Am I injured? (Leg problem, need some enlightenment)

For the discussion of fitness; workout routines, weight loss and all things related to a healthy lifestyle
SHFFLKnee

Am I injured? (Leg problem, need some enlightenment)

Post by SHFFLKnee »

Ok, so last I left off, I had finished the Steamboat 15K and my left hip hurt bad enough to where it was rather difficult to run. I figure taking a week or two off and just relaxing would do the trick and it eventually did. I started back up oh...3 weeks or so ago and started back up at 15 mins the first day, no pain, 20 mins the next, still no pain, and then just went to 30 and still had no problem. I just figured I would advance by 5 minutes every week because it was going rather smooth and I wasn't exhausted at all plus no pain was really coming up that I couldn't deal with(I've always seemed to have SOME kind of quadriceps tightness since my Junior year...) Anyways, I get to 35 minutes about...a week and a half ago I'd say? And I figured I'd throw in a hill into one of my runs, it wasn't THAT big, maybe a couple hundred meters? Pretty much the next day or maybe it was the one after that I felt a little uneasiness in more of my lower leg such as the calves and it proved a little difficult to run, so I figured I'd take the weekend off because I suppose I was probably running too many days too soon. Anyways, once Monday came around(5 days ago) I started running again, and well, Monday went by rather smoothly compared to the last time I had ran. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, however, proved to be painful days. I had soreness in my hips which went away by Thursday but I noticed I definitely had a problem with my calves and this other area which I will describe as best as I can. Assume you're looking down at your right leg, and then there's your shin bone, and to the right of it is the outside of your leg. Now, go down the shin bone more towards the achilles and go maybe 2 inches up from the achilles, then go about an inch to the right(towards the outside of the leg), and that muscle seems to be providing some trouble. From what I've gathered, it's the tibialis anterior? Well anyways, now when I run(which I've decided it to be best and not run this weekend, just ice and take Ibuprofen) it hurts quite commonly when my feet collide with the ground and it's causing me to limp quite often as well. I guess you could say it sends a type of "shock" throughout the muscle that I described and my calves seem to be really sore when I'm done running.

Anybody able to shed some light on me on how to remedy this? I have a 5K to run on the 15th in August that I really want to participate in. My only thoughts is to keep taking ice and moderate amounts of Ibuprofen, and then maybe just ride a bicycle for the next week or two and keep up with my core & abs routines. Is there any kind of supplements or certain types of food I should try focusing on eating more? The reason I ask this is because I've had like...3 stress fractures and enough muscle problems to where I can't count with my fingers since my Junior year and I just graduated this year. I'm guessing something is wrong with how I'm eating, I do realize I have to reduce the amount of sugar I'm taking in because it has been an awful lot as of recently...THANK YOU a ton if you can help me out, I'm getting really tired of all these injuries and I'd enjoy being able to run without hurting. It's the only sport I'm coordinated enough to do xD.