State Finals

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

State Finals

Post by squirrel »

Vote to determine hosting sites for both Boys and Girls state tournaments from 2021-23 to take place on Monday. The Peoria Civic Center is bidding for both. Champaign is the other finalist to host the Boys tournament, while Redbird Arena in Normal is bidding to retain the Girls tournament.

https://www.myjournalcourier.com/sports ... 330519.php

Beginning in 2021, all 4 classes will now take place during the same week, with the Girls taking place March 4-6, and Boys tournament March 11-13.
"You're only as good as your last game in this business; always know that. You're never as good as you think, you're never as bad as you think." - Brian Wardle
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Re: State Finals

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

The fact that they're doing all the finals the same weekend could potentially give Peoria a better chance to host it. But who knows at this point. The Valley Tournament would be the same weekend as the girls tournament and the B1G Tournament would be the same weekend as the boy's tournament.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

I really felt the the IHSA would move boys back to Champaign when they released the new format, making a complete changeover. However, when the virus canceled everything, leaving Peoria with a large financial hit. I believe that it gave Peoria another chance. Slugger has the ideal place to host the softball state tourney, including inside facilities if needed. My prediction, Boys to Peoria, Girls BB at ISU and softball to Louisville Sluggers.
go cubs go!
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Boys returning to Champaign, and the Girls are staying in Normal.

"You're only as good as your last game in this business; always know that. You're never as good as you think, you're never as bad as you think." - Brian Wardle
JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

A blow to the Peoria ego, but the state finals was ruined when they went to 4 classes. The IHSA destroyed what was a really high level event in favor of giving out more trophies.

Even when Manual made an appearance with the Damonte/Youngman team a few years back, there was just no energy at all.

Best of luck to Champaign. I am sure the price gouging and lackluster amenities that caused the move from Champaign will come right back.
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

JMM28 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:51 pm A blow to the Peoria ego, but the state finals was ruined when they went to 4 classes. The IHSA destroyed what was a really high level event in favor of giving out more trophies.

Even when Manual made an appearance with the Damonte/Youngman team a few years back, there was just no energy at all.

Best of luck to Champaign. I am sure the price gouging and lackluster amenities that caused the move from Champaign will come right back.
100%
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson
BUFanatic
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)

Post by BUFanatic »

JMM28 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:51 pm A blow to the Peoria ego, but the state finals was ruined when they went to 4 classes. The IHSA destroyed what was a really high level event in favor of giving out more trophies.

I would expect Peoria to get it back at some point in the near future. I don’t remember the tournament in Chambana (I would have been 8 the last year it was down there).

Agreed on the four class system. I would either take a 2 class system, single class system, or a 4 class system with a final four the following weekend to award a single overall state champ. I didn’t go very often but the best crowd I remember was when Richwoods played Hillcrest (I think) for the title.

IMO Chambana won’t do as well, especially if you look at the state football championships. It’s not centrally located (even though there’s a direct interstate from Chicago) and the local community won’t be nearly as supportive. In late Jr. High/High School both Fridays were unofficial Skip Days. Quite a few people from EP would just not show up to school and make a weekend of the Experience and the games.
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.
O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

Be interesting if attendance changes significantly
I read the back of the Book, You lose.
bcg
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bcg »

I assume it will do well the first year but tail off again. They've made some bad decisions over the years.

I went to the Assembly Hall to see the state finals ten years in a row in the 80s/90s. Unless there was a big recruit (Lowell Hamilton was the one that got my dad & I to go) or a local school with a big following, it wasn't that well attended. As a kid, it was a great place to run around when Section C was empty.

I think the 4A championship needs to be in the Chicagoland area. It seems like it could be a big event.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

If teams didn’t bring fans to Peoria, why would they bring them to Champaign? My prediction is you will still have a half empty arena. It just will be 8,000 versus 5,000. However, I did enjoy the years it was in Champaign before and after the Assembly Hall was built. Crammed in Huff Gym watching great teams were some experiences that you don’t forget. Like the Washington team in 1961-62 with Clark Pool and Virgil McElfresh. Smoke was so thick it hurt your eyes.
go cubs go!
Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

I wish they would do this like sectionals are in various sports and have a rotation of sites.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

99% of lawyers make the other 1% look bad
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

JMM28 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:51 pm Best of luck to Champaign. I am sure the price gouging and lackluster amenities that caused the move from Champaign will come right back.
While I wouldn't be surprised if the price gouging returns (especially in terms of hotel room prices though there were certain hotels in East Peoria that had been guilty of this in recent years), the amenities won't be an issue this time around. As the Sun-Times article that has been linked on these boards mention, there's a lot more hotel rooms and a lot more to do in downtown Champaign nowadays compared to what there was 25 years ago when they left. The renovation at Assembly Hall was likely done in part to try and get this event to come back to Champaign.
BUFanatic wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:30 pm IMO Chambana won’t do as well, especially if you look at the state football championships. It’s not centrally located (even though there’s a direct interstate from Chicago) and the local community won’t be nearly as supportive. In late Jr. High/High School both Fridays were unofficial Skip Days. Quite a few people from EP would just not show up to school and make a weekend of the Experience and the games.
The state football championships aren't really a good barometer to use for support. With the games being played on Thanksgiving weekend, it's gonna be hard to draw non-supporters of the teams playing in it with most people either spending time with family or going shopping. And if we're being completely honest, a smaller venue like Hancock Stadium or O'Brien Field would be better suited to host the state football championships given the number of fans that most schools bring to it.

I don't know that necessarily the attendance of fans from the city of Chicago will be any better but they have at least a more direct route getting to Champaign then having to cut across once they get to Bloomington.
Redbird CC Fan wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:08 pm I wish they would do this like sectionals are in various sports and have a rotation of sites.
Not a chance. Bidding for the state tournament on a yearly basis like they do the sectionals would be more of a headache than the IHSA really needs. Multi-year contracts like this are better to have.
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

Everybody is trying to save something that can’t be saved.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson
Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:15 pmNot a chance. Bidding for the state tournament on a yearly basis like they do the sectionals would be more of a headache than the IHSA really needs. Multi-year contracts like this are better to have.
Not bidding annually. Let's say 3 sites, South, North, Central. 12 year deal, finals rotate between these 3 sites.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

99% of lawyers make the other 1% look bad
Uncle Junior
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Uncle Junior »

State Farm wins! Champbana McDonald's will soon once again become hangout central for fans, coaches, & players. Lookout!! :salute
I do my best thinking on the bus. That's how come I don't drive. I don't want to know how. I don't want to learn. See? The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

From reading the PJS today, I get the feeling that the IHSA didn’t really like Peoria trying the take all approach in bidding for both girls and both teams. Greed perhaps? The girls wasn’t going anywhere, so they might have pushed the envelope too far. But the fact that Brad Underwood was behind the push for getting the boys back to Champaign probably helped a lot. As for football returning to Hancock I doubt that will ever happen. They had the state football playoff forever I feel, but they gave it up when their football team got better and couldn’t host playoff games due to interference of the state tournament weekend.
go cubs go!
Uncle Junior

Post by Uncle Junior »

Nick in the AM Journal Star article says, "When the state finals arrived in town, Main Street near Carver Arena was vibrant. Restaurants & bars hopped all day and well into the night around the Pere Marquette Hotel. Visitors were impressed. Now, Main Street is crumbled and quiet. Too quiet. The hulk of the burned Madison Theatre and the empty storefronts in the Pere Marquette complex are disgraces." https://www.pjstar.com/news/20200616/ni ... ke-up-call
This has gone on far too long. First Caterpillar leaves town and now this. Is anybody worth a salt going to run for mayor and at least try to save Peoria from this current bumbling administration?
I do my best thinking on the bus. That's how come I don't drive. I don't want to know how. I don't want to learn. See? The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.
JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

GoBirdsGo II wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:06 am Am I off base here or does the fact this thread has only 17 replies shows that Peoria losing the tournament isn't really that big of a deal???
There are more posts on this thread than players who chose Bradley because they played in the state tournament here.

4 classes hurt excitement. Ubiquitous broadcast/streaming of all the games allows people who may have traveled to watch their team have a built in reason not to do so. It just isn't what it used to be.
bcg
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bcg »

GoBirdsGo II wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:06 am Am I off base here or does the fact this thread has only 17 replies shows that Peoria losing the tournament isn't really that big of a deal???
You knew it was happening. I'm surprised it didn't happen 5 years ago.

The decisions the IHSA has made over the years is baffling.
PH
All Universe
All Universe

Post by PH »

JMM28 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:10 am
There are more posts on this thread than players who chose Bradley because they played in the state tournament here.

4 classes hurt excitement. Ubiquitous broadcast/streaming of all the games allows people who may have traveled to watch their team have a built in reason not to do so. It just isn't what it used to be.
Yes, while as a local, I’m disappointed in losing the tournament, as a fan of Bradley basketball, the tournament didn’t seem to noticeably help the program. I think Bradley had to give up at least (1) Saturday evening home game each season to accommodate IHSA.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

PH wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:26 pm
JMM28 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:10 am

Yes, while as a local, I’m disappointed in losing the tournament, as a fan of Bradley basketball, the tournament didn’t seem to noticeably help the program. I think Bradley had to give up at least (1) Saturday evening home game each season to accommodate IHSA.
I'm not sure why they would. The Valley tournament is well over by the time 1A/2A rolled around. At least in recent years. The Rivermen were likely more impacted by this than Bradley.
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

Next year's championship games will also be questionable or at least fans being able to attend. Vaccines are not going to be available most likely in mass until early spring 2021. I'd be surprised if the Rivermen will have a season. MLB who has a ton of resources is having issues and their sport is played outdoors during the summer. The major league sports will be able to operate because of TV revenues. What will keep the minor league sports from operating?

I do hope I'm wrong!
As Desmond Tutu said: “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”