Mid Illini rank

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
1 yard short
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Mid Illini rank

Post by 1 yard short »

Let’s get it going. Next week we start in Washington with TOC

How do you see the Mid Illini conference this year?
Who will end season number 1? Metamora?
Who will be the sleeper team? Limestone?
Who has the most rebuilding? Washington?
Who needs new coaching?
Who has that big D1 recruit?
Who has the super sophomore or phenomenal freshman?
Thoughts
Give them all a trophy for their effort. :lol:

Chef Curry
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Re: Mid Illini rank

Post by Chef Curry »

If Metamora has the young Kizer kid I have to pick them based off experience + talent. I think Metamora lost the glue-guy post player that always had them pumped, but are bringing enough back with Dietz, Havens, and the lefty (name?) that shoots 3's all day. I know Dehm does a great job developing players so I think they should definitely be the front runners.

Sleeper team- Pekin
Rebuilding- Washington
Coaching- Dunlap
D1 Recruit- Not sure of anyone getting offers in the Mid-Illini other than Dietz and Hall
Super soph/phenomenal freshman- Kizer (Meta??), Ricky Woods (Wash.)

My ranks

Metamora
Morton
Washington
Limestone
Pekin
Dunlap
East Peoria
Canton

oftenrunning52
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by oftenrunning52 »

Chef Curry wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:25 pm

Coaching- Dunlap
They haven't played a game yet and you already believe that Dunlap needs to replace their new coach? Talk about a short leash!
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012-2019 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place and 2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2017 Girls IHSA Cross Country State Champions

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

Andrew Buis was the lefty three-point shooter for Metamora but unless the IHSA granted him a 5th year of eligibility he will not be suiting up for the Redbirds this season.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Reggie wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:54 pm
Andrew Buis was the lefty three-point shooter for Metamora but unless the IHSA granted him a 5th year of eligibility he will not be suiting up for the Redbirds this season.
Well it is the IHSA.
We will not have to fight you. We will so weaken your economy until you will fall like overripe fruit into our hands. The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Khrushchev ‘59

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Chef Curry wrote:

D1 Recruit- Not sure of anyone getting offers in the Mid-Illini other than Dietz and Hall
They have D1 offers? Anything happen during the early signing period?
We will not have to fight you. We will so weaken your economy until you will fall like overripe fruit into our hands. The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Khrushchev ‘59

Oskee
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Oskee »

illini25 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:54 pm
Chef Curry wrote:

Hall committed to Air Force.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Oskee wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:35 pm
illini25 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:54 pm
Chef Curry wrote:

Hall committed to Air Force.
Thank you.

I know a guy on Air Force team. They are unusual for D1 with 18 on roster. They also have an Air Force prep school where some guys spend a year after high school and before the academy.

Chef Curry
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Chef Curry »

I think I heard Dietz got an offer from Stetson but I'm not sure if he has any others. Hall did sign with Air Force.

I only put Dunlap because the of the turnover rate that has been there the past couple years. I didn't even know when they hired their new coach. Seems like every other school has their guy. We'll see, I've always thought they could be a lot better with the talent they have. Pekin would be my next choice because they kind of produce the grind you out/low possession style of play that hasn't worked for them much in recent years. Pekin's staff has a lot of qualified people working for them and I don't really know anyone's background from Dunlap which is why I chose them.

I still think Metamora wins the Mid-Illini with or without the Buis kid, because someone else will more than likely step up as a junior or senior. I think the Kizer kid will shock a few people this year because he does not look like a freshman lol

Let the fun begin!!

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

This might be the year for Metamora depending on how well Hall comes back from his injury. Washington will always be in the mix even though they have a young team. Anyone know anything about Morton? With Limestone, you never know what transfers might have come into the program. But the Rockets have been average the last few years. Dunlap will be starting with a new coach and at this point no one really knows for sure about the team this year. East Peoria and Canton at this point would seem destined for second division. And then there is Pekin. For many decades Pekin had a decent basketball program that had far more winning seasons than not. But in recent times the program has fallen behind many other schools and winning seasons have become much less. The overall talent just isn't there these days nor does the program outside of one or two players have much size. They have 6'7 senior (Patrick Torrey) who started last year and is a decent player. Not much other size with Justin Taphorn (Another Taphorn!) being 6'4 and then a 6'3 player. The rest of the team is 6'1 or less. Max Jones and Adam Cash are decent underclass guards. The team always seems to be perpetually young with maybe just one or two seniors every year and this year is no different- just two seniors.The coach is a hard worker who is a nice guy and hard to not like. And the players play hard for him. But the team plays a boring grind style that produces many low scoring games. Not much fun when you are not winning and the games are boring with scores of 42-33! This years team seems like last years - probably go around .500 in the Mid Illini (7-7) while finishing overall schedule a few games under .500 (13-16). Perhaps one win in the regionals but more likely one and done...hope the team does better than my prediction! :o

Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal »

Just watched Washington play this evening. I really didn’t know what to expect. What I will say is the freshman and sophomores are outstanding. Don’t under estimate them. They will do great this year and have a bright future with the addition of next years freshman.

I have to give it to all the freshman. Playing in the TOC your first game and making it look like your upperclassmen. Great job.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy

LincolnFan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by LincolnFan »

Lincoln defeats Limestone 64 49 tonight

LincolnFan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by LincolnFan »

Limestone over Cahokia tonight

JumpbackJack

Post by JumpbackJack »

East Peoria defeats Canton 55-44 in Thanksgiving tournament. Also counts as a conference game.

LincolnFan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by LincolnFan »

Springfield defeats Limestone last night. Limestone finishes the tourney 1-2.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

At Morton, Central 15 and Morton 15 halftime.,
go cubs go!

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

29-26 Morton end of 3rd.
go cubs go!

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Potters win 49-40.
go cubs go!

cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by cutter752 »

Question for the posters: I no longer subscribe to the PJS for a multitude of reasons. Where can i find (on-line) the mid illini basketball scores, results, records, schedules, etc....IHSA does not list basketball results to my knowledge.....Help!

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Best bet is probably Maxpreps.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

cutter752 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:36 am
Question for the posters: I no longer subscribe to the PJS for a multitude of reasons. Where can i find (on-line) the mid illini basketball scores, results, records, schedules, etc....IHSA does not list basketball results to my knowledge.....Help!
As some of you know, I live in Chicago but visit family in the Peoria area often. I was in town the last two days and left this morning. Before leaving I bought a PJS. I thought I might read about the Pekin-Dunlap boys game last night (rare Thursday night game). Did I miss something? Unless I am wrong (checked a few times) I couldn't find ONE article on the game. There was one line given to player of the day (something like that) about Pekin's player Patrick Torrey (23 points-17 rebounds). Wow, you have two of areas the bigger schools (enrollment wise), one of the bigger towns in the PJS circulation area (Pekin), and you have NO write up of the game? I will apologize in advance if I am wrong....

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

BTW, Don't know how good Dunlap is this year, but Pekin played well at Dunlap last night with a 15 point victory. Team shot ball well. Patrick Torrey (6'7-6'8) center for Pekin was a beast with 23 points and 17 rebounds (8 offensive). He has really improved the last two seasons and might be one of the better big man in the Mid Illini this year. Kudos for the coaches that worked with him and hard work by the lad. Pekin will probably be a .500 type team in the MI this year again, but one thing I do like about this years team is that they can score some points. Twice over seventy and once over sixty in five games. I don't know if they did that for entire season last year. I know defense wins games (so they say) and is important but it's nice to see some offensive outburst this year and not have every game be a dull 37-28 type game... :td

Bballnut

Post by Bballnut »

CIS wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:02 pm
cutter752 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:36 am
As some of you know, I live in Chicago but visit family in the Peoria area often. I was in town the last two days and left this morning. Before leaving I bought a PJS. I thought I might read about the Pekin-Dunlap boys game last night (rare Thursday night game). Did I miss something? Unless I am wrong (checked a few times) I couldn't find ONE article on the game. There was one line given to player of the day (something like that) about Pekin's player Patrick Torrey (23 points-17 rebounds). Wow, you have two of areas the bigger schools (enrollment wise), one of the bigger towns in the PJS circulation area (Pekin), and you have NO write up of the game? I will apologize in advance if I am wrong....
Article? We get scores......sometimes. Too many games,not enough reporters
The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

That is a real shame BB. A little sticker shock today, I paid $2.50 for PJS - mostly for the sports but also to read about some local stuff. I got though the sports section in two minutes! :D The lost of Aaron Fergunson is huge - that young man really did a great job of covering local high schools. Thank goodness for Jim Mattson last night (and other local TV stations). They covered the Pekin-Dunlap game and several girls basketball games. BTW, I was also at a lost when picking up a Pekin Times on Thursday. There was not ONE local sports article- it was all national sports stuff. Todays Pekin Times ( I just glanced through it at store -didn't buy it) had article about tonight's Pekin-Dunlap girls game but did not have the boys game from last night. I have also discovered that if you read the PJS you don't have to read the Pekin Times. The articles for the most part in the PJS show up in the next days Pekin Times edition - including local sports! Its really sad to see what has happened to local newspapers overall...still love the feel of the newspaper.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

CIS wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:04 pm
That is a real shame BB. A little sticker shock today, I paid $2.50 for PJS - mostly for the sports but also to read about some local stuff. I got though the sports section in two minutes! :D The lost of Aaron Fergunson is huge - that young man really did a great job of covering local high schools. Thank goodness for Jim Mattson last night (and other local TV stations). They covered the Pekin-Dunlap game and several girls basketball games. BTW, I was also at a lost when picking up a Pekin Times on Thursday. There was not ONE local sports article- it was all national sports stuff. Todays Pekin Times ( I just glanced through it at store -didn't buy it) had article about tonight's Pekin-Dunlap girls game but did not have the boys game from last night. I have also discovered that if you read the PJS you don't have to read the Pekin Times. The articles for the most part in the PJS show up in the next days Pekin Times edition - including local sports! Its really sad to see what has happened to local newspapers overall...still love the feel of the newspaper.
And they can’t figure out the reason they are losing subscribers daily. This and poor service.
I read the back of the Book, You lose.