The Washington Panthers

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

The Washington Panthers

Post by Cristobal » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:46 pm

The Washington Panthers played an incredible season. I've being watching Panther basketball for years and have never seen a team that showed so much pride as I have this year. My wife and I completed everything we had to do yesterday to able to go to the game last night. As loyal fans we felt we needed to be there to show our support even in hard times as we are dealing with now. The team played a fantastic game. I went to watch them practice Thursday night and was impressed in what little time they prepared for this game. Everything they practiced on worked great for last nights game. This program is finely tuned.

This team has done a great job of making adjustments to injuries. For those who lost out in playing the remainder of the season, I'm sorry. I saw the looks in your eyes before and during the games and saw how much it hurt not being able to play. To those players who stepped up, you did a fantastic job. The gaps were filled perfectly. To you seniors, you will be truly missed. The coaching staff is absolutely the best in the area. This community is lucky to have you. I look forward to seeing you all in coming years.

Like I mentioned before, I received a wonderful Christmas gift from my daughter, a signed basketball from Lou Griffith. She later said I wish I could've given you another one with the entire team. I agreed because this team shows so much Panther Pride. This is not a team to be forgotten.

My wife showed me a facebook tweet from Jim Mattson about Lou Griffith. She's not here with me to look it up again, so I'm asking for someone to copy and paste the comments and picture that was posted. It was absolutely wonderful. Lou is a great leader and it showed on and off the court. I expect good things to happen for this young man.

Thank you Washington Panthers for a wonderful season.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Re: The Washington Panthers

Post by O&B 78 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:55 pm

This one? And great post Cris. Hopefully the youngsters learned a lot from these guys.
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:59 pm

I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:06 pm

I think you got the right one Reggie, Very nice post from Jim.
At least I got the picture right ;)

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:33 pm

O&B 78 wrote:I think you got the right one Reggie, Very nice post from Jim.
At least I got the picture right ;)
I wish they would seed the entire sectional because that really should have been a sectional game.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:54 pm

Lacked size, talent, depth(shame on those that couldn't stay away from trouble). All their successes this year created by sheer heart, sweat and guts!! ..... and of course, one of the best, if not THE best, fan bases in Central Illinois.
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:01 pm

GoBirdsGo II wrote:Lacked size, talent, depth(shame on those that couldn't stay away from trouble). All their successes this year created by sheer heart, sweat and guts!! ..... and of course, one of the best, if not THE best, fan bases in Central Illinois.
Lack of depth was mainly to injuries. The guys who were in trouble only missed 8 or 9 games at beginning of the year.

GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:03 pm

More from Jim MAttson:
Great to be on the radio this morning and have so many Peoria Manual fans say how classy the Washington fans were last night-- Sportsmanship was the big winner in a great game between two great teams last night- Terrific sportsmanship by the Washington Panthers, the Peoria Manual Rams and the 2,800 fans on hand. Two really classy coaches in Kevin Brown and Derrick Booth.
March Madness is Alive and Well in Illinois!
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:36 am

Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:00 pm

Is Sharp not playing this year? He was awesome to watch.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy

Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:52 pm

Cristobal wrote:Is Sharp not playing this year? He was awesome to watch.
Never mind, I got my answer.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:05 pm

Cristobal wrote:
Which is?

Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:20 pm

O&B 78 wrote:
Cristobal wrote:
Which is?
I hear he graduates midterm.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:28 pm

Good for him, bad for us fans. I liked his defensive tenacity

Ripple Effect
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Ripple Effect » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:29 pm

Panthers had a solid off season. The big men made great strides. Will have a handful of tall skilled players. With the new additions, the backcourt will be loaded. This should be another solid KB team.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:34 pm

Ripple Effect wrote:Panthers had a solid off season. The big men made great strides. Will have a handful of tall skilled players. With the new additions, the backcourt will be loaded. This should be another solid KB team.
New additions?

Ripple Effect
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Ripple Effect » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:36 pm

2 guards from across the river. Both impact players.

boatsandohs1
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by boatsandohs1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:50 am

We will have to wait and see if Ware plays for the Panthers. Sister and brother are still in Peoria schools. Don't know the family situation at all, but know Central is going to fight it...Who is the other impact transfer from across the river for this season? I think their size is good and experience at PG is their greatest asset right now. They lost a tremendous amount of scoring in Griffith, Sharp, and Everhart. Havens and Dietz are not the scorers or shooters that those 3 were. They do have toughness and can defend (also really juniors age-wise). The whole league is down even worse this year. They are probably clear cut favorites.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:44 am

Transfers seem to always be a big factor in the MI of late...Washington was already the odds on favorite but if they add a couple of quality transfers then just hand them the trophy now. How is Morton going to be this year? And did Limestone get any new transfers this year? Outside of those three teams I don't think the MI has very much quality this year...

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:44 am

It seems like Washington has had no problem going into PPS and grabbing players over the years. They have outdone Limestone in the talent pool. If it all benefits the kid, then I have no problem. However, CPS has done this for years with little regard for the IHSA or the player.
go cubs go!

superfan309
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by superfan309 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:13 pm

boatsandohs1 wrote:We will have to wait and see if Ware plays for the Panthers. Sister and brother are still in Peoria schools. Don't know the family situation at all, but know Central is going to fight it...Who is the other impact transfer from across the river for this season? I think their size is good and experience at PG is their greatest asset right now. They lost a tremendous amount of scoring in Griffith, Sharp, and Everhart. Havens and Dietz are not the scorers or shooters that those 3 were. They do have toughness and can defend (also really juniors age-wise). The whole league is down even worse this year. They are probably clear cut favorites.
There is no way in heck KB would have these guys on the team unless IHSA approved it. If there is any hint of it not being legal at this time they would be gone.

Bballnut

Post by Bballnut » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:37 pm

deejay wrote:It seems like Washington has had no problem going into PPS and grabbing players over the years. They have outdone Limestone in the talent pool. If it all benefits the kid, then I have no problem. However, CPS has done this for years with little regard for the IHSA or the player.
That is such a horsebleep statement. You're accusing the administration/coaching staff of recruiting. Where are the details other than bogus thoughts?
Like superfan said above, no way the administration allows it. Players are not exactly standing in line to play fror C Brown. He tough and not for weak of heart. He enjoys coaching who walks thru the doors.
The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:54 pm

Parents will put their kids in where they think they will get the most benefit. Not every kid can go to Manual and get playing time. Happens in all sports

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:38 pm

Bballnut wrote:
deejay wrote:It seems like Washington has had no problem going into PPS and grabbing players over the years. They have outdone Limestone in the talent pool. If it all benefits the kid, then I have no problem. However, CPS has done this for years with little regard for the IHSA or the player.
That is such a horsebleep statement. You're accusing the administration/coaching staff of recruiting. Where are the details other than bogus thoughts?
Like superfan said above, no way the administration allows it. Players are not exactly standing in line to play fror C Brown. He tough and not for weak of heart. He enjoys coaching who walks thru the doors.
Without accusing anyone of illegal recruiting there is a growing history of transfers into Washington. I agree that players can move into the district on their own without illegal recruiting.

The transfers who moved and sat out of middle school for an entire year are the ones that are most interesting. Again, this isn't accusatory of staff. I am good friends with a Washington coach so I'm certainly not saying anything illegal has occurred.

A question I wonder about is how natives feel when their kid is odd man out of starting lineup, rotation or even team when transfers bump them.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:05 pm

illini25 wrote: A question I wonder about is how natives feel when their kid is odd man out of starting lineup, rotation or even team when transfers bump them.
My guess is they don't like it, but a lot of parents have rose colored glasses concerning their own kids and if they get bumped out of any meaningful playing time or making the team they likely wouldn't have been playing much anyway and sitting on the far end of the bench.