College Football Cancellations

For the civil discussion of college sports
User avatar
MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Posts: 740
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 11:23 am

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by MissouriValleyUnite »

Over 10 B1G players have been diagnosed with myocarditis. An overseas study identified active cardiac inflammation in 60 and heart involvement in 78 of 100 recovered patients.

University presidents don't want to put their school's assets at risk of being plunged from lawsuits, as that would jeapardize their personal careers.

I expect as other leagues' presidents confer with their lawyers, they'll come to the same decision.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7203
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

I don't know about politics playing that much of a role as much as fear. The B1G and Pac12 can hide behind a concern for safety. If the SEC and Big12 start seeing some issues, many will be quick to jump on them so playing is a braver decision. Will be curious to see what happens.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 16694
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:01 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:24 pm
Buckeyes1 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:36 am


Dems/media don’t want any normalcy in Trump’s America before the election
Whether college football is played this fall has zero to do with Donald Trump. I know he THINKS everything is about him. But really it’s not.
It is absolutely about Trump. Look at the politics of the conferences. SEC is conservative. They will have their season. The Big 12 is conservative. They will play. ACC is mostly conservative. They will play.

Big 10 is socialists liberal commies. No season. PAC 12 is socialist liberal commies. They will cancel next.
So suddenly caring about the health and well being of their student-athletes makes these conferences socialist liberal commies. Got it.

I suppose, by your reasoning, that puts the Ivy League, Mid-American Conference, and Mountain West Conference in the same category as the B1G and the Pac-12.

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 16694
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Something worth considering...

The people that are the most gung ho about wanting college football played are the reason that college football isn't going to be played.

User avatar
tombs14
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3622
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Peoria County

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by tombs14 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:55 pm

The people that are the most gung ho about wanting college football played are the reason that college football isn't going to be played.
The players and coaches? Because that is the right answer - to which you would be wrong.

User avatar
Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5624
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:03 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by Buckeyes1 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:54 pm
Buckeyes1 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:01 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:24 pm


Whether college football is played this fall has zero to do with Donald Trump. I know he THINKS everything is about him. But really it’s not.
It is absolutely about Trump. Look at the politics of the conferences. SEC is conservative. They will have their season. The Big 12 is conservative. They will play. ACC is mostly conservative. They will play.

Big 10 is socialists liberal commies. No season. PAC 12 is socialist liberal commies. They will cancel next.
So suddenly caring about the health and well being of their student-athletes makes these conferences socialist liberal commies. Got it.

I suppose, by your reasoning, that puts the Ivy League, Mid-American Conference, and Mountain West Conference in the same category as the B1G and the Pac-12.
This has nothing to do with the players safety. The players are safer with their teams. They are immune to COVID now that they aren’t playing football? They are more likely to get COVID going to class than playing football.
You better hope the BIG institutes a mercy rule because we’re gonna drop 100

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 16694
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

tombs14 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:24 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:55 pm

The people that are the most gung ho about wanting college football played are the reason that college football isn't going to be played.
The players and coaches? Because that is the right answer - to which you would be wrong.
Yeah not quite.

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 16694
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:39 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:54 pm
Buckeyes1 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:01 pm


It is absolutely about Trump. Look at the politics of the conferences. SEC is conservative. They will have their season. The Big 12 is conservative. They will play. ACC is mostly conservative. They will play.

Big 10 is socialists liberal commies. No season. PAC 12 is socialist liberal commies. They will cancel next.
So suddenly caring about the health and well being of their student-athletes makes these conferences socialist liberal commies. Got it.

I suppose, by your reasoning, that puts the Ivy League, Mid-American Conference, and Mountain West Conference in the same category as the B1G and the Pac-12.
This has nothing to do with the players safety. The players are safer with their teams. They are immune to COVID now that they aren’t playing football? They are more likely to get COVID going to class than playing football.
And that's exactly why it's getting postponed til the spring. They can't put college football players in a bubble like what you have for the NBA and NHL. There's WAY too much liability for these university presidents to deal with. And the fact that some of these athletes are already having issues related to myocarditis makes it an even easier decision for universty presidents to make.

Then there's this from Drew Magary:

Image

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 16694
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »


Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7203
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:54 pm
I suppose, by your reasoning, that puts the Ivy League, Mid-American Conference, and Mountain West Conference in the same category as the B1G and the Pac-12.
The MAC, Mountain West and even Ivy League aren't playing based on the lost $$$$ of the Power 5 cancelled non conference schedule much more than player safety. I would say even the B10 and Pac 12 are hoping spring allows for more $$$ with hope of fans in the stands or at worse the same financial model as fall football with TV only.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

User avatar
iversonfan14
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Posts: 1914
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:43 am

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by iversonfan14 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:28 pm
Buckeyes1 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:39 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:54 pm


So suddenly caring about the health and well being of their student-athletes makes these conferences socialist liberal commies. Got it.

I suppose, by your reasoning, that puts the Ivy League, Mid-American Conference, and Mountain West Conference in the same category as the B1G and the Pac-12.
This has nothing to do with the players safety. The players are safer with their teams. They are immune to COVID now that they aren’t playing football? They are more likely to get COVID going to class than playing football.
And that's exactly why it's getting postponed til the spring. They can't put college football players in a bubble like what you have for the NBA and NHL. There's WAY too much liability for these university presidents to deal with. And the fact that some of these athletes are already having issues related to myocarditis makes it an even easier decision for universty presidents to make.

Then there's this from Drew Magary:

Image
Football will not be played this spring...I would be willing to bet a lot of money on this. And the large majority of players are literally begging to play this fall. (See number one pick Trevor Lawrence) They have the option to keep their scholarship and opt out so I don’t see how liability could be placed on the school.

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 16694
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

iversonfan14 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:35 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:28 pm
Buckeyes1 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:39 pm

This has nothing to do with the players safety. The players are safer with their teams. They are immune to COVID now that they aren’t playing football? They are more likely to get COVID going to class than playing football.
And that's exactly why it's getting postponed til the spring. They can't put college football players in a bubble like what you have for the NBA and NHL. There's WAY too much liability for these university presidents to deal with. And the fact that some of these athletes are already having issues related to myocarditis makes it an even easier decision for universty presidents to make.

Then there's this from Drew Magary:

Image
Football will not be played this spring...I would be willing to bet a lot of money on this. And the large majority of players are literally begging to play this fall. (See number one pick Trevor Lawrence) They have the option to keep their scholarship and opt out so I don’t see how liability could be placed on the school.
Has any Power 5 institution given the players the option to opt out and keep their scholarship? I'm genuinely asking because that seems like a massive financial headache for the institution to do so.

User avatar
iversonfan14
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Posts: 1914
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:43 am

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by iversonfan14 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:46 pm
iversonfan14 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:35 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:28 pm


And that's exactly why it's getting postponed til the spring. They can't put college football players in a bubble like what you have for the NBA and NHL. There's WAY too much liability for these university presidents to deal with. And the fact that some of these athletes are already having issues related to myocarditis makes it an even easier decision for universty presidents to make.

Then there's this from Drew Magary:

Image
Football will not be played this spring...I would be willing to bet a lot of money on this. And the large majority of players are literally begging to play this fall. (See number one pick Trevor Lawrence) They have the option to keep their scholarship and opt out so I don’t see how liability could be placed on the school.
Has any Power 5 institution given the players the option to opt out and keep their scholarship? I'm genuinely asking because that seems like a massive financial headache for the institution to do so.
Pretty sure every school has. Hence the 30 or so guys that have already opted out. Since I follow Notre Dame closer than any other school, I know for a fact they have told their players it’s completely their choice if they want to play this year or not and that nothing will be held against them if they don’t.

Edit: just read that it is actually an NCAA policy that the players get to keep their scholarships if they opt out for Covid
Last edited by iversonfan14 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 22880
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by tribecalledquest »

This issue and the decisions being made are not easy. Play - you get hammered. Don’t play - you get hammered.

No doubt coaches and many players want to play. However they don’t have the same potential concerns to deal with as presidents and board of directors.

Could you make the case for playing? Some can and will. Can you make the case for shutting it down? Of course you can do that to. There isn’t a cut and dry answer.

Any league or school cancelling the season is not doing so lightly. This I can assure you.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4530
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:55 am

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by JMM28 »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:58 pm

Any league or school cancelling the season is not doing so lightly. This I can assure you.
Except UConn. UConn administration probably threw a party when they were able to cancel.

User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 22880
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by tribecalledquest »

JMM28 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:13 am
tribecalledquest wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:58 pm

Any league or school cancelling the season is not doing so lightly. This I can assure you.
Except UConn. UConn administration probably threw a party when they were able to cancel.
So true.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5624
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:03 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by Buckeyes1 »

So this is about prayer safety. And they are going to have a spring season? And they are then going to have a fall season? So players get what a month or two off? Totally seems like a good thing for their bodies! Brilliant!

If they try to play in the spring it is clearly about money and the players need to give the admin the middle finger that the admin just gave them.
You better hope the BIG institutes a mercy rule because we’re gonna drop 100

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4530
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:55 am

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by JMM28 »

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:04 am
So this is about prayer safety. And they are going to have a spring season? And they are then going to have a fall season? So players get what a month or two off? Totally seems like a good thing for their bodies! Brilliant!

If they try to play in the spring it is clearly about money and the players need to give the admin the middle finger that the admin just gave them.
It is never about the players. It is about the $$$$$. They are taking the short term hit to protect the current business model. The Pac10/BigTen players demanding things were heard. The response was "Ok no season, we're good."

Ultimately cancelling football for the season is only going to hurt football athletes who are fringe professional level. The same number of players will be drafted in April just some of those names would be different if a season were to be held. It *** for the guys whose last stop is D1 football, but they might find a new calling in its absence.

All the high school cancellations are crushing poor high school kids. How many high school seniors get a last minute D1 or D2 scholarship offer based on having a breakout senior season. That isn't going to happen now which means a lot of these players will wind up at the ICCs or WalMarts of the world instead of the EIUs of the world.

User avatar
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8929
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by TheAsianSensation »

If football doesn't play in the spring, no sport plays at all for the year. Having Title IX tethered to college sports turns this into an all-or-nothing proposition. So the universities have every incentive to figure out a plan that will work for the players. Or, an incentive to literally shut everything down for a year and regroup later.

I think we're headed for a short 6-game regular season in March and April, with no postseason. Get some money and get out.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7203
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:43 am
If football doesn't play in the spring, no sport plays at all for the year. Having Title IX tethered to college sports turns this into an all-or-nothing proposition. So the universities have every incentive to figure out a plan that will work for the players. Or, an incentive to literally shut everything down for a year and regroup later.

I think we're headed for a short 6-game regular season in March and April, with no postseason. Get some money and get out.
So long as scholarships are honored, Title IX won't matter play or no play.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

User avatar
Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5624
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:03 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by Buckeyes1 »

JMM28 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:31 am
Buckeyes1 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:04 am
So this is about prayer safety. And they are going to have a spring season? And they are then going to have a fall season? So players get what a month or two off? Totally seems like a good thing for their bodies! Brilliant!

If they try to play in the spring it is clearly about money and the players need to give the admin the middle finger that the admin just gave them.
It is never about the players. It is about the $$$$$. They are taking the short term hit to protect the current business model. The Pac10/BigTen players demanding things were heard. The response was "Ok no season, we're good."

Ultimately cancelling football for the season is only going to hurt football athletes who are fringe professional level. The same number of players will be drafted in April just some of those names would be different if a season were to be held. It *** for the guys whose last stop is D1 football, but they might find a new calling in its absence.

All the high school cancellations are crushing poor high school kids. How many high school seniors get a last minute D1 or D2 scholarship offer based on having a breakout senior season. That isn't going to happen now which means a lot of these players will wind up at the ICCs or WalMarts of the world instead of the EIUs of the world.
Only going to hurt the fringe players? Good thing Joe Burrow was a senior last year and not this year. He went from likely undrafted to #1 overall pick in the draft.
You better hope the BIG institutes a mercy rule because we’re gonna drop 100

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4530
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:55 am

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by JMM28 »

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:36 pm
JMM28 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:31 am
Buckeyes1 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:04 am
So this is about prayer safety. And they are going to have a spring season? And they are then going to have a fall season? So players get what a month or two off? Totally seems like a good thing for their bodies! Brilliant!

If they try to play in the spring it is clearly about money and the players need to give the admin the middle finger that the admin just gave them.
It is never about the players. It is about the $$$$$. They are taking the short term hit to protect the current business model. The Pac10/BigTen players demanding things were heard. The response was "Ok no season, we're good."

Ultimately cancelling football for the season is only going to hurt football athletes who are fringe professional level. The same number of players will be drafted in April just some of those names would be different if a season were to be held. It *** for the guys whose last stop is D1 football, but they might find a new calling in its absence.

All the high school cancellations are crushing poor high school kids. How many high school seniors get a last minute D1 or D2 scholarship offer based on having a breakout senior season. That isn't going to happen now which means a lot of these players will wind up at the ICCs or WalMarts of the world instead of the EIUs of the world.
Only going to hurt the fringe players? Good thing Joe Burrow was a senior last year and not this year. He went from likely undrafted to #1 overall pick in the draft.
Yep. He was a fringe professional player. Then he wasn't.

User avatar
Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5624
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:03 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by Buckeyes1 »

JMM28 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:40 pm
Buckeyes1 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:36 pm
JMM28 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:31 am


It is never about the players. It is about the $$$$$. They are taking the short term hit to protect the current business model. The Pac10/BigTen players demanding things were heard. The response was "Ok no season, we're good."

Ultimately cancelling football for the season is only going to hurt football athletes who are fringe professional level. The same number of players will be drafted in April just some of those names would be different if a season were to be held. It *** for the guys whose last stop is D1 football, but they might find a new calling in its absence.

All the high school cancellations are crushing poor high school kids. How many high school seniors get a last minute D1 or D2 scholarship offer based on having a breakout senior season. That isn't going to happen now which means a lot of these players will wind up at the ICCs or WalMarts of the world instead of the EIUs of the world.
Only going to hurt the fringe players? Good thing Joe Burrow was a senior last year and not this year. He went from likely undrafted to #1 overall pick in the draft.
Yep. He was a fringe professional player. Then he wasn't.
Right. We said the same thing. I read yours backward in my mind the first time
You better hope the BIG institutes a mercy rule because we’re gonna drop 100

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7203
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

Does Nebraska bail on the B1G to play football this fall? Big 12 likely wouldn't be an option. SEC or ACC?
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

User avatar
Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5624
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:03 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: College Football Cancellations

Post by Buckeyes1 »

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:39 pm
Does Nebraska bail on the B1G to play football this fall? Big 12 likely wouldn't be an option. SEC or ACC?
No way they give up the Big Ten money. They would need Ohio State to do it too. No way the Big Ten would make the same threat to the Ohio State cash cow
You better hope the BIG institutes a mercy rule because we’re gonna drop 100

Post Reply