Dunlap Varsity Boys Basketball Coach

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
Limestone Class of 1991

Dunlap Varsity Boys Basketball Coach

Post by Limestone Class of 1991 »

I just heard on the sports news that Tony Thomason has resigned as Varsity Boys Basketball Coach at Dunlap Highschool. What is Coach Thomason going to do?

Baseball Junkie
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Re: Dunlap Varsity Boys Basketball Coach

Post by Baseball Junkie »

He also quit his teaching job. Not a good look so far. 14-52 career record there

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

Is Dunlap basketball the merry-go-round job that East Peoria football has been?
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Reggie wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:41 am
No idea but the coach prior to Thomason left due to roster demands by the School board. That school board seems to be such a mess.
Get a shot of rhythm and blues
With just a little rock and roll on the side

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

illini25 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:51 am
Reggie wrote:
No idea but the coach prior to Thomason left due to roster demands by the School board. That school board seems to be such a mess.
Their school board is a mess - from my slightly outsider point of view. Their property tax rate and overcrowding of the schools are key reasons I would never move into that district. (And they border the school district I currently reside in). But again, to each their own.

oftenrunning52
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by oftenrunning52 »

tombs14 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:34 am
illini25 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:51 am
Reggie wrote:
Their school board is a mess - from my slightly outsider point of view. Their property tax rate and overcrowding of the schools are key reasons I would never move into that district. (And they border the school district I currently reside in). But again, to each their own.
The tax rate is actually low compared to most area communities. The value of the property, however, is higher than most area communities. Your overall tax bill ends up higher because of the assessed value of the property and not the rate. Your point is, in the end, a valid one, just not for the reason of the tax rate.

The school board is a complete mess, to put it kindly.

Dunlap Valley will need to be expanded to account for ever increasing student enrollment, but it does sound like much of that will be done through cash on hand and new sales tax money.

I wish I could explain boys basketball. It has struggled to have consistency in talent, athletes, coaching, etc and seems to be in a spiral that is headed in the wrong direction. It will be a huge undertaking for a coach to turn the program around, but it can happen, as evidenced by football's success.
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012-2019 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place and 2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2017 Girls IHSA Cross Country State Champions

Bthereforkids
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Bthereforkids »

I have been following this story for some time. I have also been able to talk to some of the players. This program was going in the right direction for once. My heart once again goes out to the kids. What is good for the kids is the question not what is good for the parent that thinks there child should play more, the school board member that needs to feel in powered or even the administration that is on a selfish movement for there own child.
Kids are the most important thing that God has giving us, the love that we give them for who they are is the most important thing we can give them as parents. Not what we want them to be or what we can tell the neighbors they have done. I have raised 4 children of my own and they are all very successful, but never once did I tell anyone that nor did I feel the need to brag or boast. But my children always knew I loved them and supported them. Neither did I ever be little someone to move my child forward nor have I ever blamed and coach or teacher for the way my child played or grade they received. We are all accountable for who we are.
So with all this said, DUNLAP I feel you had a good coach that was good for the kids. Maybe take a step back and look at why things are happening and who is pushing for these things to happen. I wish coach Thomason the best.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

I thought Thomason would be able to not be influenced by those two. Apparently not. They will never find a person that had a passion for basketball as Tony.
go cubs go!

Bthereforkids
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Bthereforkids »

It wasn't coach Thomason that was influenced by these things. It was the inexperienced administration that was influenced by the those 3 things. I have lived in this mess and seen many things, but only getting worse. After talking to many people that has left Dunlap in the last 2 years the new administration is not in it for the kids.

I agree coach Thomason passion for the game was refreshing to see at dunlap.

Baseball Junkie

Post by Baseball Junkie »

Why is he not actually teaching right now? What made him quit-resign-fired?

Bthereforkids
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Bthereforkids »

Oh he is still teaching this year out. My grandson has him for a teachers and says in is the best teacher he has ever had. My guess...remind you guess...is after talking to many people that he might be thinking why stay where your administration doesn't support you.

JMil684
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by JMil684 »

Will be interesting to see who they hire. I'd have to think it's getting down to it with Spring open gyms already starting for some schools.

Thomason resigned almost to the exact day that Barker resigned. Thomason was announced on 4/20.

Forsythfan

Post by Forsythfan »

Hey Dunlap fans I will let you know where you problem is. Your principle came from our school chased out 2 coaches of which one was there for 20ish years and had a state title. Your principle thinks is is jo 8 basketball and tries to coach from his office. I saw you also lost your athletic director last year too.....he will keep running them off until he gets a puppet for the athletic director and a puppet for the basketball coach. Our basketball program is getting back on track since he left. Good luck with jo basketball.

Bthereforkids
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Bthereforkids »

I thought there was something funny going on with the principal. He would sit in the crowd last year talking crap in front of parents. I thought that was very unprofessional. I also think it is weird that they have hired someone and it is being kept quiet ..........when coach Thomason was hired the community was excited. Really nice write up in the paper and even Jim Mattson had it on the news the night of the hire.
Makes you wonder what is going on. Thanks forsythfan for the info.

oftenrunning52
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by oftenrunning52 »

Glad to see people who have no clue what is going on getting on here to spout off :roll:
I have no idea why Coach Thomason was let go, but I will trust that it was for more than the season record and play on the floor.
The athletic director being let go had nothing to do with the principal.
There has not been a school board meeting since the new coach accepted the job, which explains the lack of an announcement.
Dunlap Eagles

Bthereforkids
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Bthereforkids »

I am really sorry oftenrunning52. I was going off being told by my neighbor that the athletic director told her they had hired a new coach. I thought it was official. I am just really fustraighted with Dunlap. I need to move

Bobby Thigpen
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Bobby Thigpen »

Forsythfan wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:08 pm
Hey Dunlap fans I will let you know where you problem is. Your principle came from our school chased out 2 coaches of which one was there for 20ish years and had a state title. Your principle thinks is is jo 8 basketball and tries to coach from his office. I saw you also lost your athletic director last year too.....he will keep running them off until he gets a puppet for the athletic director and a puppet for the basketball coach. Our basketball program is getting back on track since he left. Good luck with jo basketball.
There is a lot of truth in these comments.

oftenrunning52
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by oftenrunning52 »

"Board members also approved hiring Raymond “Corky” Card to replace Tony Thomason as boys basketball coach."

Card was the head coach at Crystal Lake Prairie Ridge were he had regional and sectional success. He brings head coaching experience to a program that really needs some stability right now. I think Dunlap has a good hire here.

Regarding the comments about the principal, as a coach and teacher at the high school, I have seen nothing close to what has been said on here. I cannot speak to his tenure at other schools, but his tenure at Dunlap has not shown any of this. He is a supporter of the athletics program at the school, something we have needed, and obviously Dunlap has had a pretty good two year run in that department.
Dunlap Eagles

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Card must have checked the basketball roster to see if any players had the same last names of board members before applying!
go cubs go!

Forsythfan

Post by Forsythfan »

Maybe you do coach and teach at the school. But probably not basketball, remember we called him jo basketball. He is a good supporter of the other sports. But he thought he knew everything about basketball and had no problem throwing his power around when it came to that sport.

And I don't know anything about the board members kids but I do know he has a kid coming up. Good luck with that.

oftenrunning52
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by oftenrunning52 »

Forsythfan wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:40 am
Maybe you do coach and teach at the school. But probably not basketball, remember we called him jo basketball. He is a good supporter of the other sports. But he thought he knew everything about basketball and had no problem throwing his power around when it came to that sport.

And I don't know anything about the board members kids but I do know he has a kid coming up. Good luck with that.
"Maybe"? :roll:
Dunlap Eagles

Bobby Thigpen
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Bobby Thigpen »

oftenrunning52 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:35 pm
Forsythfan wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:40 am

"Maybe"? :roll:
I think by saying maybe he's actually saying that just because you coach cross country in the school, especially a school the size of Dunlap, it doesn't make you that knowledgeable about what is going on in the basketball program. Maybe.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Bingo!!!
go cubs go!

Bthereforkids
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Bthereforkids »

Oftenrunning52 your a coach at Dunlap? WOW You gave me crap for not knowing about the board meeting and you said i didn't have a clue what I was saying. Really! You have just displayed what Dunlap is about!

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Bthereforkids wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Oftenrunning52 your a coach at Dunlap? WOW You gave me crap for not knowing about the board meeting and you said i didn't have a clue what I was saying. Really! You have just displayed what Dunlap is about!
I edited my post since it has nothing to do with basketball team.
Get a shot of rhythm and blues
With just a little rock and roll on the side