2019 BU recruiting

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
User avatar
SFP
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3454
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:48 am

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by SFP » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:52 pm

On Stip, I was shocked that the kid did not want to play college hoops. He could have really helped us this year. What I would have done to have that ability.

On how we verbalize our thoughts for consumption is up to each individual. Usually the input comes from your own experiences I've learned. I go on rants myself and am far from perfect (my better half will confirm on that point). I'm not about protecting these players from the real world, but it would be nice that we find kindness in everything we contemplate on. I was not upset and needed no apologies. Before writing a rant about an individual you should sit back and ask yourself how you'd feel if someone wrote that they should fire you, in public. There's much better ways to get your thought out there then pouring negative thoughts upon a young person. We rarely know these young men and women that we praise one time and tear down the next.

"The secret to finding the deeper level in the other is finding the deeper level in yourself. Without finding it in yourself, you cannot see it in the other." -Eckhart Tolle
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

User avatar
pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4853
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:15 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by pndbaseball12 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:06 pm

RobertsonFieldHouse7 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:57 pm
And fwiw, I still think we're all really saying the same thing -- even though the "no one would/should pull a scholarship" faction can't quite come to terms with it.
I think what most in that camp are saying is you handle it differently for a Freshman or soph or even a jr vs. a senior. The problem therein lies with the coaching staff for not opening the scholarship earlier in said player's career.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

real fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6297
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by real fan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:52 pm

My opinion is you have to do what is best for the team. Players want to win.

User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 30332
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by squirrel » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:41 pm

real fan wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:52 pm
My opinion is you have to do what is best for the team. Players want to win.
And coaches don't? :scratch
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

quince
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:28 am

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by quince » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:31 pm

SFP wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:52 pm
Before writing a rant about an individual you should sit back and ask yourself how you'd feel if someone wrote that they should fire you, in public. There's much better ways to get your thought out there then pouring negative thoughts upon a young person. We rarely know these young men and women that we praise one time and tear down the next.
I’ll admit what I wrote about Jayden was a bit rough. Maybe too rough, maybe not. His play has been a huge disappointment. In fact I would say his play, coupled with Wardle’s seeming inability to evaluate a player that has been here for multiple years has jeopardized, if not tanked, what should have been a highly successful season.

With all that being said, I find it somewhat interesting that this is what you picked up on, and not some of the awful things written about our players in pretty much all of the game threads. I get ranting, losing tempers, and all of that. Have you ever called anyone out for “pouring out negative thoughts on a young person” other than me? I mean, my goodness, DB racked up 29 points in a victory, and reading the game thread, you would think he was trying to throw the game.

Again, you guys can’t have it both ways. As much as you want to. If it’s wrong for me to express an opinion that JH needs to go elsewhere, the same people can’t rip him in game threads. Although he isn’t getting tick anymore, so that’s a moot point I guess.
"Romo is a great color commentator and anyone who says otherwise is just foolish."
- Bluejaygrad03

“You forget there are mods on here who could permaban you if they so chose(sic) and it would be solely their decision.”
- Bluejaygrad03

real fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6297
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by real fan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:35 pm

squirrel wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:41 pm
real fan wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:52 pm
My opinion is you have to do what is best for the team. Players want to win.
And coaches don't? :scratch
Coaches do which is why they have to make tough choices in bringing in better talent while finding other places for non contributors. I know it is not easy to talk players into leaving because they are good persons yet they get paid big money to win .

real fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6297
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by real fan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:40 pm

quince wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:31 pm
SFP wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:52 pm
Before writing a rant about an individual you should sit back and ask yourself how you'd feel if someone wrote that they should fire you, in public. There's much better ways to get your thought out there then pouring negative thoughts upon a young person. We rarely know these young men and women that we praise one time and tear down the next.
I’ll admit what I wrote about Jayden was a bit rough. Maybe too rough, maybe not. His play has been a huge disappointment. In fact I would say his play, coupled with Wardle’s seeming inability to evaluate a player that has been here for multiple years has jeopardized, if not tanked, what should have been a highly successful season.

With all that being said, I find it somewhat interesting that this is what you picked up on, and not some of the awful things written about our players in pretty much all of the game threads. I get ranting, losing tempers, and all of that. Have you ever called anyone out for “pouring out negative thoughts on a young person” other than me? I mean, my goodness, DB racked up 29 points in a victory, and reading the game thread, you would think he was trying to throw the game.

Again, you guys can’t have it both ways. As much as you want to. If it’s wrong for me to express an opinion that JH needs to go elsewhere, the same people can’t rip him in game threads. Although he isn’t getting tick anymore, so that’s a moot point I guess.
You are entitled to your opinion and this is a message board and players I would hope do not read these boards just because they become way to personal. I also am sure that because they have played sports for so long that they have heard a lot worse things from their coaches about their overall performances.

User avatar
RobertsonFieldHouse7
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:19 pm

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by RobertsonFieldHouse7 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Are we seriously worried about players reading and being offended by posts here, there, or anywhere?

The amount of trash-talking, smack-talking, your mother talking, get that shizzle out of here talking in the lockerroom, on the court, on the bus, in warmups, in the good-game line after the game far exceeds anything anyone here could dish out.

That said, it really bums me out to see posters refer to kids, personally, as "garbage." Their game might be garbage, but they aren't.

User avatar
SFP
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3454
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:48 am

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by SFP » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:59 pm

quince wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:31 pm
SFP wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:52 pm
Before writing a rant about an individual you should sit back and ask yourself how you'd feel if someone wrote that they should fire you, in public. There's much better ways to get your thought out there then pouring negative thoughts upon a young person. We rarely know these young men and women that we praise one time and tear down the next.
I’ll admit what I wrote about Jayden was a bit rough. Maybe too rough, maybe not. His play has been a huge disappointment. In fact I would say his play, coupled with Wardle’s seeming inability to evaluate a player that has been here for multiple years has jeopardized, if not tanked, what should have been a highly successful season.

With all that being said, I find it somewhat interesting that this is what you picked up on, and not some of the awful things written about our players in pretty much all of the game threads. I get ranting, losing tempers, and all of that. Have you ever called anyone out for “pouring out negative thoughts on a young person” other than me? I mean, my goodness, DB racked up 29 points in a victory, and reading the game thread, you would think he was trying to throw the game.

Again, you guys can’t have it both ways. As much as you want to. If it’s wrong for me to express an opinion that JH needs to go elsewhere, the same people can’t rip him in game threads. Although he isn’t getting tick anymore, so that’s a moot point I guess.
Guilty as charged! I'm sure I have and I have absolutely have gone after the coaching staff. That does not make it right. You are though a bit thinned skinned for someone that loves to dish it out. :lol:
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

User avatar
shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4555
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:03 pm

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by shaunguth » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:01 pm

quince wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:46 am
squirrel wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 am
Braves4Life wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:54 am


Such a great tagline for today's world. I might need to steal that so I can continue to go through life without ever having to worry about every word that comes out of my mouth. :lol:
Ah, yes the non-apology apology. Any apology that starts with:

"I'd like to apologize" or

"If anyone was offended or upset by my comments"

Are not apologies. Both are mocking, and belittle the other individual.

Why? Well the first is obvious..."like to"? What's stopping you?

The latter is a little more complex, but basically you're implying that no one should be upset, and you really don't believe they are, so here is a sarcastic apology for someone who is probably not really upset to begin with. It puts all the responsibility for the apology on the other person.

Both instances are effectively just doing this: :nana
My goodness.

It’s kinda like I’ve been told before. If you don’t like what I have to say, ignore it. Better yet don’t respond to it.
Hmmmm.....interesting.
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

User avatar
shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4555
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:03 pm

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by shaunguth » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:09 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:21 pm
Bradley should not ever force an athlete to leave unless there's a negative scholastic or disciplinary reason for it. Period.
Welcome to mediocrity.
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

User avatar
shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4555
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:03 pm

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by shaunguth » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:12 pm

quince wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:19 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:10 pm
quince wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:08 pm
So, the question is what do we want to be? I think we should do whatever is necessary to win basketball games. I don’t think that includes keeping guys on scholarship that can’t play.

Jayden has had every opportunity (more opportunity than most players would have had) to get the job done. He has not developed the way he should have. Maybe the coaches didn’t put him in the best position to succeed, but I don’t care. He’s not getting it done and he’s using up a scholarship.

We gave Pittman a red shirt year to get his crap together, and that hasn’t exactly paid off either.

So again, what do we want to be? Do we want a bunch of Milos type guys here that aren’t contributing? I mean, true bench players need to at least push the starters to get better. Are they doing that? Because I don’t really believe the narrative that Pittman was ever our best player in practice, or whatever that was. And I doubt that Jayden is pushing anyone either.

I want the guys that aren’t playing to be walkons or underclassmen that aren’t quite ready, but are working toward it. I don’t want those guys to be seniors that failed.
No one is talking about what they want. We want every player on the roster to be awesome.

What I’m talking about is how these situations go down.
Ok. I get that at the end of the year, heart to heart talks happen and the discussions are like “well, Jayden, if you stay with us, you will get little if any playing time, but we certainly don’t want to take away your scholarship. But you should go somewhere else if you want to play.”

And if you’re like Milos, you stay and use up that scholarship.

If that’s how it works, fine. But if that happens, people can’t have it both ways. They can’t be proud of how Bradley handles these things, then rip them at the same time. It doesn’t work.
Right, or complain about being stuck in mediocrity for as long as we have!
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

User avatar
shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4555
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:03 pm

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by shaunguth » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:13 pm

quince wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:37 pm
I mean, here’s the deal. On this board, when this team is performing poorly, it’s open season on these players. Go back and look at some of these game threads, especially at the beginning of the conference season.

Now, I make one comment stating an opinion that Jayden should go, and it’s OMG, we can’t do that!!!

What do you guys want? I really don’t know.

And now, I’m just waiting on freaking shaunguth to show up and say “what does any of this have to do with 2019 recruiting?”
Well....when people decide it's necessary to post "reminders" that include staying on topic..... :?
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

User avatar
shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4555
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:03 pm

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by shaunguth » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:16 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:11 pm
real fan wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:43 pm
quince wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:37 pm
I mean, here’s the deal. On this board, when this team is performing poorly, it’s open season on these players. Go back and look at some of these game threads, especially at the beginning of the conference season.

Now, I make one comment stating an opinion that Jayden should go, and it’s OMG, we can’t do that!!!

What do you guys want? I really don’t know.

And now, I’m just waiting on freaking shaunguth to show up and say “what does any of this have to do with 2019 recruiting?”
I agree with you, if you are not contributing go somewhere else where you have a better chance at helping a new team. I want the best basketball players the staff can get in order for us to compete for championships.
Hey guys, I don't have a problem with anyone stating their opinion... even if it's wrong. ;) :lol:

I don't have any problem with anyone wanting a non-producing player to leave.

I don't have a problem with anyone saying a player should sit because he's under performing or hurting the team (Hodgson/Pittman).

I don't have a problem with a coaching staff letting a player know that he's not going to see the floor the following year and encouraging that player to look elsewhere.

I don't have a problem with Bradley or the coaching staff helping "place" a player at a new school.

What I do have a problem with is stating that a player (who may want to stay) should have his scholarship yanked by the school; I only favor yanking a scholarship for attitude/poor academics/disciplinary reasons. A high character, high academics player shouldn't have to pay by losing his chance at an education simply because an extremely well-paid coach and staff "made a recruiting mistake". Don't make recruiting mistakes! Otherwise, there's potentially a (high) price to pay for up to four years if a player chooses to stay at Bradley.
Where has it been stated, or better yet proven, these guys lose their "chance at an education"? Doesn't everyone have a chance at an education, especially if they already have three years under their belt?
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

User avatar
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 18564
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:37 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:34 am

shaunguth wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:09 pm
Braves4Life wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:21 pm
Bradley should not ever force an athlete to leave unless there's a negative scholastic or disciplinary reason for it. Period.
Welcome to mediocrity.
My thoughts exactly.

People want the program to get better, but they dont want them to have to do the things needed done to get the program on better footing. Seems most curious.

The real issue in play here --- compounding a recruiting miss by keeping a guy for 3 years instead of cutting bait much sooner. Guys like Jerome Robinson dont happen a whole lot, so that is an outlier, just in case someone wants to mention him.

Now if there are guys on the end of the bench that barely ever play, but are capable, thats great, but you cant have 4 or 5 of them.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5009
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by deejay » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:26 am

Pittman will graduate this year. Is that scholarship available or do we really plan to offer him that spot next year, heaven forbid?!
go cubs go!

User avatar
CHUCKYT'S
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by CHUCKYT'S » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:11 am

deejay wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:26 am
Pittman will graduate this year. Is that scholarship available or do we really plan to offer him that spot next year, heaven forbid?!
The other night, after the ISU game I believe, Wardle said it was a big win for the Seniors and for Pittman since he is graduating this year. I'm not sure if that means that this is Pittman's last year or not.... but if you read between the lines on that statement it sounds like he will be gone.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5009
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by deejay » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:14 am

And that is where I heard it. If he is honored Tuesday night, he will be gone. Of course Sam Singh did come back for his 6th year!
go cubs go!

User avatar
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 18564
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:37 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:00 pm

This is it.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 30332
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by squirrel » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:35 pm

In spite of Wardle's weird subbing patterns at times, one pattern is undeniable, come mid-February if the guy doesn't ever take the warm-ups off, it's not too hard to read between the lines there.

Even Brummett was getting spots last night. Granted that was in part due to foul trouble with the guards. But Pitt and Hodgson have both essentially disappeared. Hodgson has only played meaningful minutes in one game (home vs. Missouri State) since Christmas, with 10 DNPs. Pittman only played meaningful minutes (and started) the UNI game in the league opener during the same stretch, and 10 DNPs and 2 appearances with 2 or fewer minutes.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

real fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6297
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by real fan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:01 pm

squirrel wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:35 pm
In spite of Wardle's weird subbing patterns at times, one pattern is undeniable, come mid-February if the guy doesn't ever take the warm-ups off, it's not too hard to read between the lines there.

Even Brummett was getting spots last night. Granted that was in part due to foul trouble with the guards. But Pitt and Hodgson have both essentially disappeared. Hodgson has only played meaningful minutes in one game (home vs. Missouri State) since Christmas, with 10 DNPs. Pittman only played meaningful minutes (and started) the UNI game in the league opener during the same stretch, and 10 DNPs and 2 appearances with 2 or fewer minutes.
Has it taken this long for you to figure that out :shock:

User avatar
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8667
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm
Location: The Gate City
Contact:

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by Braves4Life » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:07 pm

real fan wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:01 pm
squirrel wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:35 pm
In spite of Wardle's weird subbing patterns at times, one pattern is undeniable, come mid-February if the guy doesn't ever take the warm-ups off, it's not too hard to read between the lines there.

Even Brummett was getting spots last night. Granted that was in part due to foul trouble with the guards. But Pitt and Hodgson have both essentially disappeared. Hodgson has only played meaningful minutes in one game (home vs. Missouri State) since Christmas, with 10 DNPs. Pittman only played meaningful minutes (and started) the UNI game in the league opener during the same stretch, and 10 DNPs and 2 appearances with 2 or fewer minutes.
Has it taken this long for you to figure that out :shock:
Image
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

Image

I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. If you were offended by my comment, please accept my apology. -- quince

User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 30332
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by squirrel » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:43 pm

real fan wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:01 pm

Has it taken this long for you to figure that out :shock:
Nope. Noticed it year 1. Just helping others out...I mean others were having this discussion earlier in the thread. Hence my comment. Move along.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

User avatar
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 18564
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:37 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: 2019 BU recruiting

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:01 pm

squirrel wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:43 pm
real fan wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:01 pm

Has it taken this long for you to figure that out :shock:
Nope. Noticed it year 1. Just helping others out...I mean others were having this discussion earlier in the thread. Hence my comment. Move along.
Ill be much more interested if the players figure it out.

Les at times tried to do that too, but some didnt get it.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests