Panthers G2

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
User avatar
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 10389
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm

Re: Panthers G2

Post by Braves4Life »

squirrel wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:45 pm
ICEMANBU wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:30 pm Listened to the game last night and sounds like Ville is in quite a funk these past 2 games, I don't think it's a stretch to say if we got average Ville we're coming home with a sweep. As much production we got from Mast, I think my preseason fear of depth at the C position was kind of exposed with Boya's absence, he's definitely a key piece we gotta get healthy.

While it's still concerning about our struggle to finish out games, at least we finally got one.
I wonder if Ville is one that had the virus. It can really zap an individual's strength.
We never fully know what these college kids are going through... family issues, stress, sickness, injury or more. Ville has shown he has what it takes to succeed at this level and I'm confident he'll get back on track and be a key contributor before this season is done. I think we need to cut the kid a little slack. Who knows what he might be dealing with right now.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"
User avatar
Majik45
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:00 am

Re: Panthers G2

Post by Majik45 »

Braves4Life wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:35 pm We never fully know what these college kids are going through... family issues, stress, sickness, injury or more. Ville has shown he has what it takes to succeed at this level and I'm confident he'll get back on track and be a key contributor before this season is done. I think we need to cut the kid a little slack. Who knows what he might be dealing with right now.
I'm wondering if he is suffering from more attention and better defenders on him. Last year, teams had to worry about Brown and Kennel, and Ville was an after thought. Since he is our shooter this year, I'm wondering if people are putting a better defender on him to shut him down a little more.

He'll be fine, I'm not worried about him, as a lot of Freshman who break onto the scene go into a sophomore slump sometimes. Just give him a few makes on open shots and he'll be back to the deadly assassin we know.
User avatar
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 12666
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:49 pm

Re: Panthers G2

Post by dogsrus »

if i recall Crouch went through a similar funk i believe his soph year and many were ready to run him outta town on a rail...... we all know how that turned out.

Shooters don’t forget how to shoot..... my gut says he’ll break out sooner or later......
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.
Larry33
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Re: Panthers G2

Post by Larry33 »

Just some thoughts on the games at Northern Iowa. Surprised with the high scores of both games. Thought Bradley should have won both games under normal circumstances. Long layoff and the covid restrictions of players make things totally unpredictable. Look at some recent Big Ten games, MSU looses a 17 point lead to Purdue, Illinois outscores Northwestern by 40 in a half, Michigan puts a 43-6 run on Wisconsin.
In my opinion Bradley has a chance to be very good in the Valley. At times they look much better than last year, but they also really hurt themselves with careless play--- to , bad shots, poor defense.
I will end with the one thing we had trouble with at NI , our pick and roll defense, we went under ball screens all night and got hurt with 3s. Mast is not very quick but I thought a hard hedge would take away the 3. thoughts?
User avatar
chitown fanatic
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:33 pm

Re: Panthers G2

Post by chitown fanatic »

My thoughts are our 3 point defense needs to be fixed. I've counted at least 6 games where we've given up 10+ 3s a game. Thats not changing this weekend either as thats all Evansville does. I'll be surprised if we hold them to single digit made in either game. It would also be nice to beat the crap out of a weaker team for once too. If we're a good team, these games this weekend shouldnt be close.
Tornadouche is a tool
real fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7494
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Re: Panthers G2

Post by real fan »

chitown fanatic wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:59 pm My thoughts are our 3 point defense needs to be fixed. I've counted at least 6 games where we've given up 10+ 3s a game. Thats not changing this weekend either as thats all Evansville does. I'll be surprised if we hold them to single digit made in either game. It would also be nice to beat the crap out of a weaker team for once too. If we're a good team, these games this weekend shouldnt be close.
We definitely need to defend the 3 point shot a lot better. Kingsby did the best job of not letting himself get caught up in the screen as he recognized it and was able to avoid it , the easier way to defend it is to just switch on it. I would love to see us punish Evansville this weekend . Double digit wins could give us momentum going into Normal on Wed.
User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 33983
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: Panthers G2

Post by squirrel »

Evansville is the perfect team for this team to play at this time. They'll launch 3's and screen all over the place. We should still beat them, but the game will present the perfect opportunity to concentrate on probably its biggest weakness all week and put it into immediate practice.
"You're only as good as your last game in this business; always know that. You're never as good as you think, you're never as bad as you think." - Brian Wardle
User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 23348
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Panthers G2

Post by tribecalledquest »

Bradley normally holds teams to under 37% shooting from inside the three point line. This is the strength of the defense. Northern Iowa shot 50% inside the three point line. That was where things went awry.

I know it gets frustrating seeing teams bomb away threes but there is going to be some give there. If you are going to focus on being an elite two point defensive team and making teams take contested shots then you are going give some guarding the three. It's something the Milwaukee Bucks do in the NBA.

This is where not having Ari Boya certainly hurt. Normally Bradley is really hard to score on at the rim and in the paint. Sometimes teams make a bunch of threes. I'm sure the coaches can live with that but they can't live with teams shooting 50% from two point range.

Be the best in the league at two point defense and you are going to be just fiine.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 12666
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:49 pm

Re: Panthers G2

Post by dogsrus »

tribecalledquest wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:05 pm Bradley normally holds teams to under 37% shooting from inside the three point line. This is the strength of the defense. Northern Iowa shot 50% inside the three point line. That was where things went awry.

I know it gets frustrating seeing teams bomb away threes but there is going to be some give there. If you are going to focus on being an elite two point defensive team and making teams take contested shots then you are going give some guarding the three. It's something the Milwaukee Bucks do in the NBA.

This is where not having Ari Boya certainly hurt. Normally Bradley is really hard to score on at the rim and in the paint. Sometimes teams make a bunch of threes. I'm sure the coaches can live with that but they can't live with teams shooting 50% from two point range.

Be the best in the league at two point defense and you are going to be just fiine.
i was thinking the same thing...... pick your poison. Ari..... Koch were really huge around the rim. Not only
locked shots but boards...... UNI had one possession where they got three offensive rebounds and finally hit a three..... yeah that happens occasionally but an Ari Boya would have helped us tremendously.

I hope coach used UNi’s last second shot as a teaching moment too..... not the three D but the two guys on the weak side of the basket that watched the ball while the UNI guy got prime position for the putback.. somebody needed to put a body on him ..... it reminded me of Illinois / Michigan to go to final four..... Nick didn’t block out Glenn Rice for the putback.......
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.
LJSites
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Panthers G2

Post by LJSites »

tribecalledquest wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:05 pm Bradley normally holds teams to under 37% shooting from inside the three point line. This is the strength of the defense. Northern Iowa shot 50% inside the three point line. That was where things went awry.

I know it gets frustrating seeing teams bomb away threes but there is going to be some give there. If you are going to focus on being an elite two point defensive team and making teams take contested shots then you are going give some guarding the three. It's something the Milwaukee Bucks do in the NBA.

This is where not having Ari Boya certainly hurt. Normally Bradley is really hard to score on at the rim and in the paint. Sometimes teams make a bunch of threes. I'm sure the coaches can live with that but they can't live with teams shooting 50% from two point range.

Be the best in the league at two point defense and you are going to be just fiine.
I agree in the long run. But this strategy will suffer against Loyola and Missouri State right now.
BravesFan23
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:32 pm

Re: Panthers G2

Post by BravesFan23 »

As someone who has only been a Braves fan since I attended within the last ten years, I have noticed a significant increase in the overall talent level and skill around the league this year. I remember being at a game as a student and a guy hit a step back 2 pointer and In disbelief I said to my buddy something to the extent of “players don’t make that shot in the valley”.

Some of the shots made in our Uni games as well as some from other valley games have been really high level. I think we’ve been successful previously because we force teams to make tough shots, but this year players have been making those shots.
real fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7494
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Re: Panthers G2

Post by real fan »

After watching a replay of the game most of UNI"s 3 point shots were wide open, quite a few of them were because Phyfe continued to set moving screens out front and with his big body it is virtually almost impossible to get around him. The only way to make it obvious to the officials in how he is doing this is to pretty much push thru him when he is doing this to make it obvious to the refs. You might get called for it the first time but at least you will be making them aware of it.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5840
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Panthers G2

Post by deejay »

Agree. Phyfe set moving screens all night, because they refused to call it.
go cubs go!
User avatar
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 20357
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:37 am
Location: Ballwin, MO / UPark, TX

Re: Panthers G2

Post by SaintLouBrave22 »

dogsrus wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:23 am if i recall Crouch went through a similar funk i believe his soph year and many were ready to run him outta town on a rail...... we all know how that turned out.

Shooters don’t forget how to shoot..... my gut says he’ll break out sooner or later......
I would tend to agree wholeheartedly on everything you said...

With one caveat, look at the roster. Its not nearly as deep as it was when Crouch couldnt make it off the bench because of his struggles.

We either need Ville to get it together, or we need Kent to come along in his development much quicker because one thing is for certain with him --- he can get himself open and he has no fear.


Honestly something that was mentioned here with Phyfe and UNI and hasnt been mentioned enough with Bradley --- screening.

UNI screens north and south to shield and drag the defender so the guy with the ball or getting the ball has a cleaner look and can step into the shot.

When Bradley screens, they do it east and west which makes it easier to jump the screen or rotate around it, and even if the guy does buy some time, the shooter is moving left to right or right to left.

In other words, we just absolutely do not do this well and you couple that with not having too many above average or elite passers and you know why Ville is struggling.

Darrell Brown was Nate Kennell's best friend for a reason. Its because Nate knew that if Darrell didn't have a clean look and didn't still fire it up, Nate was getting at least 4-5 pocket passes every night out.

That is what Ville needs and in the worst way.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---
User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 23348
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Panthers G2

Post by tribecalledquest »

SaintLouBrave22 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:34 pm
dogsrus wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:23 am if i recall Crouch went through a similar funk i believe his soph year and many were ready to run him outta town on a rail...... we all know how that turned out.

Shooters don’t forget how to shoot..... my gut says he’ll break out sooner or later......
I would tend to agree wholeheartedly on everything you said...

With one caveat, look at the roster. Its not nearly as deep as it was when Crouch couldnt make it off the bench because of his struggles.

We either need Ville to get it together, or we need Kent to come along in his development much quicker because one thing is for certain with him --- he can get himself open and he has no fear.


Honestly something that was mentioned here with Phyfe and UNI and hasnt been mentioned enough with Bradley --- screening.

UNI screens north and south to shield and drag the defender so the guy with the ball or getting the ball has a cleaner look and can step into the shot.

When Bradley screens, they do it east and west which makes it easier to jump the screen or rotate around it, and even if the guy does buy some time, the shooter is moving left to right or right to left.

In other words, we just absolutely do not do this well and you couple that with not having too many above average or elite passers and you know why Ville is struggling.

Darrell Brown was Nate Kennell's best friend for a reason. Its because Nate knew that if Darrell didn't have a clean look and didn't still fire it up, Nate was getting at least 4-5 pocket passes every night out.

That is what Ville needs and in the worst way.
I would like to see Antonio Thomas get some run with Ville and Kent on the floor as the three guards. Thomas knows how to get the ball to guys. I'm not saying it's a long stretch in games or whatever but he would get shooters the ball for sure.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
SFP
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4664
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:48 am
Location: Anywhere except where you think I am

Re: Panthers G2

Post by SFP »

SaintLouBrave22 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:34 pm
dogsrus wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:23 am if i recall Crouch went through a similar funk i believe his soph year and many were ready to run him outta town on a rail...... we all know how that turned out.

Shooters don’t forget how to shoot..... my gut says he’ll break out sooner or later......
I would tend to agree wholeheartedly on everything you said...

With one caveat, look at the roster. Its not nearly as deep as it was when Crouch couldnt make it off the bench because of his struggles.

We either need Ville to get it together, or we need Kent to come along in his development much quicker because one thing is for certain with him --- he can get himself open and he has no fear.


Honestly something that was mentioned here with Phyfe and UNI and hasnt been mentioned enough with Bradley --- screening.

UNI screens north and south to shield and drag the defender so the guy with the ball or getting the ball has a cleaner look and can step into the shot.

When Bradley screens, they do it east and west which makes it easier to jump the screen or rotate around it, and even if the guy does buy some time, the shooter is moving left to right or right to left.

In other words, we just absolutely do not do this well and you couple that with not having too many above average or elite passers and you know why Ville is struggling.

Darrell Brown was Nate Kennell's best friend for a reason. Its because Nate knew that if Darrell didn't have a clean look and didn't still fire it up, Nate was getting at least 4-5 pocket passes every night out.

That is what Ville needs and in the worst way.
Our offensive movement is lacking as well as guy looking at penetrating and finding the open shooter. If there's one thing I've not seen from a BW team is a good passing team. East has the capability to be pretty good, Mast is pretty good as well but outside of them we are average to terrible.
As Desmond Tutu said: “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”
User avatar
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 12666
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:49 pm

Re: Panthers G2

Post by dogsrus »

Both Nate and ville are / were good at pump faking and stepping away from defender that bit......nate knocked those shots down at a good clip.....Ville did last year.....here’s hoping that returns.

Think Thomas plan would be fun to watch for awhile....credit that kid for sticking with it.

That Euro screen n roll we ran with Mast was a thing of beauty.....watching the replay it was actually run once with Danya......
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.
User avatar
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 12666
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:49 pm

Re: Panthers G2

Post by dogsrus »

SFP wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:39 pm
SaintLouBrave22 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:34 pm
dogsrus wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:23 am if i recall Crouch went through a similar funk i believe his soph year and many were ready to run him outta town on a rail...... we all know how that turned out.

Shooters don’t forget how to shoot..... my gut says he’ll break out sooner or later......
I would tend to agree wholeheartedly on everything you said...

With one caveat, look at the roster. Its not nearly as deep as it was when Crouch couldnt make it off the bench because of his struggles.

We either need Ville to get it together, or we need Kent to come along in his development much quicker because one thing is for certain with him --- he can get himself open and he has no fear.


Honestly something that was mentioned here with Phyfe and UNI and hasnt been mentioned enough with Bradley --- screening.

UNI screens north and south to shield and drag the defender so the guy with the ball or getting the ball has a cleaner look and can step into the shot.

When Bradley screens, they do it east and west which makes it easier to jump the screen or rotate around it, and even if the guy does buy some time, the shooter is moving left to right or right to left.

In other words, we just absolutely do not do this well and you couple that with not having too many above average or elite passers and you know why Ville is struggling.

Darrell Brown was Nate Kennell's best friend for a reason. Its because Nate knew that if Darrell didn't have a clean look and didn't still fire it up, Nate was getting at least 4-5 pocket passes every night out.

That is what Ville needs and in the worst way.
Our offensive movement is lacking as well as guy looking at penetrating and finding the open shooter. If there's one thing I've not seen from a BW team is a good passing team. East has the capability to be pretty good, Mast is pretty good as well but outside of them we are average to terrible.

I thought Eli had one of his better passing games verse UNI......but yes it isn’t our strong point.
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.
User avatar
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 20357
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:37 am
Location: Ballwin, MO / UPark, TX

Re: Panthers G2

Post by SaintLouBrave22 »

tribecalledquest wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:38 pm
I would like to see Antonio Thomas get some run with Ville and Kent on the floor as the three guards. Thomas knows how to get the ball to guys. I'm not saying it's a long stretch in games or whatever but he would get shooters the ball for sure.
We are in agreement too much lately, but when you're right, you're right.

Thomas and his ability to value the basketball and also drive the ball would open up the perimeter more as well.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---
User avatar
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 20357
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:37 am
Location: Ballwin, MO / UPark, TX

Re: Panthers G2

Post by SaintLouBrave22 »

dogsrus wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:01 pm
I thought Eli had one of his better passing games verse UNI......but yes it isn’t our strong point.
He had 2 assists in one game and zero in the other...

You're setting the bar for him very very low in my opinion.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---
User avatar
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 20357
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:37 am
Location: Ballwin, MO / UPark, TX

Re: Panthers G2

Post by SaintLouBrave22 »

SFP wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:39 pm
Our offensive movement is lacking as well as guy looking at penetrating and finding the open shooter. If there's one thing I've not seen from a BW team is a good passing team. East has the capability to be pretty good, Mast is pretty good as well but outside of them we are average to terrible.
Offensive movement is very poor without the ball, but again, we also don't screen well so its pretty hard to get a flow there.

East and Thomas seem to find something out of nothing.

Nolan is decent at finding guys, but just as good at making bad decisions while dribbling and coughing it up.

Kingsby I won't even hit on because on the offensive end of the floor he is a constant point of anger.

And our best two guys in the post (Childs, Henry) arent even what I would consider average passers...and that is what we try to run our sets off.

I do agree that Mast is a better passer, however, its been clear to me that for him to be more effective, its not stationary on the block, but more in the pick and pop or pick and roll situations.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---
User avatar
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 12666
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:49 pm

Re: Panthers G2

Post by dogsrus »

SaintLouBrave22 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:59 pm
dogsrus wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:01 pm
I thought Eli had one of his better passing games verse UNI......but yes it isn’t our strong point.
He had 2 assists in one game and zero in the other...

You're setting the bar for him very very low in my opinion.
ELI set the bar low :D ......but you can make good passes
that aren’t assists also. In no means am i saying he’s a good passer but i saw better passes one game against UNI.....
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.
User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 23348
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Panthers G2

Post by tribecalledquest »

dogsrus wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:22 pm
SaintLouBrave22 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:59 pm
dogsrus wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:01 pm
I thought Eli had one of his better passing games verse UNI......but yes it isn’t our strong point.
He had 2 assists in one game and zero in the other...

You're setting the bar for him very very low in my opinion.
ELI set the bar low :D ......but you can make good passes
that aren’t assists also. In no means am i saying he’s a good passer but i saw better passes one game against UNI.....
Right. Sean East leads the team in assists but isn’t close to being the teams best passer. Eli has gradually improved passing out of double teams.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson
Post Reply