Mid-Illini 2019-20

For the civil discussion of large school boys basketball.
CosmoK
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Mid-Illini 2019-20

Post by CosmoK » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:17 pm

As always looking forward to another competitive season. I am not real familiar with every team, just hopefully will get some friendly conversation going. In no particular order.
Metamora- Lost a lot ( Nelan,Havens,Dietz), but return a nice core group led by sharpshooter Mason & Kizer brothers
Pekin- Return everyone except 6'7" Torrey
Washington- Should be very improved after playing last year almost entirely with frosh/soph. Have 1 senior on roster
East Peoria- Finished 8-6 in conference last year & return 6 seniors
Morton- Might take awhile to get going. Lost 80% of scoring ( Crider & Olden)
Canton- Return a strong inside player( Smith ) & a couple of nice guards
Limestone- Top player graduated (Dunne), always seem to have some new faces
Dunlap- Great athlete Chatterton is back , along with Gabe Calhoun

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Mid-Illini 2019-20

Post by CIS » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:59 am

Somewhat surprised that Pekin is hosting their own Thanksgiving tournament? Pekin has never had a Thanksgiving tournament so this is something new....I would think having a big Christmas tournament takes enough time and also you have a HUGE tournament over in Washington that draws incredible teams, talent and media coverage. But maybe this will be a nice addition, something for Pekinites to do over Thanksgiving weekend. Maybe it's just a short term experiment. I believe two of the teams are Chicago Dyet and Rantoul...

RedDevil
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by RedDevil » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:52 pm

I think it is Morton that is hosting a Thanksgiving Tourney not Pekin.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:06 pm

RedDevil wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:52 pm
I think it is Morton that is hosting a Thanksgiving Tourney not Pekin.
Oh...because the site (Pekin high school athletic site) says the Pekin Thanksgiving tournament at Hawkins Gym. Teams are Dyet, Rantoul and Morton. The site's schedule could be wrong but I thought Morton's Thanksgiving tournament was the GIRLS tournament? I One thing I don't like regardless, Pekin already plays Morton twice in conference games, why have the Potters play Pekin a third time? There are 600+ plus teams in the state - can't Pekin play in a tournament without a Mid Illini team?

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:49 pm

CIS, Thanksgiving is most definitely a Morton event. I believe the design is set up so Pekin and Morton won’t meet. I may be incorrect on that??

Also PCHS doesn’t have as much “work” for holiday tournament as some other host schools. PCHS is a wonderful partner/sponsor but the holiday tournament is managed by separate entity. There are 2 PCHS employees plus a district 303 board member out of 12 people who serve as leadership for the separate entity. The PCHS AD is tournament director and does A LOT of tournament work throughout the year.

I’m affiliated with a school who hosts a Thanksgiving tournament. In contrast to the Pekin Insurance Holiday Tournament, the basketball head coach and school staff do all the work for this tournament from contracting teams, hiring officials to assigning locker rooms.

Pekin tournament has a long, storied tradition. I’m grateful that District 303 board is willing to support and Pekin Insurance continues as title sponsor.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:58 pm

One other note regarding Illinois tournaments -
The IHSA limitation change has eliminated the use of tournaments as a way to maximize games played.

This change may threaten tournaments at some point in the future. Illinois has a rich history of tournaments and I hope that tournaments, especially holiday tournaments exist well into the future.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:03 pm

illini25 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:58 pm
The IHSA limitation change has eliminated the use of tournaments as a way to maximize games played.

This change may threaten tournaments at some point in the future. Illinois has a rich history of tournaments and I hope that tournaments, especially holiday tournaments exist well into the future.
I stand corrected about the Thanksgiving tournament - again, I was going by the Pekin's high school district sports site. Illini, what is the limitation change and how might that change the holiday tournaments?

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:30 pm

CIS wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:03 pm
illini25 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:58 pm

I stand corrected about the Thanksgiving tournament - again, I was going by the Pekin's high school district sports site. Illini, what is the limitation change and how might that change the holiday tournaments?
https://www.ihsa.org/NewsMedia/Announce ... ments.aspx

Proposal 24 effective July 1, 2018
Basketball contest limitation of 31 exclusive of IHSA state series. Limitation was previously certain number of games plus number of tournaments, such as 18 games plus 2 tournaments.

Lots of teams would do 16 plus 3 (Thanksgiving, Christmas and MLK, for example).

The Pekin Insurance Holiday Tournament guarantees all teams 4 games. Some tourneys, though, now make it more difficult. There are tournaments, like Pontiac, where some teams play 4, some 3 and some 2. Also there are tournaments like the Jack Tosh at Elmhurst York with most teams playing 5 games but some 4. Some coaches don’t want to use up 5 of 31 at one event. Also if you get bounced early, you’re not getting to 31 games. Before you could schedule your regular games, add a couple tournaments and manage your schedule to maximize games.

PtownBaller97
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by PtownBaller97 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:34 pm

Morton and Pekin are both playing at their home gym. One of the area banks is a sponsor, and Pekin and Morton will play each visiting team, while Rantoul and Chicago will play each other at Pekin on Saturday afternoon.

I think the goal for next year is to get another area team involved, as well as another visiting team, so each of the 3 area teams play 3 home games.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:22 pm

PtownBaller97 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:34 pm
Morton and Pekin are both playing at their home gym. One of the area banks is a sponsor, and Pekin and Morton will play each visiting team, while Rantoul and Chicago will play each other at Pekin on Saturday afternoon.

I think the goal for next year is to get another area team involved, as well as another visiting team, so each of the 3 area teams play 3 home games.
Well thanks for clearing that up! :td I thought I read that Pekin was hosting some games at Pekin this week, but then it seemed that the tournament was at Morton...so it's both! I was half right I guess....I also thought Morton girls were hosting a Thanksgiving tournament or are they playing somewhere else?

Ripple Effect
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Ripple Effect » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:27 am

Not sure what other MI schools will bring but Washington seems to be pretty close to what we saw last year. Vanderheydt has improved his overall game but turnovers and the inability to handle full court pressure doomed them their last 3 games in the TOC this week. The lack of a true point guard is gonna be a big problem. The bright spot is we probably won’t face, in conference, the overall length and athleticism we saw this week

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:42 am

“What other schools will bring ...”

Thanksgiving summary;
Metamora 3-1 to finish 2nd at Ottawa defeating Marengo, Dixon and Ottawa. Defeated in title game by Oak Forest 64-53.

Morton 1-1 by beating Rantoul (one of the worst teams you’ll ever see) and losing to Dyett 52-51.

Pekin 2-0 defeating Rantoul and Dyett (46-36).

Canton 0-3 (PND, IVC and EP)
EP 1-2 (lost vs PND and IVC, beat Canton)

Dunlap 1-2 at Decatur finishing 7th out of 8. Lost to Thornton and Springfield SE, defeated Mt. Zion.

Limestone 1-3 finishing 7th out of 8 at Lincoln. Lost to Mahomet-Seymour, Danville and Champaign Centennial, defeated Cahokia.

If people thought football was down, look out! 8 )

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:36 am

Peoria High 60
Morton 32

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:42 am

Pekin should be decent, maybe 8-6 or 9-5 in Mid Illini. The Dragons return everyone but one player from last year's team that upset Normal to win the regionals. However that one player is Torrey, their 6'8 center - a big loss. This team will play hard, good defense and they do have some decent shooters. But size will be a drawback with the biggest size being around 6'4. Overall should have a winning season with the group that is returning...

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:47 am

Washington 54
Limestone 43

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:02 pm

If this is any indication of the MI as a whole, I Limestone at the Lincoln Tourney and they are not very good at all. And this was a home game for the Panthers.
go cubs go!

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:39 pm

Morton 44
Prairie Central 37

CosmoK
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by CosmoK » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Morton 46 Canton 41
Metamora 54 East Peoria 45
Pekin 56 Dunlap 27

Cristobal
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Cristobal » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:36 am

deejay wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:02 pm
If this is any indication of the MI as a whole, I Limestone at the Lincoln Tourney and they are not very good at all. And this was a home game for the Panthers.
Minus one player starting that game.
Sooooooo close to our only perfect week with perfect dual tie-breaker point totals of all time. U sir are a freakin' genius!!! :smart ... :salute ... :notworthy