Peoria Civic Center

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Peoria Civic Center

Post by squirrel »

I know we've griped about PCC and not prioritizing Bradley, but the current management group is killing it.

They are anticipating over 30,000 visitors over the weekend, and estimating 200-300 hotel rooms for certain concerts like Luke Combs the other night and the upcoming Kiss concert.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Peoria Civic Center

Post by BradleyBrave »

The relationship with Bradley Athletics right now is as good as it has ever been.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

Bigslim
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Bigslim »

BradleyBrave wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:06 am
The relationship with Bradley Athletics right now is as good as it has ever been.
It probably helps that the Rivermen basically play beer league hockey. The last couple of times I went, there were maybe 3000 people there. Maybe.

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 »

Sure.

I just wish they would be a bit better with their gameday operations, such as concessions and entry crew.

One night the scanners weren't operating properly, another night they had one person doing tickets at a main entrance.

Concessions are hit and miss as far as having enough people and things properly working.

The security crew with MPI is top notch, but they are 3rd party and don't work for PCC.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

It is amazing what competent leadership will do. The previous leadership dating back 15 years had very little clue of what they were doing. They were all promoted from within and weren't very good at their jobs - but all lovely people I'm sure. The job requirement for GM of the PCC before Rik Edgar was "Well who has been here the longest?" Turns out that is a terrible way to hire.

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:31 am
Sure.

I just wish they would be a bit better with their gameday operations, such as concessions and entry crew.

One night the scanners weren't operating properly, another night they had one person doing tickets at a main entrance.

Concessions are hit and miss as far as having enough people and things properly working.

The security crew with MPI is top notch, but they are 3rd party and don't work for PCC.
Agree. I think they've tried to trim budget on concessions labor. If I had people willing to spend $6.50 for a beer that cost me $0.75, I'd have someone there all day long selling it.

The scanner thing is what it is - technology is great until it isn't.

The security crew is top notch in what exactly? Their main competency seems to be checking the box on various contracts requiring "security" be in place.

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

JMM28 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:39 am

The security crew is top notch in what exactly? Their main competency seems to be checking the box on various contracts requiring "security" be in place.
:lol:

Their only real job is to keep people moving and handle any actual security issues if present.

I haven't had to wait any real length of time, thus my thinking they are doing things as they should ---- if PCC security handled that process, we would still be waiting to get in for last night's game
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

squirrel wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:47 am
I know we've griped about PCC and not prioritizing Bradley, but the current management group is killing it.

They are anticipating over 30,000 visitors over the weekend, and estimating 200-300 hotel rooms for certain concerts like Luke Combs the other night and the upcoming Kiss concert.
Great points, they have brought in top notch talent which in turn is why so many people are spending lots of money downtown.

Uncle Junior
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Uncle Junior »

I just wish more fans would show up to the games.The Braves are 14-1 at home this year. When is that going to happen again? We need more fans to show up & WE NEED MORE COWBELL! :cheese :zappl :zpopcorn
I do my best thinking on the bus. That's how come I don't drive. I don't want to know how. I don't want to learn. See? The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

Uncle Junior wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:45 pm
I just wish more fans would show up to the games.The Braves are 14-1 at home this year. When is that going to happen again? We need more fans to show up & WE NEED MORE COWBELL! :cheese :zappl :zpopcorn
We all do, the weather has not helped because I think we have had 3 games where we received snow . Getting there last night was not bad as the roads were clear and just wet but the news people pretty much scared the public with their dire forecast of doom.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave »

real fan wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:53 pm
Uncle Junior wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:45 pm
We all do, the weather has not helped because I think we have had 3 games where we received snow . Getting there last night was not bad as the roads were clear and just wet but the news people pretty much scared the public with their dire forecast of doom.
#FakeNews

Pay no attention to them.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

PotterPAGuy
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by PotterPAGuy »

One thing I would love to see the PCC invest in is stat boards. Nearly every arena I have been in has stat boards that display things such as rebounds, turnovers, shooting percentages, etc. continually throughout the game. I spend most of the game on the ESPN app on my phone to get updated game statistics. It would be great for fans to have that information right at the game.
University of Alabama Crimson Tide Football
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, & 2017

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

PotterPAGuy wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:03 pm
One thing I would love to see the PCC invest in is stat boards. Nearly every arena I have been in has stat boards that display things such as rebounds, turnovers, shooting percentages, etc. continually throughout the game. I spend most of the game on the ESPN app on my phone to get updated game statistics. It would be great for fans to have that information right at the game.

That's how it was done in the old days. And, like you, I liked to follow the stat board.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

PotterPAGuy wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:03 pm
If you've ever been to Enterprise Center and seen how beautiful their board is...then compare it to the "replacement" board they put in at Carver, there comes the realization just how $crewed over the PCC was with what they purchased

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

The RC already has those stat boards. ;)
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

PH
All World
All World

Post by PH »

You mean people might pay attention to boards that display relevant game content vs the PCC’s 100% ad boards?

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

PH wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:52 pm
You mean people might pay attention to boards that display relevant game content vs the PCC’s 100% ad boards?
You also would have to hope the people at the table would be taught how to work them...

What did it take, almost an entire season for them to figure out how to properly operate the side boards that just have numbers, fouls, and points?!

Granted, if they actually had foresight (funny thing in Peoria) and purchased a better tech board, all of that stuff is kept in a computer program.

(But then the old guy would have to know how to use a computer :lol: )

PH
All World
All World

Post by PH »

You’d think between Sports Communications, Game Design and Graphics Design degrees they could offer a in-game interactive graphics experience for students to run...make it a free 1 hour A credit like band.

RobertsonFieldHouse7

Post by RobertsonFieldHouse7 »

Love, love, LOVE that RFH photo ^^^

So many great memories of getting hot dogs and popcorns under the bleachers, seeing Roger Phegley-lead team take on UNLV in a game that ended up something like 1,001 - 1,000 after endless OTs (or so it seemed to my grade school mind), and so many other great players, opponents, games.

I was a townie who grew up in the era of MVC with Cincinnati, Louisville, Tulsa, Memphis (State, then) in the MVC, Wichita was the doormat as I recall. Or maybe that was North Texas State. Or, both.

On cold, snowy nights we had to trudge from my friend's dad's car around the old hangar, and when you finally got inside, you were completely enveloped in the co-mingled smells of steamed hot dogs, fresh popcorn and a cacophony of excitement.

The red-painted wood bleachers would be cold until about 10 minutes into the first half, unless you were a booster and had a seat cushion to tuck under your butt.

It could get pretty wild in there, with the student section always ready to breakout the 'run ref run, run ref run, down the floor, out the door, run ref run' chants and more.

That place, when full, was an assault on the senses, and had to be a lot of fun to play in for both sides.

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

RobertsonFieldHouse7 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:17 pm

That place, when full, was an assault on the senses, and had to be a lot of fun to play in for both sides.
I don't miss the bathrooms.

Want to talk about something more criminal than calling the women's team "ladies", its that people used to believe that was the best way for men to use the facilities :shock:

RobertsonFieldHouse7

Post by RobertsonFieldHouse7 »

You're right, SLB, you never knew what you'd find if you ventured in, or what would find you.

I'm sure there were many other contemporary no-nos in there.

I also remember being scared to death that the rafters would collapse when the foot-stomping and bleacher-pounding really got going, but boy was it a thrill ride.

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD »

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:30 pm
You're right, SLB, you never knew what you'd find if you ventured in, or what would find you.

I also remember being scared to death that the rafters would collapse when the foot-stomping and bleacher-pounding really got going, but boy was it a thrill ride.
I worked at the FH for many years before and after attending BU. One summer I attempted to cross the middle crosswalk, which was really a crawl-walk/space. About 15 ft out one of the boards broke. That was the end of that adventure.

We had a hidden break room that was only accessible through the back of a closet. Had TV/AC and plenty of seating. What a great place.
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

Braveman
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Braveman »

JD wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:30 pm
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:30 pm

I worked at the FH for many years before and after attending BU. One summer I attempted to cross the middle crosswalk, which was really a crawl-walk/space. About 15 ft out one of the boards broke. That was the end of that adventure.

We had a hidden break room that was only accessible through the back of a closet. Had TV/AC and plenty of seating. What a great place.
That building could tell stories.... I was basketball manager in my years at BU and we often had to crawl under basketball floor to get basketballs.. you would find much more that just basketballs and volleyballs under there!

Rafters, locker rooms, stories of bands and people who went through there, some good Coach Versace and Coach Mo stories all come to mind!
“The powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?”

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:26 pm
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:17 pm

I don't miss the bathrooms.

Want to talk about something more criminal than calling the women's team "ladies", its that people used to believe that was the best way for men to use the facilities :shock:
Those bathrooms could sure move many people thru in a short time.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

real fan wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:51 pm

Those bathrooms could sure move many people thru in a short time.
You know I believe those troughs were auctioned off so someone, somewhere gets to relive (or is it relieve) those glory days on a daily basis. :lol:
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"