Bradley's depth 19/20 season

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by SaintLouBrave22 »

SFP wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:02 pm
Problem is we are depending on freshman for depth. Hopefully the staff can coach those 3 up quickly. We'll need all 3 at some point during the season guaranteed. Boya will play minutes but only in 2-3 minute stretches max. The guy needs to focus on just a few areas to see the floor more and that is protect the rim, rebound, set picks without moving and run the floor.
McAdoo better be **** good next season because right now, that is looking like a glaring miss to me that could have been used on a volume scoring junior college type
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

HoustonBrave
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by HoustonBrave »

It is obvious that if 2 of our starters have an off night, the bench is unable to fill the production shortage gap. For example, DB & KB were off in our game against Memphis, so we lost badly despite dominating the boards by a large margin. We could have lost by a much lesser margin (or even won by couple of points) against #15 ranked Memphis, if our bench was strong. In short, overall, our bench is WEAK, that means that we lack quality in our depth, which what our opponents could capitalize on. Therefore, for us win against the top 50% of MVC competition, our starters MUST show up to play.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

HoustonBrave wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:59 am
It is obvious that if 2 of our starters have an off night, the bench is unable to fill the production shortage gap. For example, DB & KB were off in our game against Memphis, so we lost badly despite dominating the boards by a large margin. We could have lost by a much lesser margin (or even won by couple of points) against #15 ranked Memphis, if our bench was strong. In short, overall, our bench is WEAK, that means that we lack quality in our depth, which what our opponents could capitalize on. Therefore, for us win against the top 50% of MVC competition, our starters MUST show up to play.
Just about every team in the Valley has this problem, your star players need to perform like star players in order for you to win games. I wish we would have been lucky enough that Nolan could be playing this season.

bufan39
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by bufan39 »

real fan wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:38 am
HoustonBrave wrote:
Just about every team in the Valley has this problem, your star players need to perform like star players in order for you to win games. I wish we would have been lucky enough that Nolan could be playing this season.
If Terry Nolan could have played this year... Man.
~Compete. Defend. Rebound.~

NCAA Tournament Appearances - 2019, 2006, 1996, 1988, 1986, 1980, 1955, 1954, 1950
MVC Tournament Champions - 2019, 1988, 1980
MVC Regular Season Champions - 1996, 1988, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1962, 1950

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

real fan wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:38 am
HoustonBrave wrote:
Agreed. If two of the three of Nate, DB or Eli have bad games Bradley isn't going to win very many. There isn't anything guys like Ville, Boya or Gabriel can do to offset that. What they can do is provide assistance and help when guys like Kingsby, Henry or Bar struggle.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

jim beam
All World
All World

Post by jim beam »

This is what I was trying to get at with my comment (somewhere on this board) about EC being the 2-3 best player on most other teams, whereas he is our stud. He is a stud caliber player, but I feel like if he didn't have to be , if we had 1-2 guys that were game in game out star caliber players he could just be free to do his thing. I probably am not going to be able make my point with the right words, but I agree with the sentiments in the last few posts.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

bufan39

Post by bufan39 »

jim beam wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:17 am
This is what I was trying to get at with my comment (somewhere on this board) about EC being the 2-3 best player on most other teams, whereas he is our stud. He is a stud caliber player, but I feel like if he didn't have to be , if we had 1-2 guys that were game in game out star caliber players he could just be free to do his thing. I probably am not going to be able make my point with the right words, but I agree with the sentiments in the last few posts.
EC is the perfect compliment to a stud guard. The guy I have in mind is someone like a Tyreke Key.
~Compete. Defend. Rebound.~

NCAA Tournament Appearances - 2019, 2006, 1996, 1988, 1986, 1980, 1955, 1954, 1950
MVC Tournament Champions - 2019, 1988, 1980
MVC Regular Season Champions - 1996, 1988, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1962, 1950

HoustonBrave
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by HoustonBrave »

Brian Wardle needs to give SOME bench players like Ville, Antonio, Houpt and of course Gabriel more playing time during easier games so that the bench could become stronger and be a solid back-up in the MVC tourny and beyond. This strategy was actually something Dick Versace credited after winning the NIT tournament in 1982. After winning the tournament, Versace said that same was the key factor. That is how deeper teams are built, if a mid-major program can only attract 2-star recruits, and, since our bench is mostly composed of freshmen, the rewards will last longer.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

HoustonBrave wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:16 pm
Brian Wardle needs to give SOME bench players like Ville, Antonio, Houpt and of course Gabriel more playing time during easier games so that the bench could become stronger and be a solid back-up in the MVC tourny and beyond. This strategy was actually something Dick Versace credited after winning the NIT tournament in 1982. After winning the tournament, Versace said that same was the key factor. That is how deeper teams are built, if a mid-major program can only attract 2-star recruits, and, since our bench is mostly composed of freshmen, the rewards will last longer.
Wardle has done
exactly that.... he’s given bench players minutes.
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

HoustonBrave wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:16 pm
I agree with this, but keep in mind the A&T game wasn't really safe to get these guys meaningful minutes until there were about 10- 12 minutes left in the game. That said, Ville ended up getting 22 minutes and Gabriel 11. Both more than Henry. With Kingsby and Brown on the roster I'm sure Wardle didn't see the urgency to get Thomas more minutes, especially since he had a few turnovers in his limited minutes.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

You have three guys (DB, Eli and Nate) who are going to play 32+ minutes every night. Kingsby, Henry and Koch will get in the 20s. There aren’t a ton of minutes to go around after that.
~Thomas Jefferson

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 »

Last year, Henry had some pretty bad non-con games and was a DNP for the start of conference season, but by the end was a key rotation player. A nice role will certainly be there for anyone that shows they are ready for it.
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

HoustonBrave
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by HoustonBrave »

With Gabriel released, Kingby receiving a warning via a one-game suspension (which could be an indicator of a possible permanent future suspension), 2 sit-out transfers, injuries to Mast and Childs, team depth is a HUGE issue. That is especially true if DB has an off night like the one he had at Miami (Ohio) game. Not a pretty position (in terms of depth) at the start of the MVC season where every team will play us hard, being the reigning MVC champs. Hope we will be able weather the storm until Childs gets back, as I hope other players step up in the meantime. Not a pretty position to be in, to say the least!

HoustonBrave
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by HoustonBrave »

BIG game today as we start the MVC season. Not sure how how OUR lack of depth will affect us today. But, hopefully it will be a "W" for us if DB will have a good game.

GO BRAVES!

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Mike Radigan »

I cannot see us winning this game. But if we do, we’ll win the regular title. Book it.

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth »

HoustonBrave wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:06 pm
BIG game today as we start the MVC season. Not sure how how OUR lack of depth will affect us today. But, hopefully it will be a "W" for us if DB will have a good game.

GO BRAVES!
I'm not sure DB has had a good true road game this season. Possibly St. Joseph's, but he had five TO's and we lost to a bad team when we DID have EC in the lineup.
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Mike Radigan wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:31 pm
I cannot see us winning this game. But if we do, we’ll win the regular title. Book it.
I won't BOOK a regular season title, but we'd be in the driver's seat, and I would feel pretty good about have Wardle at the reins.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

I think two games in it’s pretty early to make many proclamations. I’m not sold on UNI.
~Thomas Jefferson

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:47 pm
I think two games in it’s pretty early to make many proclamations. I’m not sold on UNI.
Yeah..... waaayyyy to early to make that call. no doubt a huge W if it happens but lots of season left......
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.