Bradley-St Joe’s

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Bradley-St Joe’s

Post by shaunguth » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:24 pm

dogsrus wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:16 pm
Refs have been favoring home crowds for 100 years and that won’t change..... fans have been blaming refs for 105 years and that won’t change..... why should it?????
Thankfully, we have 17 home games and just 12 true road games.
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

mexicoBUfan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by mexicoBUfan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:34 pm

So now you are going to take a statement that I made that every other poster on this board understood but you and try and make a point! Well played!

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:35 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:29 pm
real fan wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:02 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:52 am
If anyone affiliated with Bradley (fans, players, coaches, etc) expected to go on the road to St. Joe's, with East Coast officials, and then get a favorable whistle then shame on them. Newsflash, when St. Joe's comes back to Peoria next season the Hawks won't get the favorable whistle. This has been a part of basketball for a hundred years.

36% shooting from two point range won't win you many games. Last night Bradley shot probably 10 jump shots from 15 feet to 20 feet. That's about eight too many.

Many things are true.

1) The officiating was pretty bad
2) Saint Joe's isn't very good
3) Bradley has a lot of room to get better and needs to with championship aspirations
4) Eli and DB won't be this bad together very often
5) All three freshmen look like legit MVC players
6) Danya Kingsby is an upgrade over Luqman Lundy
7) Bradley was the only MVC team to play on the road last night
8) The MVC probably isn't very good again
9) Let's move on and win Saturday
I can agree with many of your points, also opening up on the road with so many newbies on our roster was not a good idea, wish we could have played this first part of December.
It's college basketball in 2019. A lot of teams have new players. Let's not go there with this group. Bradley starts four guys who have been starters for three and four years in the Missouri Valley Conference. The "newbies" had nothing to do with the struggles last night.
Right....it's amazing that one of St. Joseph's newbies managed to score more points than anyone wearing a Bradley jersey. Not just our newbies...but all five of our upperclassmen who saw action last night.

mexicoBUfan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by mexicoBUfan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:47 pm

Are you talking about the newbie that was the leading scorer for two years on another D1 team?

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:48 pm

I wouldn't really put a guy who led his previous team in scoring in the same category as your typical newbie. Would you?
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:04 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:48 pm
I wouldn't really put a guy who led his previous team in scoring in the same category as your typical newbie. Would you?
Ryan Daly has been a good scorer on bad teams. Good for him. He would be the third best player on the BU roster.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:38 pm

I have to say we are growing up as a board. This had to be the most thought out and mature responses to a lost game I've seen from this board ever... After all the nauseating news we get from real life (no matter who you like in politics) I'm all for a positive board! I'll probably drop off if this board melts down this year. :D

I'm not saying you can't give constructive criticism but there's a line you should not cross and most of us I believe understand where that is.

BTW - How many of you guys watched NC tonight? If not you have to catch a game of theirs this year. Cole Anthony is a star in the making (some would say he already is one). For you guys not following recruits he's the son of Greg Anthony.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:51 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:04 pm
Braves4Life wrote:
Ryan Daly has been a good scorer on bad teams. Good for him. He would be the third best player on the BU roster.
I agree. We need one of our players, outside of the Big 2, to step up and assume that role on a nightly basis. Hopefully Kennell, Kingsby or Henry can be that guy.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:53 pm

SFP wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:38 pm

BTW - How many of you guys watched NC tonight? If not you have to catch a game of theirs this year. Cole Anthony is a star in the making (some would say he already is one). For you guys not following recruits he's the son of Greg Anthony.
Yes, he will be one and done. He should really shine on a depleted Carolina team this year.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:54 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:51 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:04 pm
Braves4Life wrote:
I agree. We need one of our players, outside of the Big 2, to step up and assume that role on a nightly basis. Hopefully Kennell, Kingsby or Henry can be that guy.
The other guys weren’t the problem last night. Koch had a double-double. Henry had 10 and 5. Kingsby 7-5-3 and four steals. Solid games by the supporting cast.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:58 pm

Good points tribe. Perhaps my expectations for Henry were too high. I was (perhaps unrealistically) hoping for more of a quantum leap from him. I was impressed with Bar and Kingsby and hope we continue to utilize Bar as a threat from 12-15 feet out to open things up for Childs.

mexicoBUfan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by mexicoBUfan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:59 pm

After a long day and a lot of thought I will be signing off. Im not mad at anyone and not trying to make a grand exit. Appreciate everyone’s thoughts and passion for BU basketball. I have made a couple friends while on the board and will stay in touch. Best wishes to everyone during the holiday season and you know I hope in a big way you all get what you want out of BU basketball. BU basketball has been a big part of my life and about the best thing Peoria has to offer! Keep the debates going.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:00 pm

Speaking of referees, Paul Janssen appears to have suffered a career-ending injury in last night's UNI/ODU game.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:25 pm

squirrel wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:00 pm
Speaking of referees, Paul Janssen appears to have suffered a career-ending injury in last night's UNI/ODU game.
An injury that could do what tons of terrible calls and #refshows couldn’t do? Say it ain’t so.

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:26 pm

mexicoBUfan wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:47 pm
Are you talking about the newbie that was the leading scorer for two years on another D1 team?
No.

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:28 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Probably not. However, Myles Douglas averaged just 2 points/game for Central Florida two years ago and sat out last year. :?

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:42 pm

squirrel wrote:
What happened? ACL? It looked like a strained calf that got worse as the first half wore on. I know he left the game just before halftime and didn't return for the second half.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:25 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:42 pm
squirrel wrote:
What happened? ACL? It looked like a strained calf that got worse as the first half wore on. I know he left the game just before halftime and didn't return for the second half.
I believe he popped his Achilles. Paul had been battling knee issues for several years, but it looks like his Achilles ended up being his Achilles.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

jim beam
All World
All World

Post by jim beam » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:34 am

mexicoBUfan wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:59 pm
After a long day and a lot of thought I will be signing off. Im not mad at anyone and not trying to make a grand exit. Appreciate everyone’s thoughts and passion for BU basketball. I have made a couple friends while on the board and will stay in touch. Best wishes to everyone during the holiday season and you know I hope in a big way you all get what you want out of BU basketball. BU basketball has been a big part of my life and about the best thing Peoria has to offer! Keep the debates going.
That's too bad, one of the more insightful posters IMO.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Mike Radigan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:31 am

You’re always welcome back.

RobertsonFieldHouse7
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by RobertsonFieldHouse7 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:42 pm

I was sorry to see Mex go, and I hope he comes back.

I always valued his insight from the inside, even when it made me crazy.

And something about my posts seemed to make him crazy, too ... but maybe he didn't value mine they way I valued his. :o

He (and some others) often seemed to read into my posts that I am/was anti-BW, and I'm emphatically not. I'm just not blindly pro-BW, and don't mind calling out my perception of his room for development, and my hope that he works on them to make himself even better as a leader of young men and a coach of BU basketball.

Hope I wasn't the reason Mex checked out, or a contributing factor.

But if I was either (or even if I wasn't), I hope he sneaks a peek back here and sees this and decides I'm not/we're not the enemy, and gives it another go.

#ComeBackMex

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:03 pm

****, one bites the dust after ONE game...

What the hell did you guys say to him?!
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:07 pm

I don’t wanna speak for mex but it was the correct decision for him at this time and nobody did or said anything that forced him or
pushed him out...... i.e., he’s not mad at anyone.

He simply realized that from his vantage point
of the program and it’s current regime it’s best if he steps aside for the time being.

It’s something he’s thought about and had been encouraged to do so before......

He isn’t a family member of any players or anything but it’s kinda like when a family
member try’s to be a poster.....it’s hard to be unbiased and at times not to defensive when things get spicy......

He’s a terrific and loyal supporter of the program like many others and will remain so.... he has no idea i’m posting this and the only reason I did is just to ease the mind of a
few that MIGHT think or feel it was because of some recent discussions.... his skin isn’t THAT thin.....

This board is operating , IMO , at and with a high level of integrity has a great group of posters and does a great job of policing itself.... Im sure Mex
would agree !!!!!! onward n upward....
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:11 pm

RobertsonFieldHouse7 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:42 pm
I was sorry to see Mex go, and I hope he comes back.

I always valued his insight from the inside, even when it made me crazy.

And something about my posts seemed to make him crazy, too ... but maybe he didn't value mine they way I valued his. :o

He (and some others) often seemed to read into my posts that I am/was anti-BW, and I'm emphatically not. I'm just not blindly pro-BW, and don't mind calling out my perception of his room for development, and my hope that he works on them to make himself even better as a leader of young men and a coach of BU basketball.

Hope I wasn't the reason Mex checked out, or a contributing factor.

But if I was either (or even if I wasn't), I hope he sneaks a peek back here and sees this and decides I'm not/we're not the enemy, and gives it another go.

#ComeBackMex
Don’t change 7..... mex
wouldn’t want you to. Speak your mind..... see my recent rambling about his departure. :D
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:17 pm

Great points dogs. This is a great board with a good group of knowledgeable posters. Let's just stay away from the "nitpick & gotcha" stuff, where every word is micro-analyzed, and I think everyone can get along just fine and have some fun.