Washington Coach Brown

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Washington Coach Brown

Post by Reggie »

O&B 78 wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 6:40 pm
Reggie wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 6:12 pm And thus concludes the dog and pony show.
And a new one begins... going to be interesting this new season when rivals meet.
Could be the ugliest since the mid 90's when the late Scott Wehnes was prepared to take on the entire Metamora student section.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher
southpaw80
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by southpaw80 »

As a Washington resident I have to say this has been extremely embarrassing. If we had Jimmy Chitwood and Shooter living in town this would have been more entertaining than Hooisers.

Last time I checked, it is the ADs job to keep coaches in line....the coaches report to the AD. The AD is the boss. However in Washington we do not have an AD, we have an AC - we have an Athletic Coordinator.

Coaches are not perfect. A strong AD can prevent things like this from ever becoming an issue by being a boss instead of just a drinking buddy.

This is now the second time in as many years that this has happened at WCHS. The first one was the former Head Volleyball Coach. Awful situation, everyone was aware of it, and AC stuck his head in the sand. Situation probably could have been reversed if the coach had been strongly counseled along the way. But unchecked, things continued to spiral downward, lots of hurt and pain to go around....WHERE is the guy who is supposed to be in charge of evaluating the head coaches and giving them criticism when necessary to keep things like this from getting out of control?
JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

I heard a really disturbing thing about Washington High School athletics the other day. A school with 1200 students has an athletic director AND an athletic secretary. Wow. And we wonder why public school districts tax the bejesus out of property in this state for less and less return.
Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal »

The sad thing about this is all the young talent Washington has. Last season Washington was 1 game away from State and a close game at that. Yes I know there was a semi-final game but Washington and Bloomington knew their game was the ticket to State. Sticking together would've made an awesome State contender. If kids continue to play basketball for Brown, he will continue to make the team great even without those who don't play or move on to other schools. That's what hew does.

It's a shame things worked out this way.

GBG, just got your texts. Very funny!!
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy
Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal »

Let's take a step back. Washington receives some transfers. Some original players loose some playing time. Players move to another school district for playing time. They take away playing time from that school. How ironic is that?
Last edited by Cristobal on Fri May 12, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy
Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal »

When's the last day of school? I'm ready to move on to a football topic that I've been drowning to talk about for a month.
O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

Cristobal wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 8:35 am When's the last day of school? I'm ready to move on to a football topic that I've been drowning to talk about for a month.
You don't have to wait till then.
I read the back of the Book, You lose.
law2015
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by law2015 »

When will WCHS and community wake up!!! The problem is not with the coach, the AD but rather with the Kyle Freeman. His leadership has been appalling to say the lease. Also the problem does not stop with the Athletic Dept but the whole school. Freeman has NO CONTROL period or leadership. Washington "Pretends" to be the Perfect Place the Perfect School...which it is not it is a *** show of smoke and mirrors. Crap rolls down hill and there is a lot coming from the Top Man at WCHS. It's only hope that with a new school board President the good ole boys club will be broken up. Completely agree with a previous post that this is not the first time the Athletic Dept has miss handled bad situations. People on here talk about soft parents or too soft of students/players. I think we can all agree that we want coaches that instill discipline and hard work, but with that said there is a point when it goes too far. I do feel the board made the correct decision with the Coach, but where is the accountability of Freeman, I promise you he had numerous meetings with MANY MANY parents prior to it going this far, as mentioned earlier they had a similar situation not more than a year ago with the Head Volleyball Coach, but in that case you had no former players or current ones defending him because there was nothing to defend. But this was allowed to go on for years. So I ask the community when is enough enough clean house from the top down.
Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal »

O&B 78 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 8:37 am
Cristobal wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 8:35 am When's the last day of school? I'm ready to move on to a football topic that I've been drowning to talk about for a month.
You don't have to wait till then.
Out of respect of a friend and fellow poster, I said I would wait till school was over.
Bballnut
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Bballnut »

If the destination truely is Metamora for a select few, isn't their coach a demanding, tough as nails coach too?
The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.
Jeepin
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by Jeepin »

JD wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 5:27 pm
Jeepin wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 4:54 pm Next on the agenda for the board should be looking into the poor job the superintendent has done since being hired, managing his AD and parents with selfish agendas. When something escalates to this stage someone is not doing their job.
The AD who just won an AD award?
The AD has not made a decision in 3 years.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

JMM28 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 7:16 am I heard a really disturbing thing about Washington High School athletics the other day. A school with 1200 students has an athletic director AND an athletic secretary. Wow. And we wonder why public school districts tax the bejesus out of property in this state for less and less return.
So having ONE secretary to the AD is what raises your taxes? :D Many schools have a secretary to the AD. An AD at a decent sized school has a ton of small details to take of care and having a secretary is a HUGE help. I would also wager that the secretary does not make huge bucks.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Jeepin wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:53 am
JD wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 5:27 pm
Jeepin wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 4:54 pm Next on the agenda for the board should be looking into the poor job the superintendent has done since being hired, managing his AD and parents with selfish agendas. When something escalates to this stage someone is not doing their job.
The AD who just won an AD award?
The AD has not made a decision in 3 years.
I find that hard to believe - not ONE decision? I am not a Washington resident nor do I know much about the inner workings of WCHS but I find it hard to believe that the AD has not made ONE decision in three years? :P
deadguy35

Post by deadguy35 »

Cristobal wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 7:31 am The sad thing about this is all the young talent Washington has. Last season Washington was 1 game away from State and a close game at that.
So what? You do realize that there are lots of large school area teams who have actually made it to the Super Sectional this decade while Washington has not (Notre Dame, Richwoods, Central, Manual, Morton and Limestone).

Enough people have commented on the recent issue involving Brown, which has been settled, so I won't comment on that.

What I find amazing about Washington basketball is that in spite of all the regular season success and talent that they have, they have had very little post season success since 2008. Washington did not make it to the Super Sectional last year and has not since 2008 while all of the above area schools mentioned have. Why is that?
Fear is failure, and the forerunner of failure.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

deadguy35 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 12:06 pm
Cristobal wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 7:31 am The sad thing about this is all the young talent Washington has. Last season Washington was 1 game away from State and a close game at that.
So what? You do realize that there are lots of large school area teams who have actually made it to the Super Sectional this decade while Washington has not (Notre Dame, Richwoods, Central, Manual, Morton and Limestone).

Enough people have commented on the recent issue involving Brown, which has been settled, so I won't comment on that.

What I find amazing about Washington basketball is that in spite of all the regular season success and talent that they have, they have had very little post season success since 2008. Washington did not make it to the Super Sectional last year and has not since 2008 while all of the above area schools mentioned have. Why is that?
That is puzzling....I am surprised that year in and year Washington has really good success in the regular season, not just in the MI but also out of conference. But come post season they have had trouble many years in regionals, let alone sectionals. Still an outstanding program and coach but post season glory has mostly eluded this program despite gaudy regular season records...
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

Bballnut wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 9:55 am If the destination truely is Metamora for a select few, isn't their coach a demanding, tough as nails coach too?
Kind of what I was thinking. Playing for Metamora is not exactly Club Med.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher
O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

Reggie wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 3:26 pm
Bballnut wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 9:55 am If the destination truely is Metamora for a select few, isn't their coach a demanding, tough as nails coach too?
I hope all parents and kids considering transfers, regardless of where they are from or going, proceed with caution. The grass is not always greener somewhere else whether schools and sports or jobs. Going to be a strain on lots of friendships for kids and adults
TheHouse

Post by TheHouse »

That's what I was thinking. I played football for Greives at Woodruff and he called us way worse then anything Brown said. But we didn't cry about it. We knew he cared
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Ha! You guys should've played back in the 1970's with me - things were FARRRRRRR different than even 10-20 years ago. I am not saying that some of the things coaches did back then were right but man it was tough....and to go back even further when my oldest brother played football in the 1960's they didn't even allow water breaks during two a days - coaches thought it made players weak. But by his varsity seasons things had changed as coaches got more information. Coaching at the high school level has changed and evolved for the most part- and for the better! Things are so much better today. I will say though that I see things at the youth level - little league and JFL type stuff that makes me wonder sometimes....
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

O&B 78 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 4:48 pm
I hope all parents and kids considering transfers, regardless of where they are from or going, proceed with caution. The grass is not always greener somewhere else whether schools and sports or jobs. Going to be a strain on lots of friendships for kids and adults
IMO any parent who moves just for the purpose of their kids playing sports needs their head examined. My wife and I did it the old-fashioned way: moved into the school district we wanted before having kids. And it had absolutely nothing to do with sports.
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

CIS wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:28 pm Ha! You guys should've played back in the 1970's with me - things were FARRRRRRR different than even 10-20 years ago. I am not saying that some of the things coaches did back then were right but man it was tough....and to go back even further when my oldest brother played football in the 1960's they didn't even allow water breaks during two a days - coaches thought it made players weak. But by his varsity seasons things had changed as coaches got more information. Coaching at the high school level has changed and evolved for the most part- and for the better! Things are so much better today. I will say though that I see things at the youth level - little league and JFL type stuff that makes me wonder sometimes....
You are so old East Peoria actually made the fans walk uphill just to get to the game! :bigsm
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Reggie wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 7:40 am
CIS wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:28 pm Ha! You guys should've played back in the 1970's with me - things were FARRRRRRR different than even 10-20 years ago. I am not saying that some of the things coaches did back then were right but man it was tough....and to go back even further when my oldest brother played football in the 1960's they didn't even allow water breaks during two a days - coaches thought it made players weak. But by his varsity seasons things had changed as coaches got more information. Coaching at the high school level has changed and evolved for the most part- and for the better! Things are so much better today. I will say though that I see things at the youth level - little league and JFL type stuff that makes me wonder sometimes....
You are so old East Peoria actually made the fans walk uphill just to get to the game! :bigsm
Ah yes....good 'ole Stamper Field! A true treasure....and it wasn't just the fans. When I played they made the opposing players walk up the hill! A little extra advantage. Gosh, one year we played for their homecoming game on a Saturday afternoon and our bus got stuck in the back of the parade - folks were yelling things, throwing things at the bus (hey at least I got a banana to eat out of it :D )
O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

CIS wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 11:05 am
Reggie wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 7:40 am
Ah yes....good 'ole Stamper Field! A true treasure....and it wasn't just the fans. When I played they made the opposing players walk up the hill! A little extra advantage. Gosh, one year we played for their homecoming game on a Saturday afternoon and our bus got stuck in the back of the parade - folks were yelling things, throwing things at the bus (hey at least I got a banana to eat out of it :D )
The blizzard game?
wolverine55
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by wolverine55 »

JMM28 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 7:16 am I heard a really disturbing thing about Washington High School athletics the other day. A school with 1200 students has an athletic director AND an athletic secretary. Wow. And we wonder why public school districts tax the bejesus out of property in this state for less and less return.
I have no idea how a school of 1200 would function without both these spots. We have an athletic secretary as well, it's a needed position, and we're a school of only 600
Not that I know of...
OrangeandBlack74
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by OrangeandBlack74 »

So I understand that assistant football coach Guedet has resigned his position as a coach. His son played (and started) on the varsity basketball team this past season. Are these things related to the situation with Coach Brown, and the fact that he was retained? Is there tension within the athletic department at WaCoHi?
Once a Brave...Always a Brave