For the civil discussion of college sports
tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by tombs14 »

squirrel wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:30 pm
I probably missed this posted elsewhere, but it looks like Illinois is set to announce an NCAA hockey program, which would play in the B1G.

But we'll see what shakes out. . .not the ideal time to make such an announcement, and finances may change the overall feasibility.
There was the teaser about that about 2 weeks ago from Whitman, but no updates since.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

tombs14 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:37 pm
squirrel wrote:
I probably missed this posted elsewhere, but it looks like Illinois is set to announce an NCAA hockey program, which would play in the B1G.

But we'll see what shakes out. . .not the ideal time to make such an announcement, and finances may change the overall feasibility.
There was the teaser about that about 2 weeks ago from Whitman, but no updates since.
Speculation from some Illini media members is the current economic situation is going to delay funding of hockey.
Get a shot of rhythm and blues
With just a little rock and roll on the side

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

squirrel wrote:

Only thing I had really seen about it regarding the arena they were going to build was that it would be used for hockey and also serve as a replacement for Huff Hall for volleyball, wrestling, and gymnastics.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Commissioners from the AAC, Mountain West, MAC, Sun Belt, and Conference USA have asked the NCAA to relax requirements to compete in D-I for four years: https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... quirements

They're asking for temporary relief from financial aid requirements along with average football attendance. The commissioners also asked that a moratorium be placed on schools moving into D-I for the length of the waiver. The request was made on behalf of all 350 D-I schools.

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:04 pm
The commissioners also asked that a moratorium be placed on schools moving into D-I for the length of the waiver. The request was made on behalf of all 350 D-I schools.
Big hit to the realignmentologist industry.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation »

Would be an extinction event for St Thomas. Kicked out of their D3 conference, can't find anyone in D3 to take them, wouldn't be allowed to move up.

I think you'll see a lot of cupcake games in the near future, as some of these schools just try and get a season in with minimal travel. They definitely have to look at this for non-revenue sports.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:15 am
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
The commissioners also asked that a moratorium be placed on schools moving into D-I for the length of the waiver. The request was made on behalf of all 350 D-I schools.
Big hit to the realignmentologist industry.
Nope, we'd just start an entire new hypothetical where everyone is a free agent looking to create new conferences and new NCAA structures. :joker

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

The zeroes after the $$$$ are going to be interesting to watch. Disney was supposedly targeting a bidding war for NFL rights, which expire in 2022. Many major conferences are set to expire in the 2022-23 window, as well.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:13 am
I think you'll see a lot of cupcake games in the near future, as some of these schools just try and get a season in with minimal travel. They definitely have to look at this for non-revenue sports.
As you were saying:

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:13 pm
TheAsianSensation wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:13 am
As you were saying:

Are P5 schools going to even be paying?

PH
All Universe
All Universe

Post by PH »

How much could this change NCAA?

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Whitman conforms Illini hockey “on pause” due to pandemic emergency.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

PH wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:25 pm
How much could this change NCAA?
Not much, NCAA can afford to let 20-30 players skip college and nothing substantial would change.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

illini25 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:50 pm
Whitman conforms Illini hockey “on pause” due to pandemic emergency.
Paused is better than scrapped altogether. ;)
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

They’ll be playing MacMurray and Concordia Portland in heaven’s NCAA Final 4 next year.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:44 pm
They’ll be playing MacMurray and Concordia Portland in heaven’s NCAA Final 4 next year.
St. Joseph’s (Indiana)
Former GLVC member

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

illini25 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:04 pm
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:44 pm
St. Joseph’s (Indiana)
Former GLVC member
Sadly, I think this list is in the dozens, if not even triple digits over the next few years.

On one hand, for the schools that do have the opportunity to remain open, they will see *some* of the relocated students to offset some enrollment decline.

Also, for community colleges, this could create a boom over the near-term, as displaced students stay local and re-assess their educational situation.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Commissioners from the AAC, Mountain West, MAC, Sun Belt, and Conference USA have asked the NCAA to relax requirements to compete in D-I for four years: https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... quirements

They're asking for temporary relief from financial aid requirements along with average football attendance. The commissioners also asked that a moratorium be placed on schools moving into D-I for the length of the waiver. The request was made on behalf of all 350 D-I schools.
Can't find the article at the moment but I did see something scroll across the bottom line on ESPN that all the other non-Power 5 conferences have joined these conferences above in requesting a waiver.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

TAS, big deal or no big deal?:

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:46 am
TAS, big deal or no big deal?:

A kinda big deal. This eliminates the tethering of cupcake games to MTEs. So power programs no longer can tether cupcake games to their big-time tourneys.

A modestly big deal for the likes of Bradley, who no longer have to play terrible teams as part of MTEs. Besides, those types of games are always available to the mid-majors anyways.

Domino effect comes with the 20-game conference schedules. Now you can play a 4-team tourney instead of an 8-team tourney, and use the extra slot for an extra home game. Look for more made-for-TV 4-team MTTs with 4 P6 teams.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

WAC shortening eligibility period for participation by transitioning institutions in the conference's basketball tournament to two years: https://www.wacsports.com/sports/mbkb/2 ... 0427lqsnzz

This means that Cal Baptist will now be eligible for the 2021 tournament and Dixie State and Tarleton State will be eligible for the 2023 tournament. This change in the postseason eligibility does not affect the NCAA transition period which remains at 4 years. The WAC joins the Atlantic Sun as the only D-I conferences to allow their transitioning schools to participate in the conference tournaments.

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

That...is a sneaky good way to help ensure New Mexico St the autobid. Pistol Pete essentially gets 2 of 7 teams (Cal Baptist) playing for them in ‘21 & ‘22 and 3 of 9 (Dixie, Tarleton) playing for them in ‘23 & ‘24.

*Assuming the Aggies procure the 1-seed, of course.

Also makes the WAC more attractive to its next D2 callup (old friend West Texas A&M?). What better pitch to a prospective member than “finish your season in Vegas even if NCAA-ineligible”?

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

I'd say the WAC will get SWAC'd because of this rule, but New Mexico St is never losing another game in that conference.