TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

For the civil discussion of college sports
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation »

IUPUI rumored to the Horizon. The requisite amount of excitement appears to be following this rumor.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Feels like this IUPUI thing is going down.

This leaves a fascinating situation with the WAC and Summit.

Summit:
North Dakota
North Dakota St
South Dakota
South Dakota St
IPFW
Western Illinois
Omaha
Denver
Oral Bob

WAC:
Seattle
Cal St-Bakersfield
Grand Canyon
New Mexico St
Utah Valley
UMKC
UTRGV
Chicago St

With Chicago St in various states of ineptitude, and Grand Canyon looking around, I wonder what the WAC's strategy is. On the surface, Denver and Omaha fit the profile as schools in solid metro areas who fit the geography.

Meanwhile, the Summit has a couple of eastern outposts now. I wonder if IPFW and WIU look around. Problem is for them....Horizon is probably done, and I don't think the OVC is interested (unless Murray St leaves). Their best expansion prospects are Summit schools: UMKC fits obviously, and maybe they can swing New Mexico St.

I think we have a situation where both leagues will want to poach each other in the short term.

Scenario 1: WAC poaches the Summit. Assume IPFW and WIU are gone to eastern conferences. WAC takes Denver and Omaha to get to 10 teams. If Chicago St folds, take Oral Bob to get back to 10. This would then leave the 4 Dakotas stranded. And in a whole lot of trouble.

Scenario 2: Summit poaches the WAC. Adds UMKC to get to 10. Maybe even Grand Canyon and New Mexico St to go to 12. Assuming Chicago St folds, this leaves Utah Valley, Seattle, UTRGV, Cal St-Bakersfield on an island.

The question is, which league has leverage? I'm not completely sure either one has it right now.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

BradleyBrave already posted this on the other board but it's worth posting on here as well:

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Hampton and USC Upstate joining the Big South in 2018:

Hampton has been a member of the MEAC since 1995 when they moved to D-I.

USC Upstate has been a member of the A-Sun since 2007.

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite »

Hampton becomes the 2nd HBCU to join a non-hbcu league. The other is Tennessee St.

Hampton provided a great NCAAB footnote with a 15-2 upset in 2001. Would love to see them do it again one day.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

A-Sun has been bordering on the edge of critical mass for awhile now. They have North Alabama in tow but they really, really need the rest of Gulf South to go ahead and come up now.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Speaking of conferences at critical mass, Cal St-Bakersfield is leaving the WAC for the Big West.

WAC could backfill with UC-San Diego...but they're leaving D2 for the Big West too.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

So this moves the Big West to 10:

Big West
Cal Poly SLO
CS Bakersfield (Joining from WAC)
CS Fullerton
CS Northridge
Hawaii
Long Beach St
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
UC San Diego (Reclassifying to DI)

WAC
Cal Baptist (Reclassifying to DI)
Chicago St
Grand Canyon
New Mexico St
Seattle
Texas Rio Grande Valley
UMKC
Utah Valley

They are barely at 8, but even if they lose someone along the way, <ahem Chicago State cough > they could still poach Denver from the Summit League.

Also lost in the MEAC news, Savannah State is withdrawing from DI and going back to DII. As such, they join the triumverate of failed MEAC reclassification attempts (although Savannah St did win the league and secured an NIT autobid one year) along with Winston-Salem St and Morris Brown. The league however will still maintain 11 full members even after the defections.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:28 pm
Hampton becomes the 2nd HBCU to join a non-hbcu league. The other is Tennessee St.

Hampton provided a great NCAAB footnote with a 15-2 upset in 2001. Would love to see them do it again one day.
Such a great moment. And they were down about 8 points with 1 and change to go. Merfeld being hoisted by one of his players in exultation :td :D
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Does Denver leave for the WAC though? Does anyone leave anywhere for the WAC? I think UMKC is a flight risk of the highest order. And everyone there is looking to get out. Dead conference walking.

Also you forgot UCSB so this puts them at 11 teams. Not sure what their endgame is.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:03 am
Does Denver leave for the WAC though? Does anyone leave anywhere for the WAC? I think UMKC is a flight risk of the highest order. And everyone there is looking to get out. Dead conference walking.

Also you forgot UCSB so this puts them at 11 teams. Not sure what their endgame is.
I would also mark Seattle a potential flight risk.

I look at it this way, New Mexico St and Grand Canyon is a pretty strong duo, dying league or not. Their options are about as limited as possible to go anywhere. But throw in Denver to go along with Utah Valley, that is a decent, geographically reasonable block of 4 schools. They *might* be able to sell some select Big Sky schools on that setup.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

squirrel wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:58 am
TheAsianSensation wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:03 am

I would also mark Seattle a potential flight risk.

I look at it this way, New Mexico St and Grand Canyon is a pretty strong duo, dying league or not. Their options are about as limited as possible to go anywhere. But throw in Denver to go along with Utah Valley, that is a decent, geographically reasonable block of 4 schools. They *might* be able to sell some select Big Sky schools on that setup.
I dunno, most of the Big Sky schools have football and I can see all of them wanting to band together. Is NAU and Northern Colorado in bad budget shape? Maybe they can figure something out.

My favorite fantasy option of the moment is to create an uber FCS conference with the Dakotas, Montanas, Idaho, and EWU. That's legitimate business football there, and everyone else can scramble to the WAC.

Seattle's gonna have to go to D2 if they wanna fly away.

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

There are rumors at La Salle that they have hired a firm to explore dropping down from the A10.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

I wonder how long before the A-10 mandates a firm for Fordham.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

It seems the LaSalle thing is mostly being blown out of proportion. It sounds like a faculty organization met with and hired a consulting firm. One of the proposals pushed forth was a recommendation to remain DI for MBB only, and downgrade all others to DIII, an impossibility. :lol:

Faculty just want to get paid. An administration is likely to just ignore that.

I would not be surprised to see La Salle move to something like the MAAC, but they're not there yet.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

The decision on Gonzaga to the Mountain West could come sometime in the next two weeks: https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... two-weeks/

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

What in the world is BYU going to do if Gonzaga leaves? I don't think they want to be in a Gonzagaless WCC.

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

If the WCC wants to keep BYU, they will have to add Seattle, Denver, and everyone’s favorite Grand Canyon.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:18 am
If the WCC wants to keep BYU, they will have to add Seattle, Denver, and everyone’s favorite Grand Canyon.
I don't think those schools would make BYU happy.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

It would appear that a major piece to Gonzaga's MWC move is that the league hold at 12. And I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen.

BYU probably would tolerate Grand Canyon-at least they have the framework for big time in place. But their kind of like the weird brother-in-law in the WCC family.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

West Coast gets desperate in their efforts to keep Gonzaga and announce a move to a 16-game league schedule, instead of an 18-game double round-robin:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... -ncaa-bids

Also the league has changed to a tiered tournament format, with the top 2 seeds getting byes to the semifinals, effective next year.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

This could (finally) be the death knell of the WAC.

If by some miracle the MVC expands and Gonzaga leaves the WCC, it's certain death for the WAC.

If we assume the MVC adds NKU with Murray St....IPFW is the likely Horizon replacement, and I think WIU would be the modest favorite for the OVC opening. Over in the WCC, Seattle would be the favorite to replace Gonzaga.

Summit would be down to 6 teams, but with a western shift geographically....UMKC would be a lock to return to the Summit. And once you get to this point, considering the Summit is getting decent seeds in March...New Mexico St would have to turn there too, right? Add Grand Canyon and UVU and you've got a solid 10 team league.

WAC is then down to Cal Baptist, UT Rio Grande Valley, and Chicago St. And we all know CSU is going to have trouble merely existing. And Cal Baptist would just skip transitioning to D1. If UTRGV bribes the Southland to go from 13 teams to 14, it's over for the WAC. Finally.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Gonzaga AD says the school is staying in the WCC:

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Liberty ditches Big South for Atlantic Sun. USC Upstate/Liberty is our first conference trade since Denver/UMKC? Have we ever had a conference triangle? :lol:

Big South down to 11. Might be eyeing Howard to complete Hampton.

ASun up to 9. Adding the 2 Florida MEAC schools and dumping NJIT is a scenario.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Wed May 16, 2018 8:15 pm
Liberty ditches Big South for Atlantic Sun. USC Upstate/Liberty is our first conference trade since Denver/UMKC? Have we ever had a conference triangle? :lol:

Big South down to 11. Might be eyeing Howard to complete Hampton.

ASun up to 9. Adding the 2 Florida MEAC schools and dumping NJIT is a scenario.
Here's a story I could find regarding the Liberty news: http://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-to-mak ... ouncement/

The move would be to the Atlantic Sun for all sports excluding football. The Flames have been a member of the Big South since 1991, shortly after they became D-I in 1989.

The Howard move to the Big South makes sense as they would likely have more in common with the schools in that conference or the Atlantic Sun.