IHSA moves Winter Sports Decision to October 28

For the civil discussion of high school sports.
MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

IHSA moves Winter Sports Decision to October 28

Post by MidstateFan »

At its monthly meeting on Oct. 19, the IHSA announced that they plan to announce Winter Sports rules on October 28, after the IBPH sends them its recommendations. So another nine days to wait to see what's going to happen.

https://www.ihsa.org/News-Media/Announc ... mer-sports
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Re: IHSA moves Winter Sports Decision to October 28

Post by deejay »

I still think that JB, along with the IDPH, will not change their Phase restrictions for winter sports. They have be pretty adamant about that all along. Unless there is a vaccine, it will not happen. Right or Wrong. There is a remote chance that it will be approved without fans, very remote since it these are still inside sports. Not fair to the athletes, but just not sure what else can be done at this time. I think that this is why the IHSA came up with their ruling yesterday, to soften the blow of the inevitable. Would like to be proved wrong.
go cubs go!
MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan »

deejay wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:46 am I still think that JB, along with the IDPH, will not change their Phase restrictions for winter sports. They have be pretty adamant about that all along. Unless there is a vaccine, it will not happen. Right or Wrong. There is a remote chance that it will be approved without fans, very remote since it these are still inside sports. Not fair to the athletes, but just not sure what else can be done at this time. I think that this is why the IHSA came up with their ruling yesterday, to soften the blow of the inevitable. Would like to be proved wrong.
I sort of doubt they will allow inside sports, but am just going to wait and see. Maybe basketball with players wearing masks and no spectators (by the time you get players, coaches, refs, scorekeepers, etc. in the gym, you are getting close to the 50 limit. But how do you enforce that? Have police keeping count of how many are in the gym?). If they are masked, there will have to be some sort of rules as what kind you can use (I'm sure everyone would find the thinnest ones available.). Would oxygen be allowed on the benches for players to inhale during timeouts? (Not joking on this.)
Wrestling has already petitioned to move to summer. Since they allowed girls swimming, probably boys swimming would be allowed.
IESA plans to start junior high sports right after the first of the year, though I'm not sure anything will have changed by then. They're talking vaccines maybe early next year or next summer, along with the problems of allotting them and logistics of getting millions of people vaccinated. This looks to just drag on and drag on.
justdoit69
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by justdoit69 »

MidstateFan wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:35 pm
deejay wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:46 am I still think that JB, along with the IDPH, will not change their Phase restrictions for winter sports. They have be pretty adamant about that all along. Unless there is a vaccine, it will not happen. Right or Wrong. There is a remote chance that it will be approved without fans, very remote since it these are still inside sports. Not fair to the athletes, but just not sure what else can be done at this time. I think that this is why the IHSA came up with their ruling yesterday, to soften the blow of the inevitable. Would like to be proved wrong.
I sort of doubt they will allow inside sports, but am just going to wait and see. Maybe basketball with players wearing masks and no spectators (by the time you get players, coaches, refs, scorekeepers, etc. in the gym, you are getting close to the 50 limit. But how do you enforce that? Have police keeping count of how many are in the gym?). If they are masked, there will have to be some sort of rules as what kind you can use (I'm sure everyone would find the thinnest ones available.). Would oxygen be allowed on the benches for players to inhale during timeouts? (Not joking on this.)
Wrestling has already petitioned to move to summer. Since they allowed girls swimming, probably boys swimming would be allowed.
IESA plans to start junior high sports right after the first of the year, though I'm not sure anything will have changed by then. They're talking vaccines maybe early next year or next summer, along with the problems of allotting them and logistics of getting millions of people vaccinated. This looks to just drag on and drag on.
I don't know how you can expect players to play a basketball game with a mask on. During all open gyms and practices now, masks end up being below the players noses and sometimes even mouths so they can breathe. If they are allowed to play, it needs to be without masks and that's why I don't see the season happening.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

We enforce a mask policy at my business and I wear a mask when shopping, etc. Masks, however, are extremely ineffective. I am convinced distance is much more critical than masks.

There are 2 items that lead me to my conclusion about masks. One is a CDC fact while the other is based on the recent change in policy by a local company.

Edit: masks refer to the masks we are wearing and not N95s. Those are ok at stopping spread.
”We have put together I think the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics.” Joe Biden, October 23 2020
sshoopster
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by sshoopster »

COVID-19 deficits could endanger future of IHSA
https://www.washingtontimesreporter.com ... re-of-ihsa
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Not surprised at JB decision. He hasn’t been a friend of the IHSA through all of this decision making . While nearby states take measures to make it safe to play, Illinois players are left with nothing.
go cubs go!
sshoopster
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by sshoopster »

IDPH raises basketball to high risk level
https://www.ihsa.org/News-Media/Announc ... october-27
justdoit69
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by justdoit69 »

Rumor going around that IHSA will go against gov. decision and winter sports will proceed as scheduled. Supposedly a press conference at 4:30 this evening. I guess we'll find out. :?: :?:
tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

justdoit69 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:21 pm Rumor going around that IHSA will go against gov. decision and winter sports will proceed as scheduled. Supposedly a press conference at 4:30 this evening. I guess we'll find out. :?: :?:
Yep, that has occurred. Strong language in their statement as well.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

Glad to hear this! One of the statements made by the IHSA today... “However, the board has not been presented any causal evidence that rising COVID-19 cases make basketball more dangerous to play by the IDPH or any other health organization nationally or internationally. On the contrary, the IHSA has been looking to bordering states who have sponsored both medium risk and high risk sports in the fall that have noted a low incident rate of COVID-19 spread." I am saddened by the fact we could have had football this fall. The states that allowed high school football has had very low incident rates overall. You could also say that we could have had state championships in golf and cross country....
justdoit69
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by justdoit69 »

It will be interesting to see how individual schools react to this plan and if any of them decide to opt out.
bigdaddystuck
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bigdaddystuck »

I believe the state superintendent has told schools to follow the governor's decision. This will be ending up in court is my guess.
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you've got to have is faith and discipline when you're not yet a winner.
Vince Lombardi
oftenrunning52
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by oftenrunning52 »

bigdaddystuck wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:18 am I believe the state superintendent has told schools to follow the governor's decision. This will be ending up in court is my guess.
Here is an article about the letter from the state superintendent: https://www.mahometdaily.com/state-supe ... 02020%2D21.

Of course the state superintendent, along with the state board of education, is an appointed position, so the letter and its language and tone sounding just like the governor should be no shock. I suspect your guess will be right.
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012-2019 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place and 2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2017 Girls IHSA Cross Country State Champions
MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan »

Reading the article, there does seem to be a "veiled threat" to schools that don't go along with the IDPH. It probably will end up in the courts sometime after the election. From what I've heard, the IHSA will issue general guidelines to the schools next week and each school can add additional guidelines if they wish.
Right now it appears masks will be required for all practices and games for all involved. Wellness checks before every game and practice (I imagine this will involve taking temperature). And a limit of 50 persons in the gym. We'll see what the final rules are...
sshoopster
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by sshoopster »

IHSA 2020-21 Basketball Considerations
https://www.ihsa.org/Resources/COVID-19
sshoopster
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by sshoopster »

IHSA Board's Basketball Discussion-Nov. 11
https://www.ihsa.org/News-Media/Announc ... ovember-11
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

With this current surge, I would think most schools would say no to winter sports, especially since it is my understanding that insurance companies would not insure the events (correct me if I am wrong).
MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan »

CIS wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:09 pm With this current surge, I would think most schools would say no to winter sports, especially since it is my understanding that insurance companies would not insure the events (correct me if I am wrong).
I'm beginning to think we should have played football and volleyball in the fall and just shut down for the winter. With high schools going back to online due to the current outbreak, does it make sense to get together for practices and games? Maybe it doesn't make a difference, I don't know. I'd feel a lot better about playing if the positive levels were the same as they were in October.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

I think most think that now. The governor got involved and that was that.
go cubs go!
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

IHSA board meets on Thursday. With the new guidelines set by the governor for Friday, I see no way that we will play basketball this winter.
go cubs go!
MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan »

deejay wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:07 pm IHSA board meets on Thursday. With the new guidelines set by the governor for Friday, I see no way that we will play basketball this winter.
IHSA has already put everything on hold, basically until January at the earliest, going by this statement. It's hard to tell when a vaccine will be available, and first responders will obviously be first on the list. Maybe Pritzker's new restrictions will work and the number of cases will go down. I'm not very confident.

"IHSA executive director Craig Anderson said Tuesday that Gov. J.B. Pritzker's announcement earlier in the day of Tier 3 Resurgence Mitigations to combat the surge in COVID-19 cases "will temporarily pause the IHSA’s winter sports season."
"We remain optimistic that these new mitigations, coupled with the emergence of a vaccine, will aid in creating participation opportunities in the New Year for IHSA student-athletes in winter, spring, and summer sports," said Anderson. "
sshoopster
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by sshoopster »

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

The IESA has already indicated that they are going broke, not sure how the IHSA will survive without some type of income.
go cubs go!
MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan »

deejay wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:20 pm The IESA has already indicated that they are going broke, not sure how the IHSA will survive without some type of income.
I imagine the IHSA can survive one school year without State Tournaments, living on reserves, school membership dues and entry fees for abbreviated state series. (Having dues and entry fees for each sport is just going back to what was standard pre-2003). Beyond this year, things have to get back to close to normal as far as state tournaments, or the money will run out. (Just going by long-time observing, I have no inside information.)

IESA was always working on a smaller budget, so losing state volleyball and track last year really hurt them.