Hail Roanoke-Benson!

For the civil discussion of small school boys basketball.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Hail Roanoke-Benson!

Post by CIS »

What a great season and accomplishment as R-B will be going to state this weekend! I believe the PJS said it was the first time since 1977....great job boys!

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Hail Roanoke-Benson!

Post by JD »

What a finish
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

CIS wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:16 pm
What a great season and accomplishment as R-B will be going to state this weekend! I believe the PJS said it was the first time since 1977....great job boys!
That particular Roanoke-Benson team lost to eventual state runner-up Aurora Central Catholic in the quarterfinals.

rocketfan44
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by rocketfan44 »

Yes, the 1977 team reached the Elite Eight in Class A, but did not bring home a trophy. This will be the first basketball trophy for RB. The 1986 team reached the super sectional and lost to Hoopeston East Lynn. Great teams in the 1960's were prior to multiple classes and kept running into great Pekin and Central teams in the post-season.

Great game and crowd at Redbird Arena tonight. Jack Weber with the big drive and finish, plus an "and one" with 7 seconds left for the victory. Ice water in his veins. Tremendous team defensive effort. Should be a fun weekend coming up. I think the RB crowd will continue to "travel well" - - there's a lot of pent up demand for a run like this! WE ARE RB!!!!!!!!!!

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

I actually think their game against Goreville will be the better of the two games in the early session on Friday.

rocketfan44
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by rocketfan44 »

So I've been resisting the urge to post much this season regarding the RB team's success because I have been just trying to enjoy the ride. You can probably guess from my login name where I am from and what team I support the most. But tonight I'm going to let it all out in a small attempt to honor the team and coaches given what they are going through.

Team accomplishments: 36-1 final record, Final Four Finish in 1A

Winners of the following:
EPG Holiday Tournament
Williamsville Holiday Tournament
Tri County Tournament
Tri County Regular Season
Regional
Sectional
Super-sectional

And RB sometimes doesn't fare too well against the HOIC, but this year they went 13-0 against them, playing every team except for Gibson City and Fisher. So you could probably award RB the HOIC title as well . . .

This group of young men has worked extremely hard over the years to get to this point. Coach Zeller recognized their strengths and used those to full advantage this season - - great defense, a strong presence in the middle, and the ability to get out and run the break. The team was well conditioned and in many games, by the fourth quarter, still had energy while the opponents were lagging.

Jack Weber (Sr) - - defensive stopper, usually called on to guard the other team's best player. Extremely athletic and ability to go to the hoop and finish or dish was a strength. One of the most court-savvy players I've ever seen. Knew when to push the ball, knew when to take the charge. The classic leader.

Jacob Nix (Sr) and Logan Nix (Sr) - - two of the hardest workers you will see. Good height, long reach and were very disruptive defensively. Ability to step into the passing lane and get a steal. Jacob could often knock down a big three. These guys are twins and have a very strong bond that was evident on the court. Relentless.

Trent Weldon (Sr) - - Very versatile player who could post up and shoot the three. Two time state medalist in the high jump translated well to the basketball court. Most dunks in RB history (unofficially) which got the crowd and team fired up. Strong on the boards and co-captain with Jack.

Jason Tallyn (Sr) - - Strong as an ox and provided solid inside play when Braman / Weldon got in foul trouble or needed a break. Definitely a fan favorite.

Luke Braman (Jr) - - Man has he developed into an inside presence over the years. Had to play a lot of games with guys literally hanging on him and nearly averaged a double double. Swatted a lot of shots and with him waiting in the lane, it allowed the quick guards to pressure out top. Huge first half vs. Fenger in the super. A lot of upside heading into next year.

James Early (Jr) - - Super quick (maybe the quickest off the dribble) and leading three point shooter. When he was hot, could take over a game. Uncanny ability to get to the rim and open up the defense. Huge outback at the buzzer to beat Quest in Williamsville Tournament.

Joel Weber (So.) - - Brother of Jack and youngest of three Weber brothers. Grew into a confident ball handler and played relentless defense out top. Knocked down some huge threes and free throws in post season. Part of a solid core for 20/21.

Josh Feucht (Jr), Chris McCurdy (Jr), and Chase Martin (So) - - Rounded out the team and their contributions in practice were important - - challenged and pushed the other guys to be great every day. Key to team comraderie and keeping everyone loose, which is probably an under-rated component of a complete team.

The season was electric, tremendous support from the super fans every night. This team was also willing to reach out to younger kids in the community and build relationships with them (memories that will last forever). And while tonight the team and coaches probably can't shake the thought of "what could have been," I think they will eventually come to fully appreciate what they experienced and they will be able to take these memories with them forever. WE ARE RB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

superfan309
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by superfan309 »

rocketfan44 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:24 pm
Yes, the 1977 team reached the Elite Eight in Class A, but did not bring home a trophy. This will be the first basketball trophy for RB. The 1986 team reached the super sectional and lost to Hoopeston East Lynn. Great teams in the 1960's were prior to multiple classes and kept running into great Pekin and Central teams in the post-season.

Great game and crowd at Redbird Arena tonight. Jack Weber with the big drive and finish, plus an "and one" with 7 seconds left for the victory. Ice water in his veins. Tremendous team defensive effort. Should be a fun weekend coming up. I think the RB crowd will continue to "travel well" - - there's a lot of pent up demand for a run like this! WE ARE RB!!!!!!!!!!
I remember watching the game in my 7th grade class room. The teacher brought in a TV. I went to Eureka Middle. I remember it so well because the Eureka team was special. I believe they only lost 1 or 2 games and were upset by Uhigh after beating them by 20 the week before. Coach was Ron Eeten.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

This virus ***! I wish R-B could have played this weekend, who knows, they might have walked away as state champs! This only comes around once in a lifetime for most schools....just a shame :x