OT Pandemic Diversion

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Re: OT Pandemic Diversion

Post by dss03 »

FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 »

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 »

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 »

That’s what I think holds up pretty well over time. Just dipping my toes in the water. With the slightest encouragement, I’ll go to the deep end.

SS01
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by SS01 »

Happy 77th birthday to Sir Mick Jagger-July 26, 1943. The Rolling Stones: Mick Jagger (lead vocals, harmonica), Keith Richards (guitar, vocals), Bill Wyman (bass), Charlie Watts (drums), Brian Jones (guitar, harmonica, keyboards). Mick Taylor replaced Jones in ’69, Ronnie Woods replaced Taylor in ’75). Began as a pure blues band. Took their name from the song “Mannish Boy” by legendary bluesman Muddy Waters. Publicized as the “evil counterpart” to the wholesome Beatles. Inducted into Rock and Roll HOF-1989.

Just a few classics: Gimme Shelter, (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction, Sympathy For the Devil, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Brown Sugar, Honky-Tonk Women, Beast Of Burden, You Can’t Always Get What You Want, Stray Cat Blues.

Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar, and Stray Cat Blues are my favorites because they dealt with extremely controversial subjects with lyrics which were deemed scandalous at the time. I’m not posting Stray Cat Blues because it would most likely be censored. Check the You Tube video with lyrics to see why. There is a terrific live version of Gimme Shelter, but I am posting the original studio recording because it has Merry Clayton’s backing vocals with her legendary solo.

To be continued...

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

My opinion ... Sticky Fingers is top 3 all time albums ever made.
Has Kathy Griffin been arrested?
What a talentless, attention starved person.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

dss03 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:03 pm
Top 5 video ever (and probably top 2). Sledgehammer is also underrated in its construction, and is way too often overlooked on the all-time lists.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

dss03 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:27 pm
That’s what I think holds up pretty well over time. Just dipping my toes in the water. With the slightest encouragement, I’ll go to the deep end.
Gee, I thought for a minute you were going to bring up the Violent Femmes or something. :lol:
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

SS01

Post by SS01 »

illini25 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:07 am
My opinion ... Sticky Fingers is top 3 all time albums ever made.
Right. Zipper on the album cover. Exile on Main Street right up there, also.

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

The 80's was a hodge podge of great music.
As Desmond Tutu said: “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”

SS01

Post by SS01 »

The guys jammin’ with their idol, the immortal Muddy Waters.
Mojo Buford-harmonica, John Primer-guitar (black shirt).

More Muddy and the guys to follow...

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

The Dirty Mac was a name for a band thought up by John Lennon for a one-time supergroup that played live on “The Rolling Stones Rock ’N Roll Circus” show that was filmed in 1968, but didn’t get released until 1996 on VHS and laser disc.

The group performed the song, “Yer Blues” which was originally recorded by The Beatles and released on the “White Album.”

The band consisted of John Lennon on rhythm guitar and lead vocals, Eric Clapton on lead guitar, Keith Richards on bass and Mitch Mitchell (From The Jimi Hendrix Experience) on drums.

The show also had live performances from The Rolling Stones, The Who, Jethro Tull, Taj Mahal and Marianne Faithful. It was filmed with the intention of broadcasting it on the BBC in 1968, but The Rolling Stones thought their performance was sub-par and the concert wasn’t released to the public until 1996, when it was released on VHS and laser disc formats. It was later released on DVD in 2004.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

+1 Jim Beam - That is one video I've never seen. Thanks for sharing.
As Desmond Tutu said: “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”

SS01

Post by SS01 »

Long Distance Call

Mannish Boy
Legendary Buddy Guy-guitar, Lefty Dizz-guitar, and Junior Wells-harmonica jump in.

Champagne and Reefer
Nobody feelin’ any pain at this point. What could possibly be in that baggie?

SS01

Post by SS01 »

Remembering Jerry Garcia on what would have been his 78th birthday-Aug. 1, 1942-Aug. 9, 1995. The Grateful Dead: Founding members-Jerry Garcia (lead guitar, vocals), Bob Weir (rhythm guitar, vocals), Ron “Pigpen” McKernan (keyboard, harmonica, vocals), Phil Lesh (bass, vocals), Bill Kreutzmann (drums). Brent Mydland replaced McKernan on keyboard in ’79.

One of the San Francisco area bands which created the 60s counter-culture “psychedelic” sound. Fused elements of rock, folk, country, jazz, bluegrass, blues, gospel, and “psychedelic rock”. Live performances known for their lengthy improvisational jams. Eclectic style wasn’t suited to the general pop rock population-Touch of Grey only top-10 single. Their devoted fans referred to themselves as “Deadheads” (most famous Deadhead-Bill Walton). Inducted into the Rock and Roll HOF in 1994.

Smokin’ interpretation of Dylan’s All Along the Watchtower; Bob Weir vocal. IMO 2nd only to Jimi Hendrix’s.

Cappy

Post by Cappy »

Hendrix version always reminds me of Brian's song, when Picc is undergoing chemo. Something scary and ominous about that song. Effective use of soundtrack, especially for a tv movie of the week, for those old enough to remember such a thing. Unless I'm thinking of the remake, which I don't think I am.

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

" i love Brian Piccolo"
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

SS01

Post by SS01 »

Cappy wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:58 pm
Hendrix version always reminds me of Brian's song, when Picc is undergoing chemo. Something scary and ominous about that song. Effective use of soundtrack, especially for a tv movie of the week, for those old enough to remember such a thing. Unless I'm thinking of the remake, which I don't think I am.
Billy Dee Williams and James Caan?
Last edited by SS01 on Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

SS01

Post by SS01 »

jim beam wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:24 pm
" i love Brian Piccolo"

PH
All Universe
All Universe

Post by PH »

Do we not give Phil Collins enough credit?
These twins have recently done a series of reaction videos to them listening to some older songs for the 1st time.
Here’s their reaction to In the Air Tonight:

Cappy

Post by Cappy »

I'll say this for Phil Collins: he's the only artist I know of who has even attempted to cover papa was a Rollin stone
That takes stones
Love those ageing British rockers
They have such reverence for not only American r and b but the great American songbook as well

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

PH wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:32 pm
Do we not give Phil Collins enough credit?
These twins have recently done a series of reaction videos to them listening to some older songs for the 1st time.
Here’s their reaction to In the Air Tonight:
There’s a lot of people around here that don’t give Phil enough credit. You know who you are. Science deniers, the whole lot of them.

SS01

Post by SS01 »

Cappy wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:58 pm
I'll say this for Phil Collins: he's the only artist I know of who has even attempted to cover papa was a Rollin stone
That takes stones

Uh.......What could one possibly say after that? I'm speechless. It did indeed take a huge pair.