Realignment Uh-Oh

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
BUFanatic
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: Realignment Uh-Oh

Post by BUFanatic » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:30 pm

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:15 pm
Gonzaga's AD says the school is staying in the WCC:

Sounds like CAT to Peoria and Wichita circa 2016.
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:06 am

SFP wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:27 pm
BradleyBrave wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:51 pm
##### Belmont. They had their chance. When their coach leaves they’ll barely be D1. No thanks. Go big or go home.
What would be big besides SLU? Denver is too far west. I'm not a fan of any schools left in KS. Omaha, SD schools? There really is not much out there that would jump over to the MVC that I believe would be BIG. Again "would jump over." The Ohio schools that could make basketball sense that we may be able to pull over on that front have football. Indiana is covered. Sorry KY to me just does not make sense.
Northern Kentucky makes more sense than Murray St because NKU gets you the Cincy/Louisville market vs Murray, KY. Wright St would be the top choice from Ohio and they don’t have football. Neither does Dayton but we all know that ain’t happening. NKU and Wright St are my realistic wish list to get to 12 teams, IF the Valley expands. The only way I would want to go to 14 is if SLU got out of their own way and wanted to jump on board, which I know isn’t happening.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon May 28, 2018 8:56 am

How’s that Valley expansion going?
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:34 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:56 am
How’s that Valley expansion going?
Extensive review is still under way, and by extensive I mean well into the next decade.
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

Lake Camelot
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Lake Camelot » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:28 pm

I still want Belmont and Murray State. But Northern Kentucky is growing on me.

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:44 pm

Jerry Palm has UNCG & Furman in. 3 bid SoCon. MVC absolutely can be a 2-bid league here and there if it plays its cards right.

Murray State + Belmont
or
Murray State + Northern Kentucky

Either is great. Belmont likely declines but NKU has been publicly feuding with the Horizon the past month. They’re ripe for the picking.

C’mon MVC office & presidents, show some vision and ambition. Now’s the time to strike.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:52 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:44 pm
Jerry Palm has UNCG & Furman in. 3 bid SoCon. MVC absolutely can be a 2-bid league here and there if it plays its cards right.

Murray State + Belmont
or

Either is great. Belmont likely declines but NKU has been publicly feuding with the Horizon the past month. They’re ripe for the picking.

C’mon MVC office & presidents, show some vision and ambition. Now’s the time to strike.
While I don't disagree that it would be nice to add two of those teams, it's certainly not a necessity for the Valley to be a two or more bid league. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Loyola, UNI, MSU or someone else joins Bradley in the Dance next year.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:11 pm

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:44 pm

Murray State + Belmont
or

Honestly, since the presidents are VERY anti Murray St (which digging deeper outside of Men’s Hoops I cant say I blame them) I wouldn’t kind poaching NKU and Wright St from the Horizon. They already have a pretty good rivalry that they would bring to our league, they are natural travel partners, both are in larger markets(Louisville/Cincy and Dayton), Wright St is somewhat of a name in the mid major circles, both arenas seat over 8,000 and are more modern and look very nice, keeps public/private balance(Wright St = Public, Northern Kentucky = Private), it’s not a TERRIBLE bus trip for non revenue sports(UNI is right at 8 hours and Missouri St is just a touch over that and they are the 2 farthest out schools). Question is does the league want to expand and do they want to expand that direction.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 pm

Um, NKU is a public school. I think we'd need to find a private school as their dance partner. I think Detroit is the only private left in the Horizon.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:55 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 pm
Um, NKU is a public school. I think we'd need to find a private school as their dance partner. I think Detroit is the only private left in the Horizon.
Would help if I could read. :oops: I read “private school education...” didn’t read the fraction of the cost part
-Tommy Lasorda

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:48 pm

Murray State, Northern Kentucky, and Wright State are still the 3 best options of the viable and realistic variety.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:27 am

So we're Big East-bound now, right?
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:31 am

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:48 pm
Murray State, Northern Kentucky, and Wright State are still the 3 best options of the viable and realistic variety.
If Murray State couldn't get traction last time around, I can't see them getting anything the next time either. I think it has 0 to do with basketball obviously, and everything to do with location and the school itself. It is always going to be hard to get teams into Murray, Kentucky.

I personally like Northern Kentucky the best. Cincinnati metro area, up and coming school, new-ish on campus arena, and an obvious commitment to their premier program.
Last edited by JMM28 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:32 am

JMM28 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:31 am
It is always going to be hard to get teams into Murray, Kentucky.
And even harder to get university presidents!

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:06 pm

Wichita President John Bardo has died, aged 70, of a lung disease.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

tombs14
All World
All World

Post by tombs14 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:00 pm

Murray State looking like a steak, and not a slider these days.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:08 pm

tombs14 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:00 pm
Valpo is an embarrassment.

BUFanatic
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by BUFanatic » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:15 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:08 pm
tombs14 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:00 pm
Valpo is an embarrassment.
I demand a re-do!
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:18 pm

Ok, I’ll forgive not adding Murray last year solely because selfishly I got to watch BU live in the NCAA Tournament.

But if they are not added this year anyone who played a hand in it should lose their job and find a
new industry.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:24 pm

It seems clear at this point that non-basketball reasons are standing in the way of Murray St, IMO. Something about not thinking that university fits the academic profile, and/or doesn't help with enrollment demographics?
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:24 pm

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:18 pm
Ok, I’ll forgive not adding Murray last year solely because selfishly I got to watch BU live in the NCAA Tournament.

But if they are not added this year anyone who played a hand in it should lose their job and find a
new industry.
I don't think there are any talks in the works about adding more teams immediately.

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:41 pm

Why would the Valley do something as proactive as consider growing? Reactive is in their DNA.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:34 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:24 pm
It seems clear at this point that non-basketball reasons are standing in the way of Murray St, IMO. Something about not thinking that university fits the academic profile, and/or doesn't help with enrollment demographics?
Correct.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

tombs14
All World
All World

Post by tombs14 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:09 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:34 pm
TheAsianSensation wrote:
Correct.
But to that regard, isn't communicating and maintaining that reasoning becoming more ignorant and presumptuous?

Ie the thought of: "Being associated to an entity of lesser academic prowess will dilute the value of our current institutions"

Even with the recent issues at PSU and MSU, the B1G as a whole is still holding onto a great academic and athletic reputation. In my opinion, the reputation of those individual entities are not casting a shadow on the associated conference as a whole.

With regards to enrollement demographics, you already have schools like SIU, ISUb, and MSU on 1 end demographically, while also having Valpo and Loyola on another end. It's not a collection of homogeneous schools whatsoever, so why start dictating now?

Why would adding a school like Murray State hurt the bodies affiliated with the MVC, academically?

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:13 pm

tombs14 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:09 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:34 pm
TheAsianSensation wrote:
Correct.
But to that regard, isn't communicating and maintaining that reasoning becoming more ignorant and presumptuous?

Ie the thought of: "Being associated to an entity of lesser academic prowess will dilute the value of our current institutions"

Even with the recent issues at PSU and MSU, the B1G as a whole is still holding onto a great academic and athletic reputation. In my opinion, the reputation of those individual entities are not casting a shadow on the associated conference as a whole.

Why would adding a school like Murray State hurt the bodies affiliated with the MVC, academically?
So what some are saying is that WSU was a strong academic place along with a hotbed of recruiting BU students? I'm not going to even going to talk about some of the schools in the conference which I do not put as top shelf institution.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."