The Washington Panthers

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: The Washington Panthers

Post by Cristobal » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:55 am

Another topic that got to me last night during and after the game. If a player gets hurt and you can tell he’s hurt and you continue to play him, who’s at fault. I would have to go with the coach. The kid went to the locker room three times and continued to play in pain. Bad coaching in my opinion.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy

buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:50 pm

Is there any word on the injury? How bad is it?

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:11 pm

Tonight’s score?
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

BLACK CAT
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by BLACK CAT » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:03 pm

37-30 Washington gets the win. It was a difficult game to watch. Both teams looked sluggish and missed a ton of shots. Panthers had a strong 4th quarter, finally came alive.

Bballnut
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Bballnut » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:14 am

No box score in paper........... again. Same for Lincoln game couple weeks back.Assume one of the AD's is dropping the ball. Early game too. :(
The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

LincolnFan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by LincolnFan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:01 pm

buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:16 am

Young team for Washington this year. 2018-2019 varsity roster has 6 freshmen and 5 sophomores.

superfan309

Post by superfan309 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:13 pm

buddyholly wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:16 am
Young team for Washington this year. 2018-2019 varsity roster has 6 freshmen and 5 sophomores.
There are a handful of senior football players who would start or be key subs for this team if they would play.

JMil684
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by JMil684 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:41 pm

Washington seems to be young every year... Read into that as you will

MadHatter555
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MadHatter555 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 am

They were a mostly upper class team last year. That being said, if you look at the last few years, there are precious few kids who start playing as frosh and end up playing all four years. I have heard stories, and some first hand accounts, and the program is not for everyone. No doubt the results speak for themselves, but the underlying theme I have heard is that it is no fun playing basketball at Washington High School. Kids end up hating it, and either quit, as is common, or are basically miserable. Maybe the schools where basketball is fun never win anything. Sad to say, but a team of kids not playing this year could challenge for the conference title. I am sure the hope is that in a couple of years, this very young group will be great, but the question is how many of them will be able to stick with it?
:td

Bballnut

Post by Bballnut » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:40 am

MadHatter555 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 am
They were a mostly upper class team last year. That being said, if you look at the last few years, there are precious few kids who start playing as frosh and end up playing all four years. I have heard stories, and some first hand accounts, and the program is not for everyone. No doubt the results speak for themselves, but the underlying theme I have heard is that it is no fun playing basketball at Washington High School. Kids end up hating it, and either quit, as is common, or are basically miserable. Maybe the schools where basketball is fun never win anything. Sad to say, but a team of kids not playing this year could challenge for the conference title. I am sure the hope is that in a couple of years, this very young group will be great, but the question is how many of them will be able to stick with it?
You're only in high school once. I get the kids not playing all 3 sports any more. Just too much off season work needed to even be competitive. But, one would think kids in the school would stand in line to play for one of the best bench coaches in the state. They're not and that is telling. Are they too soft or............... concentrating on another sport? Dunno,

buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:00 pm

I’ll vote for too soft

superfan309

Post by superfan309 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:30 pm

buddyholly wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:00 pm
I’ll vote for too soft
I don't think Fisher and Ludolf are soft. We got off topic.

I will be interested in seeing them perform. It will be important for average or above guard play to keep the kittens corralled.

MadHatter555
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MadHatter555 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:30 pm

I would be hard pressed to call any of the former players I know soft, and actually many are quite tough. I think it is telling that one of the best bench coaches can't keep the best players in the school playing basketball. There is a difference between in not being easy, and it being plain miserable, and it seems like there is more of the latter. With enough mental abuse, even pretty tough kids end up checking out. If it was just a kid here and there, ok, but every year Washington loses some upper class players. It is impossible for me to think all of them are just soft. Convince me I'm wrong!
:td

buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:25 pm

It’s always the roll players who usually don’t last four years. The star players have always pretty much made it the four years. All the kids who have quit haven’t really been missed in my opinion. The two kids who went to Metamora would help this years group with all the freshman and Sophs playing. Dietz was one who I definitely knew would not make it four years at Washington.

superfan309

Post by superfan309 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:07 pm

buddyholly wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:25 pm
It’s always the roll players who usually don’t last four years. The star players have always pretty much made it the four years. All the kids who have quit haven’t really been missed in my opinion. The two kids who went to Metamora would help this years group with all the freshman and Sophs playing. Dietz was one who I definitely knew would not make it four years at Washington.
I have heard "know your role, do it your best you can be in it" from this staff. There is no doubt there is sustained success except for state appearances. I understand the idea of cutting bait, but I would imagine a Sr/Jr role player will contribute more this season then a Fr/Soph gaining experience. Who is to say those Fr/Soph won't pack it in. I would stick with my upper classmen and slowly bring in and groom the younger. The Fr/Soph stars may be gung ho now, but no guarantee.

I am going to the game tonight against EP. Just my second game. I saw the win they had in the TOC game. Resembled a JV game, so I am interested in their progression.

Bballnut

Post by Bballnut » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:40 pm

superfan309 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:07 pm
buddyholly wrote:
I have heard "know your role, do it your best you can be in it" from this staff. There is no doubt there is sustained success except for state appearances. I understand the idea of cutting bait, but I would imagine a Sr/Jr role player will contribute more this season then a Fr/Soph gaining experience. Who is to say those Fr/Soph won't pack it in. I would stick with my upper classmen and slowly bring in and groom the younger. The Fr/Soph stars may be gung ho now, but no guarantee.

I am going to the game tonight against EP. Just my second game. I saw the win they had in the TOC game. Resembled a JV game, so I am interested in their progression.
I get what you're saying but there sure aren't very many upperclassmen. The entire reason some of the youngsters are playing is a couple key contributors from last year elected to not go out. They are playing because there isn't much choice

superfan309

Post by superfan309 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Bballnut wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:40 pm
superfan309 wrote:
buddyholly wrote:

I get what you're saying but there sure aren't very many upperclassmen. The entire reason some of the youngsters are playing is a couple key contributors from last year elected to not go out. They are playing because there isn't much choice
Saw the last 2 games. There are a few bright spots. Woods, Drew and Gus will be very good varsity players, maybe even next year. The lack of 3 point shooting is apparent. 25 points against a decent Morton team. Morton also had some young players but 2 seniors that look to be all conference again.

superfan309

Post by superfan309 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:46 pm

superfan309 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:21 pm
Bballnut wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:40 pm
superfan309 wrote:

Saw the last 2 games. There are a few bright spots. Woods, Drew and Gus will be very good varsity players, maybe even next year. The lack of 3 point shooting is apparent. 25 points against a decent Morton team. Morton also had some young players but 2 seniors that look to be all conference again.
Did anyone see the quest game. Concern. Missed a teachable moment. 2 on the floor technical fouls by Panther players. neither were benched temporarily for discipline.

Washington
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by Washington » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:33 pm

Quest are 3a players that can’t play at Central, Manual, or Richwoods. There are no rules for them!!

superfan309

Post by superfan309 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:14 am

Washington wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:33 pm
Quest are 3a players that can’t play at Central, Manual, or Richwoods. There are no rules for them!!
My sentence structure was bad. It was Washington players who got the Ts not Quest.

Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:54 pm

superfan309 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:14 am
Washington wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:33 pm
My sentence structure was bad. It was Washington players who got the Ts not Quest.
Actually it was both teams during both games that night. I believe there was a total of 7 technicals and a removal of a student from the building.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy

LincolnFan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by LincolnFan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Appears Lincoln at Washington is cancelled for Sat Jan 19th

Lincoln Community High School
3 hrs ·
Activities and Sports at LCHS for Saturday, January 19th have been canceled due to forecasted weather

Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:46 am

The Panthers are really working great as a team. For such a young team they have shown other teams they will play with the best.

Great win last night. Playing a team two weeks ago and again last night and having a 33 point difference between the two shows a positive future.

Regionals should be great. Don’t underestimate these boys going in with a higher seed.

Keep it going.

Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:34 pm

Very impressed with the team this year. Same team as last year but looked so different. The warm up dunks were fun to watch. Keep it up Washington.