Bradley's depth 19/20 season

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
HoustonBrave
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by HoustonBrave » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:42 am

With the extent of Mast's injury unknown, and, the possibility of other future injuries during next season, will we be having enough team depth, or would it be wise to recruit another player? What position are we thinnest at?

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Bradley's depth 19/20 season

Post by squirrel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:07 pm

I'd say were probably thinnest at the 2/3 spots, but primarily because we have guys that aren't really pigeon-holed into those positions. If Kingsby is the 1, then Brown is the 2. But if something happens to either one, you have Brown that can play the 1 and Kennell the 2, or hopefully one of the new players can go.

But otherwise, you are 2 deep at every other position, IMO.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:13 pm

Our depth might be just fine even if Mast isn't available for a period of time, but we may not have the depth to withstand many injuries.

DB
Kingsby
Kennell
Childs
Bar

Boya
Henry
Gabriel

Mast?

Nolan
McAdoo

The 8 guys in bold I think are rotation guys. How many minutes left are there? Who loses minutes if Mast is a healthy rotation player? Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. The only thing that can stop us is health IMO.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:28 pm

HoustonBrave wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:42 am
With the extent of Mast's injury unknown, and, the possibility of other future injuries during next season, will we be having enough team depth, or would it be wise to recruit another player? What position are we thinnest at?
I don’t see how a walk on at this point changes much.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:01 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:13 pm
Our depth might be just fine even if Mast isn't available for a period of time, but we may not have the depth to withstand many injuries.

DB
Kingsby
Kennell
Childs
Bar

Boya
Henry
Gabriel

Mast?

Nolan
McAdoo

The 8 guys in bold I think are rotation guys. How many minutes left are there? Who loses minutes if Mast is a healthy rotation player? Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. The only thing that can stop us is health IMO.
I agree but do you start Henry over Nate so Nate can provide offense for the second team? We also all know if not if you start but if you're on the floor when it matters in the 2nd half. Besides DB he'll see as much minutes as any of the other top 5 guys. If Kingsby plays as many minutes as DB then we're in great shape. Also, come March the bench is shorten. Will we really be playing for an at large bid or needing to win it all in St. Louis once again?
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:03 pm

A lot of coaches have to deal with these kinds of issues -- injuries, suspensions, last minute transfers out... Wardle and staff have a full summer and preseason to craft a plan that will be successful with the hand they've been dealt. I think a known injury now is much easier to plan and deal with than an injury during the season. Plus, Mast is a freshman and would likely only contribute on a complimentary basis. Regardless of what happens with Mast I think we'll be fine. The question is do we have enough horses to compete with MSU and one or two others in the Valley?
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:16 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:03 pm
A lot of coaches have to deal with these kinds of issues -- injuries, suspensions, last minute transfers out... Wardle and staff have a full summer and preseason to craft a plan that will be successful with the hand they've been dealt. I think a known injury now is much easier to plan and deal with than an injury during the season. Plus, Mast is a freshman and would likely only contribute on a complimentary basis. Regardless of what happens with Mast I think we'll be fine. The question is do we have enough horses to compete with MSU and one or two others in the Valley?
Exactly. With 2 all-conference players returning as well as the league's top 6th man, I think the answer is yes.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

mexicoBUfan
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by mexicoBUfan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:00 pm

You have the following:

Brown
Childs
Kingsby
Bar
Gabriel

Kennell
Henry
Boya

Houpt

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:31 pm

mexicoBUfan wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:00 pm
You have the following:

Brown
Childs
Kingsby
Bar
Gabriel

Kennell
Henry
Boya

Houpt
So you believe Gabriel is that good! I hope you're right. I like Henry's game and if he can develop a better shot over the summer then I'd have expected him to start.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

mexicoBUfan

Post by mexicoBUfan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Interesting enough is that Henry is now one of my favorite BU players. He always makes good things happen when he is on the floor.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:50 pm

mexicoBUfan wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:29 pm
Interesting enough is that Henry is now one of my favorite BU players. He always makes good things happen when he is on the floor.
He fills up a stat sheet.

HoustonBrave
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by HoustonBrave » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:38 am

It is not uncommon to have 3 injuries at any given time during the critical MVC season. When that possibility is added to the ineligibility of 2 transfers players as well as key player(s) getting into in foul trouble, it becomes a concern that will surely cost us games, especially against quality opponents. Without depth, it will be hard to keep up with elite competition. I just hope we get lucky in terms of injuries, especially because of the ineligibility of our 2 transfer players. Otherwise, it could be a disappointing season. Hoping the coaching staff will be proactive in addressing the depth issue from now, if at all possible.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:54 am

HoustonBrave wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:38 am
It is not uncommon to have 3 injuries at any given time during the critical MVC season. When that possibility is added to the ineligibility of 2 transfers players as well as key player(s) getting into in foul trouble, it becomes a concern that will surely cost us games, especially against quality opponents. Without depth, it will be hard to keep up with elite competition. I just hope we get lucky in terms of injuries, especially because of the ineligibility of our 2 transfer players. Otherwise, it could be a disappointing season. Hoping the coaching staff will be proactive in addressing the depth issue from now, if at all possible.
I wouldn't count on continuing to be lucky with regards to injuries. At the key scoring positions we may be a little thin, and that is a concern. But we've actually been incredibly fortunate with regards to injuries. . .I would argue one of the main reasons we reached the finish line the way we did last year was because we stayed healthy. We did have the Boya injury, and it's hard to put a number on the negative impact that had.

At the same time, though, we do have reasonable depth across the board with a lot of interchangeable parts. If you want to compete for championships, you have to be able to withstand injuries.

Those two guys sitting out bring really good experience next year, the year after you lose 3 seniors. So while it may not be ideal to have scholarship guys unavailable in the near-term, you also have to continue to build for the future.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

HoustonBrave
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by HoustonBrave » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:33 am

Boya was not a player of key impact last year (and doubt that he will be a key player this coming season). So his injury did not hurt us last year. What is scary is having more than one injury to "key players" this coming season. I agree with you that we have to build for the future because we will be losing 3 seniors next year. All I am saying is that let us hope that we remain lucky in terms of remaining healthy in 19/20 season. I am sure that our excellent coaching staff are on top of this issue. But, having said that, the depth issue is always a concern to any team wanting to achieve better results in the next season, especially since the timing, frequency and impact of injuries are unpredictable.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:18 pm

Every year someone who wasn't a contributor the year before, or wasn't on the roster before, steps up and becomes a key player. Sometimes it's someone who didn't even contribute the 1st half of the year, but there's always a new contributor that wasn't there the year before. We have to assume Kingsby is an immediate starter, so I am excluding him from the candidate list. I think Boya is as good of a candidate as anyone to be that guy. Gabriel, Ville I think are also candidates, possibly Mast if he's healthy.

bufan39
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by bufan39 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:40 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:18 pm
Every year someone who wasn't a contributor the year before, or wasn't on the roster before, steps up and becomes a key player. Sometimes it's someone who didn't even contribute the 1st half of the year, but there's always a new contributor that wasn't there the year before. We have to assume Kingsby is an immediate starter, so I am excluding him from the candidate list. I think Boya is as good of a candidate as anyone to be that guy. Gabriel, Ville I think are also candidates, possibly Mast if he's healthy.
This is a really good evaluation. Assuming that Kingsby can step right in to a starting role, there is no reason why someone like a Boya, Gabriel, Ville, etc. won't take on a bigger role that you'd expect. Henry became that guy especially as the season went on last year.
~Compete. Defend. Rebound.~

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:58 pm

I believe we have a roster of players that all are capable of contributing in different ways. No doubt a healthy Mast would be a plus next season but if we end up being limited to ten I still see a very good mix of players that are capable of having a great season. I think everybody is going to be very happy with the team we will put on the floor.

spoon
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by spoon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:54 pm

Kind of fun to see new faces on campus. You can clearly see Kingsby, Nolan, McAdoo, Gabriel, Thomas, and I think JaMir Price is in the first photo. Looks like Lundy is still around too helping with the camp. Just missing the Euros.

Stephan Gabriel looks pretty big.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:01 pm

spoon wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:54 pm

Kind of fun to see new faces on campus. You can clearly see Kingsby, Nolan, McAdoo, Gabriel, Thomas, and I think JaMir Price is in the first photo. Looks like Lundy is still around too helping with the camp. Just missing the Euros.

Stephan Gabriel looks pretty big.
Saw them next to each other, Gabriel is about the same size as Childs. If he can play...look out...

spoon
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by spoon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:35 pm

Dave just posted a good article with some more information. JaMir Price heading to prep school in Atlanta but taking classes this summer at BU. Sounds like. I thing has been decided with Mast yet and he’s still on track to be here in August. Also have a new walk-on, Riley Burger from Minnetonka, MN.

http://pjstar.com/sports/20190619/bradl ... igibility‬