Valley schedules for 2020-21

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Valley schedules for 2020-21

Post by real fan »

tribecalledquest wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:40 pm I’m not going to fret about it. Let’s do whatever we can that increases the chance of having a season. I’m not saying this does or doesn’t do that but I just want to have a season. The best team will win regardless of the setup.
Agree, best case scenario is we get to play most of the games and we win the valley tour. in March. Keeping teams safer is definitely a priority.
MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite »

WMU released its non-con and they play at D3 Trine :shock:
https://wmubroncos.com/news/2020/11/20/ ... edule.aspx
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

MissouriValleyUnite wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:03 pm WMU released its non-con and they play at D3 Trine :shock:
https://wmubroncos.com/news/2020/11/20/ ... edule.aspx
Well, that game is also situated between games with Butler and Notre Dame, all in Indiana. I'm wondering if they're just temporarily camping out of state for the week and their first 3 games.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

SaintLouBrave22 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:23 pm
JMM28 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:20 pm Bradley needs to get out of the MVC ASAP. Joke of a league.

Elgin should fire himself. Kern should fall on a literal sword. Dumb ***.
Lol.

What exactly did you expect here when everyone is trying to cut down on travel as well as lessen the risks and potential mass spreads.

While not great, this doesnt rank up there with Elgin's worst decisions and a lot of this came from the outside from what I am hearing based on several league schools already starting and stopping
How does this prevent mass spreads exactly?

This prevents legitimate conference results.

It is a pathetic excuse of a conference season.
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

JMM28 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:55 pm
JMM28 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:20 pm Bradley needs to get out of the MVC ASAP. Joke of a league.

Elgin should fire himself. Kern should fall on a literal sword. Dumb ***.
Lol.

What exactly did you expect here when everyone is trying to cut down on travel as well as lessen the risks and potential mass spreads.

While not great, this doesnt rank up there with Elgin's worst decisions and a lot of this came from the outside from what I am hearing based on several league schools already starting and stopping

Mass spread? I doubt if they are doing this for that reason. It does lessen the risk of games being called off because players will be tested once for two games as well as not traveling as much.
As Desmond Tutu said: “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

I know there are a couple Valley schools that have had to shut down. However, after today, campuses will be clearing out at most places, so in effect, they'll be in bubbles with extremely limited exposure outside the program until late January.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 »

SFP wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:08 pm

Lol.

Mass spread? I doubt if they are doing this for that reason. It does lessen the risk of games being called off because players will be tested once for two games as well as not traveling as much.

Seems like if something goes sideways with programs, it makes it easier to scramble something together with some mid week matchups. Kinda like the parade of Cardinals doubleheaders in baseball, you could have a string of 3 game weeks, with a back to back on weekends. Then there are the cost management elements. I’m fine with it.
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

dss03 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:48 pm
SFP wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:08 pm

Seems like if something goes sideways with programs, it makes it easier to scramble something together with some mid week matchups. Kinda like the parade of Cardinals doubleheaders in baseball, you could have a string of 3 game weeks, with a back to back on weekends. Then there are the cost management elements. I’m fine with it.
Agreed. If you lose a weekend you can sneak it in some
Tuesday/Wednesday later on. And for sure it keeps costs way down - which matter right now.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson
JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

I’d rather they back the season up than this pile of garbage schedule.

Will Loyola be able to use their shaky camera behind the basket when Bradley is shooting free throws for both games now? Will the MVC league office dopes care more about that than fans chanting pizza during free throws in Peoria?

Without fans makes a little bit of a difference but it still is not your home court. It bastardizes any results for the season. It’s small time.

MVC is a lot closer to the WAC than the A10 with this move. And it’s a shame to do that in a year where there was a good chance of MVC is back talk.
PH
All Universe
All Universe

Post by PH »

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

JMM28 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:17 am I’d rather they back the season up than this pile of garbage schedule.

Will Loyola be able to use their shaky camera behind the basket when Bradley is shooting free throws for both games now? Will the MVC league office dopes care more about that than fans chanting pizza during free throws in Peoria?

Without fans makes a little bit of a difference but it still is not your home court. It bastardizes any results for the season. It’s small time.

MVC is a lot closer to the WAC than the A10 with this move. And it’s a shame to do that in a year where there was a good chance of MVC is back talk.
I just do not see how this format for one year only, will make the MVC look like a small time conference. Winning games in the NCAA is what makes a conference. If MVC can make it through a season without any major cancelations and be able to show case 2-3 teams as top 50 teams then that will be a good thing. Still wondering how this format will reflect negatively on the conference. Right now providing a process to help teams get through a schedule is all that counts.

Anyway I'm for stalling the season for another 2 months, if the NCAA can get its hands on enough vaccines for all the players and staff by the start date.

The Marshmallow Test - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX_oy9614HQ
As Desmond Tutu said: “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”
chitown fanatic
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by chitown fanatic »

This decision is asinine. How will it be fair for league leaders to play the same amount of games at the "top" teams home courts? No weekday games blows as well. Yes, it helps with costs...but it reeks of small time....and in a moment where we really need to be heading towards a bigger stage....so disappointed yet again in our conference leadership....this doesnt change a **** thing with corona either
Tornadouche is a tool
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

chitown fanatic wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:48 pm This decision is asinine. How will it be fair for league leaders to play the same amount of games at the "top" teams home courts? No weekday games blows as well. Yes, it helps with costs...but it reeks of small time....and in a moment where we really need to be heading towards a bigger stage....so disappointed yet again in our conference leadership....this doesnt change a **** thing with corona either
It is only one year. I'm sure it will not impact the league of its brand.

Less exposure means less risk of getting infected. It is that simple.
TheBravesRbackInTown
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by TheBravesRbackInTown »

I do not understand why a few of you are losing your minds over this???

We are going to be lucky to have BU basketball at all this year. I'd watch a game played in Wardles driveway at this point, if thats all we could get.

If anything, simply playing at this point gives any team a chance to be relevant on the national stage.
spoon
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by spoon »

BradleyFan3423

Post by BradleyFan3423 »

TheBravesRbackInTown wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:14 pm If anything, simply playing at this point gives any team a chance to be relevant on the national stage.
Nailed it. There's going to be a lot of games cancelled/postponed throughout the season, and if this schedule format allows the valley to play more games, then I'm all for it
Butler Blue
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Butler Blue »

TheBravesRbackInTown wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:14 pm I do not understand why a few of you are losing your minds over this???

We are going to be lucky to have BU basketball at all this year. I'd watch a game played in Wardles driveway at this point, if thats all we could get.

If anything, simply playing at this point gives any team a chance to be relevant on the national stage.
Wardle's driveway is fine. Both games in Porter's or Jake's driveway, no bueno.
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

BradleyFan3423 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:13 am
TheBravesRbackInTown wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:14 pm If anything, simply playing at this point gives any team a chance to be relevant on the national stage.
Nailed it. There's going to be a lot of games cancelled/postponed throughout the season, and if this schedule format allows the valley to play more games, then I'm all for it
+1
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"
TheBravesRbackInTown
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by TheBravesRbackInTown »

Butler Blue wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:49 am
TheBravesRbackInTown wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:14 pm I do not understand why a few of you are losing your minds over this???

Wardle's driveway is fine. Both games in Porter's or Jake's driveway, no bueno.
Obviously that would be less than ideal. But my overall point is any basketball (regardless of venue) > no basketball.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

The idea of makeup games and all are nice, but what happens if a team refuses to honor the makeups?
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

squirrel wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:17 pm I know there are a couple Valley schools that have had to shut down. However, after today, campuses will be clearing out at most places, so in effect, they'll be in bubbles with extremely limited exposure outside the program until late January.
Just re-stating this point. . .for those thinking there won't be much basketball, read this point.

I think you'll see it the same as in many other sports (professional and college) where you have some cancellations early, but once teams get into the rhythm of the season, and the increased exposure risk has been minimalized, you'll see the majority of games played.

But this is where the 2 week rule is dumb. . .1 week is fine. But if you sit out the isolate the positive cases and don't have any other instances in the team, don't punish the rest of the team and their opponents.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Indiana State out of the Gulf Coast Showcase:

The December 6th game for the Sycamores will be vs. UIndy.
LJSites
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by LJSites »

At what point do seniors start opting out to preserve their last season of eligibility instead of participating in a ramshackle schedule with no guarantees?
spoon

Post by spoon »

LJSites wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:54 am At what point do seniors start opting out to preserve their last season of eligibility instead of participating in a ramshackle schedule with no guarantees?
Seniors all gain an extra year of eligibility this year due to COVID so they can play both this year and next if they choose.
Butler Blue
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Butler Blue »

spoon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:22 am
LJSites wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:54 am At what point do seniors start opting out to preserve their last season of eligibility instead of participating in a ramshackle schedule with no guarantees?
Seniors all gain an extra year of eligibility this year due to COVID so they can play both this year and next if they choose.
Just for the sake of clarity, they can play this year and next year if they choose, but also only if their program chooses to have to have them back.