SIU

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Re: SIU

Post by dogsrus »

squirrel wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:53 pm
I still think winning at MSU is a long shot, especially since they just got pantsed, but we're nearing that stage as a program where you're going to be in nearly every game.
agree.... long shot but just give yourself a chance.
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

BradleyMathGrad
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by BradleyMathGrad »

dogsrus wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:03 am
squirrel wrote:
I still think winning at MSU is a long shot, especially since they just got pantsed, but we're nearing that stage as a program where you're going to be in nearly every game.
KenPom and WarrenNolan both have us as the favorite.
Remember that atmosphere when we played against Michigan, having a stretch of play where it actually got loud enough that we forced them to call Timeout.

Let's get back to that.

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth »

dogsrus wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:08 pm
UNI is undoubtedly going to be our toughest home game and not an easy W.
Likewise, it will be their toughest road game and winning Valley road games is not easy.
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth »

dogsrus wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:03 am
squirrel wrote:
I would think of it as a much bigger longshot if they had beaten UNI by 20+.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

shaunguth wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:35 pm

I always get a kick out of the thinking that "hey, they just got their but kicked so we'd better be worried when they play us next game".

Maybe the more logical thinking might be"hey, this team just got their butt kicked at home so they must be really bad. Glad we get to catch them while they're struggling".
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

DLO did play relentless D and really looked like he enjoyed shutting people down. Right now though I believe Nate's D is much better this year along with Henry. Henry has a bit of a motor. I also agree that Kingsby gives us a better D as well. One thing about a Wardle team is that the D comes first. I also believe that playing hard nosed D helps us score easier baskets. We are running fast breaks much better this year. I still worry about TOs but this is another area we have improved.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

Majik45

Post by Majik45 »

Braves4Life wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:06 pm
shaunguth wrote:

I always get a kick out of the thinking that "hey, they just got their but kicked so we'd better be worried when they play us next game".

Maybe the more logical thinking might be"hey, this team just got their butt kicked at home so they must be really bad. Glad we get to catch them while they're struggling".
This game is very similar to the game at Evansville last week. If we come out and punch them in the face to start the game, there is a good shot that they will just roll over and we could roll to get another road win. If we come out like we did in the 1st half of the SIU game, we could get buried. Very important to have a strong start on Wednesday night.

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

Braves4Life wrote:
shaunguth wrote:

Missouri State isn't a very good basketball team, despite their rafters full of Preseason Championship Banners.

Their 8 wins are...

@ISU - 209 the best win by a long shot
v Evansville - 249
v Arkansas St - 214
v Murray State - 176
v. Mississippi Valley - 353
n. St Joes - 221
v. Cleveland State - 306
v. Alabama State - 349

Even without Eli, I have no problem seeing BU going to Springfield and winning. Missouri State has the looks of a Thursday team as of right now. Maybe they get things figured out and go on a heater, but I'd be just as happy if BU could step on their throat this week.

ER3
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by ER3 »

JMM28 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:36 pm
Braves4Life wrote:
shaunguth wrote:

Missouri State isn't a very good basketball team, despite their rafters full of Preseason Championship Banners.

Their 8 wins are...

v Evansville - 249
v Arkansas St - 214
v Murray State - 176
n. St Joes - 221
v. Cleveland State - 306
v. Alabama State - 349

Even without Eli, I have no problem seeing BU going to Springfield and winning. Missouri State has the looks of a Thursday team as of right now. Maybe they get things figured out and go on a heater, but I'd be just as happy if BU could step on their throat this week.
Offensively MSU looked completely inept against UNI...

No reason we can't go in there and put ourselves in a position to win...

One concern I have with the matchup though...Ja'Shon Henry isn't gonna have a guy like Marcus Domask that he can completely abuse over and over again on the offensive end...so more of the secondary scoring may need to come from somewhere else...Nate, Ville, and Danya will all need to contribute because I'm not sure that Ja'Shon will have very favorable matchups going up against a collection of much bigger and/or more athletic guys in Da Silva, Prim, West, and Hall...

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

ER3 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:56 pm
JMM28 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:36 pm
Braves4Life wrote:

Their 8 wins are...

v Evansville - 249
v Arkansas St - 214
v Murray State - 176
n. St Joes - 221
v. Cleveland State - 306
v. Alabama State - 349

Offensively MSU looked completely inept against UNI...

No reason we can't go in there and put ourselves in a position to win...

One concern I have with the matchup though...Ja'Shon Henry isn't gonna have a guy like Marcus Domask that he can completely abuse over and over again on the offensive end...so more of the secondary scoring may need to come from somewhere else...Nate, Ville, and Danya will all need to contribute because I'm not sure that Ja'Shon will have very favorable matchups going up against a collection of much bigger and/or more athletic guys in Da Silva, Prim, West, and Hall...
Da Silva to me would be his only problem, Prim is too slow on defense to keep up with Henry. We really need to spread their defense out and hit 3 pointers or drive the ball and draw fouls.

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth »

Braves4Life wrote:
shaunguth wrote:

Exactly. This is not one of the road games I thought we would "steal" before the season started.

Had they beaten UNI by 20+, I would still feel that way. Now...not so much!

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Josh Webster was a real vocal leader for them in both games, and was a real spark plug. It appears the Bears haven't replaced that.

This is a game where I think Bradley will greatly miss Elijah, but hopefully Bar, Boya step it up like Henry against SIU.

Also, last year Jayden played 25 minutes in the first contest last year and played OK, while Brummett played 13 minutes in the second contest.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

PH
All World
All World

Post by PH »

We really missed Eli in the 1st half of the SIU game, as we had no offensive game in the post.
We won the game because everyone started attacking the rim. I think we will need that post play by committee for an entire game.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

PH wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:48 pm
We really missed Eli in the 1st half of the SIU game, as we had no offensive game in the post.
We won the game because everyone started attacking the rim. I think we will need that post play by committee for an entire game.
Dembele getting hurt was a turning point-he was abusing all 3 of Bar, Boya, and Henry. With him out of the picture, that's what opened things up for Henry. I'm not confident we win if Dembele doesn't go down.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

squirrel wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:59 pm
PH wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:48 pm
Dembele getting hurt was a turning point-he was abusing all 3 of Bar, Boya, and Henry. With him out of the picture, that's what opened things up for Henry. I'm not confident we win if Dembele doesn't go down.
Disagree, he was no offensive threat which is why they lost, had trouble scoring in the second half.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Clearly you weren't watching him defensively. . .he was easily interrupting the ball on drives and rebounds.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

squirrel wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:18 am
Clearly you weren't watching him defensively. . .he was easily interrupting the ball on drives and rebounds.
He still was not going to score much, defense is fine but you still have to be able to score. SIU has gone back to the days of playing hard nose defense because of their coach but with a shorter shot clock it does not transpire as well in this new age of basketball.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

we sure had better luck attacking the basket second half especially with Henry..... question is was that prompted by the SIU guy out or would we have attacked it anyway... and had he been in would we have had the same success.....

We didn’t go down low much 1st half
again by design or just because SIU was defending better.....

Either way it was a good second half adjustment by the Warden and we took advantage of the injury.....!!!!!! Eli said what..... :?
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

dogsrus wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:03 pm
we sure had better luck attacking the basket second half especially with Henry..... question is was that prompted by the SIU guy out or would we have attacked it anyway... and had he been in would we have had the same success.....

Either way it was a good second half adjustment by the Warden and we took advantage of the injury.....!!!!!! Eli said what..... :?
The injured guy played 9 minutes, had 1 point and 1 rebound with 0 blocks, he may have played great defense yet had he not gotten hurt we still win by at least 15. The main reason why we struggled to score in the first half was more to do with our offense moving in slow motion, we more then likely took this game for granted and finally got serious about it after trailing after the first half.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

dogsrus wrote:

Yes, it absolutely was. He was the major reason Bradley couldn’t score in the first half, and why Bradley had 11 TOs. With him out of the picture, that’s when Bradley’s offense was able to produce.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

squirrel wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:45 pm
dogsrus wrote:

Yes, it absolutely was. He was the major reason Bradley couldn’t score in the first half, and why Bradley had 11 TOs. With him out of the picture, that’s when Bradley’s offense was able to produce.
Gosh he must have guarded everyone on the court and also stopped every player on offense, remarkable feat for one player. Not saying the guy did not influence a few shots but he sure as he-- was not completely responsible for our offense playing so poorly in the first half.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

real fan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:41 pm
dogsrus wrote:

The injured guy played 9 minutes, had 1 point and 1 rebound with 0 blocks, he may have played great defense yet had he not gotten hurt we still win by at least 15. The main reason why we struggled to score in the first half was more to do with our offense moving in slow motion, we more then likely took this game for granted and finally got serious about it after trailing after the first half.
Not disagreeing with either you or squirrel.... just asking questions and thinking out loud.... also NOT questioning the Wardens game plan...

Again my main question is why did we wait until the second half to exploit the mismatch we had down low with Henry and BOTH bigs.... neither could stop him IMO.

I’m just chalking it up to good second half adjustments but BW......

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

Anybody know what happened to the SIU fan that use to post on here years ago?

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

real fan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:12 pm
Anybody know what happened to the SIU fan that use to post on here years ago?
He died.... sorry to say. Only in his 60’s.

miss the banter especially when we played SIU.....he was a big cub fan too.....
Kkkkkkkkerry wood

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

I don’t make this stuff up. Go watch the tape. Tape don’t lie.