Pandemic thread

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Pandemic thread

Post by squirrel »

Braves4Life wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:32 am
This is kind of a News of the Weird kind of story...

No one allowed in open businesses in Boone without spending 14 nights straight in Watauga County, council rules -- https://myfox8.com/news/coronavirus/no- ... cil-rules/
:lol:
Yer not from around these parts, are you?

In all seriousness. . .

One of the reasons why so many town names are not pronounced the way they are spelled or you would think, dates to the Civil War. Towns made conscientious efforts to change the pronunciation of their burgs so they would know who the outsiders were.

This situation demonstrates perfectly why that could be useful.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

ICEMANBU wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:17 pm
SFP wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:33 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:24 pm
By all accounts Larry Hogan in Maryland has been all over this thing. The main thing I have liked is how transparent and honest he is with his citizens.

https://governor.maryland.gov/2020/05/2 ... partments/
I've liked Hogan even before all this. I wish we had a third party with people like him as its leaders. Socially moderate and economically conservative.
Been in Maryland (with a couple years in Virginia). . .
+1
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:15 pm
Braves4Life wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:49 pm
squirrel wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:32 pm
JP Morgan and (separately) the JP Morgan Chase Institute both have been producing some very informative reports and analyses throughout the pandemic.

I also enjoy reading the Federal Reserve's Beige Book, published about 8 times per year, which is a summary report from each regional Federal Reserve Bank, and national summary.

The next one is due out mid-week next week.
Then you may enjoy this as well, including the brief video at the top...Just one firm's proprietary way to analyze several indicators -- https://www.cnr.com/insights/speedometers.html
More interested in what JP's less successful but infinitely more fun brother Captain Morgan has to say. :drunk
:lol: Truth. . .

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Braves4Life wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:49 pm
squirrel wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:32 pm
JP Morgan and (separately) the JP Morgan Chase Institute both have been producing some very informative reports and analyses throughout the pandemic.

I also enjoy reading the Federal Reserve's Beige Book, published about 8 times per year, which is a summary report from each regional Federal Reserve Bank, and national summary.

The next one is due out mid-week next week.
Then you may enjoy this as well, including the brief video at the top...Just one firm's proprietary way to analyze several indicators -- https://www.cnr.com/insights/speedometers.html
Yes, very cool!

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

Imagine a state. A state that cares about its small businesses.

https://backontrack.in.gov/ppemarketplace.htm

Indiana is sending out reopening supplies to businesses with under 150 people. For free.

Meanwhile Illinois is (trying to and failing at) criminalizing operating businesses, increasing workers compensation insurance premium rates, and picking winners and losers.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

squirrel wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:45 am
Braves4Life wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:32 am
This is kind of a News of the Weird kind of story...

No one allowed in open businesses in Boone without spending 14 nights straight in Watauga County, council rules -- https://myfox8.com/news/coronavirus/no- ... cil-rules/
:lol:
Yer not from around these parts, are you?

In all seriousness. . .

One of the reasons why so many town names are not pronounced the way they are spelled or you would think, dates to the Civil War. Towns made conscientious efforts to change the pronunciation of their burgs so they would know who the outsiders were.

This situation demonstrates perfectly why that could be useful.
Boone is actually named after a "Big Man", Daniel Boone. :lol:
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

He can “order” all he wants but he has no right to do so. When your base is super Christian but also super states rights he’s splitting it down the middle here.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:33 pm
He can “order” all he wants but he has no right to do so. When your base is super Christian but also super states rights he’s splitting it down the middle here.
Many have said the Governors can "order" churches closed all they want, but that they don't have the right to do so either.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

tribecalledquest wrote:

I'd say the vast majority of voters don't understand the 'state's rights' concept anyways, though.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

JMM28 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:58 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:

I'd say the vast majority of voters don't understand the 'state's rights' concept anyways, though.
You mean the Civil War WASN'T about states rights???
~Thomas Jefferson

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:05 pm
JMM28 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

You mean the Civil War WASN'T about states rights???
:lol: :lol:

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

ICEMANBU wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:33 am
SFP wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:14 pm
ICEMANBU Thanks for the update there. I was born in Baltimore many a many moons ago. I always try to keep on top of what my birth place is up to. Still wish we had a third party that was truly socially libertarian/progressive, economically conservative and would do all in its power to reign in special interest. Neither party appears to be able to control or want to control outside influence.
Wow, Baltimore and now San Francisco. Good Lord. I can't imagine.
There's more to my life than just Balmore and San Francisco. One thing I most miss about Balmore is those blue crabs, listening to the O's and drinking Nattie Boh on a hot summer day.
As Desmond Tutu said: “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

How bout this. I have never lived anywhere but Peoria. My parents built a home in 1958 after they had 4 kids, then me and another came along. I lived in that home until I bought a house before I got married at 21, 4 blocks from them. I bought another house 5 years later when we had 3 kids in the same general area of town. I bought another house 5 years later when we had 6 kids 4 blocks away and lived there 10 years and had # 7 there. Moved into current house 16 years ago which is a mile from all the others. So in 58.5 years I have lived in 5 houses all within probably a mile and half from each other in one small section of Peoria.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

JMM28 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

I guess the 10th Amendment is useful after all.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:07 pm
JMM28 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

After the 2nd a lot of people stopped reading.
~Thomas Jefferson

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:19 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
JMM28 wrote:

After the 2nd a lot of people stopped reading.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

There is a thing called the bill of rights article 3.
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

Patrick Ewing has tested positive for COVID-19 -- https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.c ... atform=amp

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

O&B 78 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:46 pm
There is a thing called the bill of rights article 3.
I think you meant Article 1 O&B.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

Article the third... Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/ ... transcript

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 »

FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

O&B 78 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:10 pm
Article the third... Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/ ... transcript
Article the twelfth... The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:42 pm
O&B 78 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:10 pm
Article the twelfth... The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
I’m not a lawyer but I would think since it is in the 3rd article it’s not left to the states in the 12th. If the national government is prohibited from the power to do something that infringe on people’s rights they’re not going to allow the states to do it

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

tribecalledquest wrote:

Ok so did he "order" them open, or did he order that they could open. The way the tweet is written, its as if he is demanding them reopen. Isnt he just saying that churches can reopen, and its up to the individual church. If a business is deemed essential, that doesnt mean that business has to be open, but can be.

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
JMM28 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Im not a Constitution expert, but is it the 10th amendment that Pritzker invoked by extending the stay at home past the 30 days and then the "rule" that anyone violating would be subject to jail time? Only an emergency session of the State legislature forced him to rescind.