Lots has been written about players taking the next step. What do you want to see Wardle improve on?

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
PenZam
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Lots has been written about players taking the next step. What do you want to see Wardle improve on?

Post by PenZam » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:49 am

This board has had lots of really great discussions about different players taking the next step to keep the momentum going. As we head into the 19-20 season, what do you want to see Wardle improve on? Substitution patterns, play calling, etc?

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Lots has been written about players taking the next step. What do you want to see Wardle improve on?

Post by squirrel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:02 am

Media relations.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Lots has been written about players taking the next step. What do you want to see Wardle improve on?

Post by Braves4Life » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:15 am

squirrel wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:02 am
Media relations.
It would be nice to have a season without some drama between Wardle and a player and/or media. Wardle is still a young coach and probably still evolving when it comes to learning how to better handle and manage his emotions. I'd also like to see him get a quicker handle on who his best players are so he can play a set lineup with stable substitution patterns. I thought he did a great job of this after last season's Drake debacle which, not coincidentally, was the beginning of the team's run to the MVC championship.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

BradleyMathGrad
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by BradleyMathGrad » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:52 am

squirrel wrote:
Media relations.
I honestly don't think Wardle gives a S**t about the media and I like it that way. That being said...I am all about avoiding controversy and want to avoid anything that paints Bradley in a bad light. But I feel like Wardle has instilled an "us against the world" mindset with this team and that "we don't care what anyone else thinks about us besides us." I'm sure he'll probably do the same thing if/when we get picked to finish 2-4 in the Valley this year even after winning the tournament last year. I could not care less about anything Dave Reynolds or the pjstar writes about anymore. Just give them the bare minimum you are contractually allowed to keep them happy keep focusing on bringing Bradley basketball back.
Remember that atmosphere when we played against Michigan, having a stretch of play where it actually got loud enough that we forced them to call Timeout.

Let's get back to that.

jim beam
All World
All World

Post by jim beam » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:00 am

The thread title could be the longest ever...why not just ask the question about Wardle and skip the first part. At any rate, I think he needs to be better at a lot of things, but chief among them is his stubbornness about certain players. He figured out the whole JH thing way too late. I will never comprehend that debacle.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:54 am

BradleyMathGrad wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:52 am
squirrel wrote:
Media relations.
I honestly don't think Wardle gives a S**t about the media and I like it that way. That being said...I am all about avoiding controversy and want to avoid anything that paints Bradley in a bad light. But I feel like Wardle has instilled an "us against the world" mindset with this team and that "we don't care what anyone else thinks about us besides us." I'm sure he'll probably do the same thing if/when we get picked to finish 2-4 in the Valley this year even after winning the tournament last year. I could not care less about anything Dave Reynolds or the pjstar writes about anymore. Just give them the bare minimum you are contractually allowed to keep them happy keep focusing on bringing Bradley basketball back.
Every coach in America cares about the media and the coverage they get. Every. Single. One.

Do you think the team that won the league tourney the previous year should automatically be the preseason #1 the next year?
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Non-con scheduling. :joker
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

BradleyMathGrad

Post by BradleyMathGrad » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:51 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:54 am
BradleyMathGrad wrote:
squirrel wrote:
Media relations.
Every coach in America cares about the media and the coverage they get. Every. Single. One.

Do you think the team that won the league tourney the previous year should automatically be the preseason #1 the next year?
You completely missed my point. If and when we are picked 2-4, he will use that as motivation for his team being disrespected by the media, even though they won the tournament last year and bring most of the team back. Does Wardle actually believe that? I doubt it, but I'm sure that's exactly what he is going to tell his team.
Remember that atmosphere when we played against Michigan, having a stretch of play where it actually got loud enough that we forced them to call Timeout.

Let's get back to that.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:52 pm

BradleyMathGrad wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:51 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:54 am
BradleyMathGrad wrote:

You completely missed my point. If and when we are picked 2-4, he will use that as motivation for his team being disrespected by the media, even though they won the tournament last year and bring most of the team back. Does Wardle actually believe that? I doubt it, but I'm sure that's exactly what he is going to tell his team.
No doubt. Coaches love the us against the world, everyone doubts us stuff.
~Thomas Jefferson

Ozark Husk
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Ozark Husk » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Miss me?

OrangeandBlack74
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by OrangeandBlack74 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Ozark Husk wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:57 pm
Miss me?
Nope! :joker
Once a Brave...Always a Brave

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:08 pm

Substitution patterns. I also wish he would let the MVP of the game be interviewed by our radio staff after the game.

RobertsonFieldHouse7

Post by RobertsonFieldHouse7 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:39 pm

I would love to see progression on the aspects where he and staff have been shown to need development, based on previous Hilltop seasons:

1. Player game vs practice performance evaluation
- This has proven tough each season for the staff, who appear to lean too heavily on practice performance vs game performance. That's clearly what happened last season, and was directly responsible for the under-valuation of Lundy and the over-valuation of Hodgson and Pittman.

2. In game performance evaluation
- The much discussed substitution patterns. I for one don't mind more substitutions vs fewer, if you're running in fresh legs and floor command. I do mind it when it's a fast yank on a mistake, or in the middle of a hot streak, or too late in a molasses slog.

3. Non con scheduling
- It looks better for the coming season, but really, you have to draw a line in the sand and just not go there for sub-200 teams ... and keep moving that line up.

4. A broader definition of friends of the program and/or narrower definition of enemies of the program
- The branding disaster on the eve of the return to The Dance last year was a symptom of a festering wound, that BW and staff just seem incapable of not scratching. It would be good to see him/them learn some discipline here. Ok, fine, keep your "us against them; we all we got/need" siege mentality. Just let more people into the definition of "we." It's amazing how far friends will take you -- and how deeply friends turned enemies will work to bury you.

None of this is to take away from impressive season-over-season team progression, some great player development, and the return for BU to the top tier of the Valley.

Work on improving those 4 items, and maybe you can get the program to remain in the Valley top tier and national discussion.

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Wardle's team appear to step up towards the end of the season. I'd like that adjustment he makes to happen at least when conference play starts and not half way through.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

mexicoBUfan

Post by mexicoBUfan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:49 pm

I wish he would read this board to get advise on player rotations. Also it would be nice if he wouldn’t make adjustments to find the best way for this team to win mid season. And lastly if there is any way for him not to have a job as Head Coach in D1 and then think he is smarter than the guy doing the job, that would be special.

mexicoBUfan

Post by mexicoBUfan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:54 pm

And let me add your talking about the second winningest Coach under 40 in D1 and that’s with rebuilding Bradley from nothing. He has a great deal to improve on? Get serious! Does he have things to improve on, hell yes but he is way ahead of the curve!

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:03 pm

mexicoBUfan wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:54 pm
And let me add your talking about the second winningest Coach under 40 in D1 and that’s with rebuilding Bradley from nothing. He has a great deal to improve on? Get serious! Does he have things to improve on, hell yes but he is way ahead of the curve!
Agreed. He’s pretty **** good so far. Can always improve no different than any other human being in any job.

@RobertsonFieldHouse - saying draw the line at 200 and above in the non con is quaint but not actually doable. Avoid historically terrible programs - sure, but so many of these games turn out better or worse than they were when scheduled. The Little Rock 2-1 looked pretty solid when it was scheduled and then they’ve been a 300 RPI/net team since. I’m confident that Reynolds learned quite a bit that he can pass along on strategy for scheduling that will benefit BU this year and coming years.

Ultimately each year of the 4 Wardle years has been better than the previous year. I see no reason why that shouldn’t be the case again this year.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:11 pm

I agree and disagree a little bit. . .Bradley was the bigger anchor that schools were avoiding scheduling. On your point on Little Rock. . .coaches know the score on teams. Everyone in the business knew Chris Beard was a one-year wonder there.

A common game some coaches play is scheduling an NCAA team that just graduated 6 key players. They do that knowing full well that team is not going to be the same team or same quality.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:37 pm

mexicoBUfan wrote:
Great points.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:01 pm

mexicoBUfan wrote:
If Coach Wardle ever needs a new agent/PR person I know EXACTLY who he should hire :)
~Thomas Jefferson

mexicoBUfan

Post by mexicoBUfan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:27 pm

I would take that job any time Tribes 🤗!

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:08 pm

New red shoes....!!!
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

chitown fanatic

Post by chitown fanatic » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:50 pm

1) Stop being such a red-**** and giving the university a black eye cuz someone bruised your ego. You're a D-1 head coach and should know when you start 0-5 in a weak MVC, theres gonna be some questions...and you got off pretty easy from the media during that time too.
2) Know your talent. To not have Lundy starting from game 1 this season over Hodgson is still beyond any reasonable explanation other than YOU misevaluated the talent on your roster.
3) More an extension of 2....establish your rotation earlier in the season. It shouldn't take 20 games to figure who your first 7 guys are.
Tornadouche is a tool

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:26 pm

chitown fanatic wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:50 pm
1) Stop being such a red-**** and giving the university a black eye cuz someone bruised your ego. You're a D-1 head coach and should know when you start 0-5 in a weak MVC, theres gonna be some questions...and you got off pretty easy from the media during that time too.
2) Know your talent. To not have Lundy starting from game 1 this season over Hodgson is still beyond any reasonable explanation other than YOU misevaluated the talent on your roster.
3) More an extension of 2....establish your rotation earlier in the season. It shouldn't take 20 games to figure who your first 7 guys are.
Better watch it, you're going to have someone question your loyalty! ;)
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

mexicoBUfan

Post by mexicoBUfan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:34 am

Wrong board!