Bradley v Kansas St

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
ER3
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Bradley v Kansas St

Post by ER3 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:42 am

bufan39 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:31 am
chitown fanatic wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:01 am
its amazing what hitting half your shots will overcome....you could see it in every facet of the game...rebounding especially. darryl had his best game of the season and of course Nate was great too. Memphis is now a bonus for me, our conference blows and we should finally be top 3 barring injuries and the Ides
Anything less than a top 3 finish from this group would be very disappointing.
Agreed...but we really need a couple guys from the group of Ville, Gabriel, Ari, and Antonio to step up and show that they can give us some production by the time we get into conference play. We basically have a 6 man rotation right now.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:05 pm

ER3 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:42 am
bufan39 wrote:
chitown fanatic wrote:
its amazing what hitting half your shots will overcome....you could see it in every facet of the game...rebounding especially. darryl had his best game of the season and of course Nate was great too. Memphis is now a bonus for me, our conference blows and we should finally be top 3 barring injuries and the Ides
Agreed...but we really need a couple guys from the group of Ville, Gabriel, Ari, and Antonio to step up and show that they can give us some production by the time we get into conference play. We basically have a 6 man rotation right now.
Not sure is worried is the correct word but i have some concerns about those 4....... perhaps unfounded since they are 3 freshman and an inexperienced sophomore.

Ville can’t buy a bucket.... hopefully that will change..... Ari shows moments but is still a long way from production..... Thomas is actually the most impressive of the 4 and still has a long way to go.

Gabriel is the most disappointing and probably that’s not fair that he was maybe hyped too much......

As far as turnovers this group had several of those 23 so you could lower that number but then your increasing the top 6
number of minutes......
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

bufan39
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by bufan39 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:30 pm

dogsrus wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:05 pm
ER3 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:42 am
bufan39 wrote:

Not sure is worried is the correct word but i have some concerns about those 4....... perhaps unfounded since they are 3 freshman and an inexperienced sophomore.

Ville can’t buy a bucket.... hopefully that will change..... Ari shows moments but is still a long way from production..... Thomas is actually the most impressive of the 4 and still has a long way to go.

Gabriel is the most disappointing and probably that’s not fair that he was maybe hyped too much......

As far as turnovers this group had several of those 23 so you could lower that number but then your increasing the top 6
number of minutes......
These are good posts. I would agree that what we’ve seen out of VT, AB, SG, and AT has left a lot to be desired. They are young with a lot of room for growth but my hope is that VT finds his shot. He’s not afraid to shoot it which is fine but eventually a few of those 3 balls have to go down. I do like that AT values the ball. I like what I’ve seen from him but knowing he’s not going to give you much offensive production.
~Compete. Defend. Rebound.~

NCAA Tournament Appearances - 2019, 2006, 1996, 1988, 1986, 1980, 1955, 1954, 1950
MVC Tournament Champions - 2019, 1988, 1980
MVC Regular Season Champions - 1996, 1988, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1962, 1950

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:18 pm

bufan39 wrote:
chitown fanatic wrote:
If they finish 4th and win it all in St Louis I'll be fine. This team has a way to go on offense IMO for them to finish at the top. I expect them to get better but how fast is the question? If someone else steps up and is able to hit 3s beyond Nate And DB we'll be a top 2 team. The Valley teams will have someone following Nate, a bigger athletic one on DB and will double up EC in the paint. I like KBs in the key jumper but Henry and Kingsby will be open time and time again. Can just one of them be able to hit the 3 at a 35% clip?

Oh they need to clean up their dumb turnovers and I mean dumb. Silly is to polite.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:28 pm

I suspect we'll see a lot more of Boya in the next 3 games.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:22 pm

SFP wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:18 pm

If they finish 4th and win it all in St Louis I'll be fine.
THIS!!! I know many won't be satisfied until Bradley wins a regular season title but IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MVCT! Winning the regular season is fine and all but SHOW ME THE MONEY!! Winning the conference tournament is the only way to the NCAA Tournament this year and that's how you get both recognition and a big payday.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:52 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:22 pm
SFP wrote:

THIS!!! I know many won't be satisfied until Bradley wins a regular season title but IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MVCT! Winning the regular season is fine and all but SHOW ME THE MONEY!! Winning the conference tournament is the only way to the NCAA Tournament this year and that's how you get both recognition and a big payday.
I hear you but you establish a program winning in the regular season. Do that enough and MVCT championships and NCAA Tournament berths will come. Let’s make it less about a three game lucky stretch and more about something sustainable.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:19 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:52 pm
Braves4Life wrote:
SFP wrote:

I hear you but you establish a program winning in the regular season. Do that enough and MVCT championships and NCAA Tournament berths will come. Let’s make it less about a three game lucky stretch and more about something sustainable.
I agree. The MVC as a “no chance for more than 1 bid” league is a very recent thing. Losing the top 2 programs in the league in a 5 year stretch will do that. There is an obvious void at the top. It has happened in the past with defections. The league ebbs and flows but has always seen a program or two step up to fill the void.

Loyola has done a good job trying to fill it. I think there is no reason that BU can not ascend to a Creighton level. BU-Loyola-Missouri State should be the top 3 programs annually and top 75 programs in the country most years.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:53 pm

JMM28 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:19 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:52 pm
Braves4Life wrote:

I agree. The MVC as a “no chance for more than 1 bid” league is a very recent thing. Losing the top 2 programs in the league in a 5 year stretch will do that. There is an obvious void at the top. It has happened in the past with defections. The league ebbs and flows but has always seen a program or two step up to fill the void.

Loyola has done a good job trying to fill it. I think there is no reason that BU can not ascend to a Creighton level. BU-Loyola-Missouri State should be the top 3 programs annually and top 75 programs in the country most years.
Mo.St; BU and UNI to me are the top 3 at this time. I agree with Tribe which almost makes me want to :gagr ; Bradley needs to win the conference a few times in order to get better recognition going forward plus it gives them a better seed and chance at winning the Tour.

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:02 pm

So what some of you are saying is that last year's results would be disappointing? I hope for a better conference record but winning in St Louis to me is tops. Yes it is best to build from success but making it to the NCAA is the gold standard of success in this game IMO.

NCAA Tourney team
Conference Championship
NIT team
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:02 pm

SFP wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:02 pm
So what some of you are saying is that last year's results would be disappointing? I hope for a better conference record but winning in St Louis to me is tops. Yes it is best to build from success but making it to the NCAA is the gold standard of success in this game IMO.

NCAA Tourney team
Conference Championship
NIT team
Of course making the NCAA is the gold standard. But you increase your chances of getting there with championship caliber teams and consistent success.
~Thomas Jefferson

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:19 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:02 pm
SFP wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:02 pm

NCAA Tourney team
Conference Championship
NIT team
Of course making the NCAA is the gold standard. But you increase your chances of getting there with championship caliber teams and consistent success.
I actually think this is a chicken and egg kind of thing...cart before the horse. IMO, going to the NCAA tournament brings you the eyes and recognition needed for recruiting, plus the extra money for making the field. Win the regular season and miss the big tournament does little, even if you make the NIT or lower consolation tournament. I get your point tribe, and I too think winning the regular season is important. But at a time when the league is a one bid league I think the extra money and exposure from making the Big Dance ends up getting you to where you have the recruits to build a dynasty that can win multiple regular season titles and more.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:27 pm

I feel like winning the league multiple times gives you a better chance at winning the tour. also, no doubt going to the big dance is more important but call me greedy as I want to win both many times.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:49 am

Wonder how many mo valley reg season winners went to NCAA over last 10-15 years.....

Of course we want to win reg season but without NCAA appearance it’s kinda meaningless.....kinda!!!!

Give me top 1-2-3 every year and win the Tournament......
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:57 am

dogsrus wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:49 am
Wonder how many mo valley reg season winners went to NCAA over last 10-15 years.....

Of course we want to win reg season but without NCAA appearance it’s kinda meaningless.....kinda!!!!

The regular season champ used to always be an at large lock, even in down years. We had something like almost a decade straight of multiple bids? It’s one of the things that made Valley jobs - especially the Bradley job - a very attractive one. Certainly not that way anymore for our league, and that’s a shame.

Our job is still the top job in the league though.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:14 pm

dogsrus wrote:
THIS should be our goal. My intent was never to minimize a regular season championship. In fact, the best way to positively impact our attendance issues would probably be to achieve this top 3 consistently with a regular season championship and undefeated home court record mixed in.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:53 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:14 pm
dogsrus wrote:
THIS should be our goal. My intent was never to minimize a regular season championship. In fact, the best way to positively impact our attendance issues would probably be to achieve this top 3 consistently with a regular season championship and undefeated home court record mixed in.
Don’t think anyone thought that b4l...... to me this is one of those message board “ arguments” where really everyone is actually on the same page.... we all want top Valley finishes and we all understand how valuable NCAA tourney appearances are!!!

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:55 pm

dogsrus wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:53 pm
Braves4Life wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:14 pm
dogsrus wrote:
Don’t think anyone thought that b4l...... to me this is one of those message board “ arguments” where really everyone is actually on the same page.... we all want top Valley finishes and we all understand how valuable NCAA tourney appearances are!!!
Good point.

Maybe I'm also scarred from the 2006 run which turned out to be the flukiest of flukes.
~Thomas Jefferson

Dallas Brave
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Dallas Brave » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:36 pm

Winning the conference tournament is the most important goal. Finishing in the top 3 of the regular season sets you up to win the tournament.

In the 11 seasons (2002-03 through 2012-13) prior to leaving the MVC, Creighton won the regular season only twice, but won the conference tournament 5 times. Only in their last season did they pull off winning the regular season and the conference tournament. Creighton did have 8 top-3 finishes during the 11 year span and in their other 4 conference tournament wins, they finished 2nd or 3rd in the regular season.

Interestingly, Creighton's decision to leave the MVC had a huge upside for Wichita State. During that same 11 season span, Wichita State never won the conference tournament although, similar to CU, they also had 8 top-3 regular season finishes. Once Creighton was gone, Wichita State feasted on the MVC for the next four years winning the regular season crown each year and winning the conference tournament twice.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:17 pm

Dallas Brave wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:36 pm
Winning the conference tournament is the most important goal. Finishing in the top 3 of the regular season sets you up to win the tournament.

In the 11 seasons (2002-03 through 2012-13) prior to leaving the MVC, Creighton won the regular season only twice, but won the conference tournament 5 times. Only in their last season did they pull off winning the regular season and the conference tournament. Creighton did have 8 top-3 finishes during the 11 year span and in their other 4 conference tournament wins, they finished 2nd or 3rd in the regular season.

Interestingly, Creighton's decision to leave the MVC had a huge upside for Wichita State. During that same 11 season span, Wichita State never won the conference tournament although, similar to CU, they also had 8 top-3 regular season finishes. Once Creighton was gone, Wichita State feasted on the MVC for the next four years winning the regular season crown each year and winning the conference tournament twice.
Bolded for emphasis. . .the NCAA is the gold standard. . .Creighton did amazing things without winning a regular season title, or even going on an NCAA run. . .there was a stretch where the Valley could boast in a 10-year span (starting in 1998):

100% membership participation in the NCAA
80% had won at least one game
40% had been to the Sweet 16 (Creighton kept that number from being 50%, and interestingly, they still have not made it since 1974; Illinois State had a talented enough team in 1998 that number could easily have been 60%)

The big difference with Creighton is, as you point out, they were consistently at the top, and in a position to be able to win the tournament. And even though they never had a run in the NCAA, they won some first round games, they went a lot, and were always competitive.

They built a reputation and preserved it.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:52 pm

Speaking of Wardle...... anyone notice the difference in his demeanor and coaching Mon verse Weds..... weds he was more
demonstrative.... more intense..... he had shorter fuse and a quicker hook......

Not that this was surprising but it was night n day and something that really grabbed my attention.....was kinda fun to watch, at
least from the stands :D