:16 am
squirrel wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:11 am
We’re seeing how much the reduced non-conference limited the ability to analyze the full college basketball landscape in real time here.

I will definitely be tuning in to Gonzaga and USC. Interesting matchup between an offensive juggernaut that feasts in scoring around the rim against the program that defends the basket so well.
Well, not all that interesting, as it turns out.
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"
spoon
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by spoon »

I can’t remember a tournament where it was so hard to even imagine a team losing. You go into these Gonzaga games thinking they’re going to win by 20 each time.
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

spoon wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:30 pm I can’t remember a tournament where it was so hard to even imagine a team losing. You go into these Gonzaga games thinking they’re going to win by 20 each time.
Until they meet Houston or Baylor. Baylor may be their kryptonite.
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

Braves4Life wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:02 pm
spoon wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:30 pm I can’t remember a tournament where it was so hard to even imagine a team losing. You go into these Gonzaga games thinking they’re going to win by 20 each time.
Until they meet Houston or Baylor. Baylor may be their kryptonite.
Gonzaga passing game can negate the speed of Baylor. IMO It will be Baylor vs Gonzaga for the championship. Suggs will be the difference maker.
jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

I had good intentions of watching the Michigan game, but 9pm on a tuesday , after chasing grandkids..well i fell asleep at tip off and woke up at 530am. Sounds like a good game.

I did think the official that collapsed during the first game was dead. I rewound the scene to the play before, as he came from the baseline to the sideline he looked dazed, and he actually stumbled. The play and camera then shifted to the other end of the court. He never made it down there, and no one noticed until the play came back to the usc end of the court. Even people right behind the bench because all eyes moved to the other end, but he passed out while the play was on the gonzaga end. It was a surreal moment for sure.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!
bravesfan69
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by bravesfan69 »

jim beam wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:23 am I had good intentions of watching the Michigan game, but 9pm on a tuesday , after chasing grandkids..well i fell asleep at tip off and woke up at 530am. Sounds like a good game.

I did think the official that collapsed during the first game was dead. I rewound the scene to the play before, as he came from the baseline to the sideline he looked dazed, and he actually stumbled. The play and camera then shifted to the other end of the court. He never made it down there, and no one noticed until the play came back to the usc end of the court. Even people right behind the bench because all eyes moved to the other end, but he passed out while the play was on the gonzaga end. It was a surreal moment for sure.
Yeah, I'm wondering if he had a sudden drop in blood pressure for some reason. I've had that happen.

Basically, you get super dizzy and very clammy. You see stars, then next thing you know, you're waking up with people looking at you funny. Then you get IV fluids and lay down for a bit and feel better quickly. Usually within an hour.

When it's happened to me, it was a result of not hydrating properly and/or stress.

It pretty much blows.
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

This must be a really great feeling for the Brooks' family.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

tribecalledquest wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:57 am Here is an interesting take as well. I'm not saying I agree with it - but people fall in love with three-four week stretches of amazing play and then get blinded about what happens the rest of the time - which is a far greater sample.

Mills gets "long term" deal at ORU, but no details yet on duration or $$$
"You're only as good as your last game in this business; always know that. You're never as good as you think, you're never as bad as you think." - Brian Wardle
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

Picking Baylor to win if they can keep Houston from killing it on the offensive board. Baylor can play at a controlled fast pace and that will be the difference.

Picking Gonzaga to beat UCLA. Gonzaga just needs to keep playing the complete game they've played all year and not let UCLA stay too close. If UCLA is within 10 with 4 minutes left all bets are off. Gonzaga has had periods this season where they go on cruise control instead of dictating their play. Gonzaga's bench is much better then UCLA's and that should be the difference.
spoon
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by spoon »

Ok that’s one of the greatest tournament games I’ve seen.
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

spoon wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:17 pm Ok that’s one of the greatest tournament games I’ve seen.
100%.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson
JD2.0
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD2.0 »

Best game in long time. What a battle
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

tribecalledquest wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:26 pm
spoon wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:17 pm Ok that’s one of the greatest tournament games I’ve seen.
100%.
Plus what JD said. Even my wife was ranting how good the game was. They both left it all on the floor.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

I'm probably in the minority here, but it really irritated me that UCLA was in the Final Four, not because of who they are, but simply because none of the others had won a National Championship. So, I am ecstatic with a Baylor-Gonzaga Final! And not just because of that, but because they are flatly the 2 best teams in the country this year.
"You're only as good as your last game in this business; always know that. You're never as good as you think, you're never as bad as you think." - Brian Wardle
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

squirrel wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:50 am I'm probably in the minority here, but it really irritated me that UCLA was in the Final Four, not because of who they are, but simply because none of the others had won a National Championship. So, I am ecstatic with a Baylor-Gonzaga Final! And not just because of that, but because they are flatly the 2 best teams in the country this year.
I'm glad as well that it is Gonzaga vs Baylor. I'm pulling for Gonzaga for multiple reasons. Now being irritated on UCLA? LOL They deserved to be in The Final Four and proved tonight that they belonged. :drunk
Butler Blue
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)

Post by Butler Blue »

So does UCLA's performance in this year's tournament confirm that the committee is probably right when they go with 1 more P5 instead of a "deserving" mid-major?
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Butler Blue wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:27 am So does UCLA's performance in this year's tournament confirm that the committee is probably right when they go with 1 more P5 instead of a "deserving" mid-major?
First Four teams that won subsequent games:

2011 VCU (4 later round wins, not counting First Four)
2013 La Salle (2)
2015 Dayton (1)
2016 Wichita St (1)
2017 USC (1)
2018 Syracuse (2)
2021 UCLA (4)

So, non-major conference teams have racked up more wins from a First Four position, although the last 3 teams to advance multiple rounds have been P5s.
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 »

Butler Blue wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:27 am So does UCLA's performance in this year's tournament confirm that the committee is probably right when they go with 1 more P5 instead of a "deserving" mid-major?
I'll ask this...

What mid didn't make it this year that had such an overwhelmingly strong case?
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

Well was UCLA under seeded or perhaps this year was just very hard to figure out who was good or not. The west coast teams in both the men and women have done very well compared to their seeds.
LJSites
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by LJSites »

Looks pretty even to me from the play-in round. Recency bias might tell you P5 is better suited. To me it’s more about how you ended up in that slot.

UCLA was going to win the PAC-# before they lost something like 3-4 in a row to end their regular season. They went from at least a 6-seed, likely higher, to a play-in team.

They also had easily one of the best individual performances in whole tournament.

To me you can’t conclude that .500 or worse (in-conference) P5 teams deserve more at-large bids, likely via the play-in game, than mid-majors based on this case. Syracuse is the only team I remember bracket-busting after a truly subpar season.
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

LJSites wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:03 pm
UCLA was going to win the PAC-# before they lost something like 3-4 in a row to end their regular season. They went from at least a 6-seed, likely higher, to a play-in team.
I think UCLA lost 4 games to close the out their season, and all of those losses came to tournament teams -- USC, OSU, OU, and CU. They are simply a young teams that probably learned from those losses and got hot at the right time. Plus, Mick Cronin has always been a little underrated as a coach IMO and this tournament established him as one of the top coaches in college basketball.