The New Metamora Varsity Head Football Coach:

For the civil discussion of large school football.
cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Re: The New Metamora Varsity Head Football Coach:

Post by cutter752 »

Grebner was my second choice, behind Curt Ryan. Curt would bring more excitement to the game, which is what is needed to keep fans coming IMO. Redbird football has become boring, like a lot of programs...lots of reasons for that, not necessarily the coaches fault either... One program that is always exciting to watch is Rochester (and I literally cant stand the coach)....well coached and very unpredictable play calling, always taking advantage of what the opposing team gives him IMO.

metfan
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by metfan »

cutter752 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:08 pm
Grebner was my second choice, behind Curt Ryan. Curt would bring more excitement to the game, which is what is needed to keep fans coming IMO. Redbird football has become boring, like a lot of programs...lots of reasons for that, not necessarily the coaches fault either... One program that is always exciting to watch is Rochester (and I literally cant stand the coach)....well coached and very unpredictable play calling, always taking advantage of what the opposing team gives him IMO.
Maybe Grebs turns OC job over to Curt?
"When you do what you love, and love what you do, you'll have success your whole life through!"

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Concerning the hire; if most Redbird fans on the forum felt that the offense under Ryan had become stale and predictable, why would they hire the DC. Really makes little difference to me. Just asking the question.
go cubs go!

cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by cutter752 »

deejay wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm
Concerning the hire; if most Redbird fans on the forum felt that the offense under Ryan had become stale and predictable, why would they hire the DC. Really makes little difference to me. Just asking the question.
The obvious reason is that the fans have no voice in the matter. Personally, the many Redbird fans i know wanted Curt....His coaching practice was not anywhere close to how his brother coached.

MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan »

deejay wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm
Maybe the new head coach keeps the defensive coordinator duties and hires a new offensive coordinator? (or moves the assistants around?)
Looking at this with no idea of the people involved.

O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

Saw a tweet that Malone will be renamed Pat Ryan Stadium. Don’t know the history of the Malone name but will Malone be replaced all together or will it be Malone Field at Pat Ryan Stadium? Just wondering.
I read the back of the Book, You lose.

cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by cutter752 »

O&B 78 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:55 am
Saw a tweet that Malone will be renamed Pat Ryan Stadium. Don’t know the history of the Malone name but will Malone be replaced all together or will it be Malone Field at Pat Ryan Stadium? Just wondering.
The story i was told many years ago was that the football field and some adjacent land was owned by a long-time Metamora resident, Hugh Malone.
Hugh gave the property to the school for use as a football field, not sure what other uses...im sure at least most of this is true...personally think the Malone name should remain somewhere?

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Jim MacDonald at Deemack was approached after he retired to name the football field after him. He declined as he felt it was too early and he Also felt that his dad needed the honor before him. I believe his dad received that honor at Rock Falls shortly after. Mac knew his day would come and it a couple years ago.
go cubs go!

Jholls
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Jholls »

I know many fans were hoping Curt Ryan would succeed his brother as head coach. I do not believe Curt is a teacher or even has a teaching degree so that would make it almost impossible for him to be named head coach.

net
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by net »

GoBirdsGo II wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:24 pm
Jholls wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:40 pm
. I do not believe Curt is a teacher or even has a teaching degree so that would make it almost impossible for him to be named head coach.
... but without a teaching degree he was still qualified to be the Sophomore head coach, JV coach and now Freshmen head coach. But, you gotta have a teaching degree to be a high school varsity head coach??? :scratch
that is incorrect.

MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan »

No, you can be an ASEP certified head coach without having a teaching certificate. However, many administrations want a head coach who is in the building for the "major" sports like football and basketball, so want a teacher-coach.

cutter752
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by cutter752 »

Who decides what the qualifications are to be a head coach in Illinois? Individual school boards? Coaching staffs? Would it be true for all the sports in H.S., or just some hand-picked for whatever reason? Just asking.

Update...another post clarified.