Urban Meyer

For the civil discussion of college sports
User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 33076
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by squirrel »

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:10 pm
JD wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:51 pm
I wonder....would you defend Jim Harbaugh and Michigan the same way?
Of course not. That's a dumb thought. I'm sure most *ichigan fans are on the fire Urban train. I admitted my bias against that awful university

But if it were Lovie at Illinois then I would have the same thought I do on this. Why should Urban get fired if he reported to his bosses? It makes no sense. He isn't the police.
You do realize bias works both ways...you also clearly can't fairly assess the situation because you are loyal to Ohio State. Very few people can separate their head and their heart.

If this happened to Lovie at Illinois he would have been out of a job for at least a month at this point.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

User avatar
Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5558
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:03 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by Buckeyes1 »

squirrel wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:16 pm
Buckeyes1 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:10 pm
JD wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:51 pm
I wonder....would you defend Jim Harbaugh and Michigan the same way?
Of course not. That's a dumb thought. I'm sure most *ichigan fans are on the fire Urban train. I admitted my bias against that awful university

But if it were Lovie at Illinois then I would have the same thought I do on this. Why should Urban get fired if he reported to his bosses? It makes no sense. He isn't the police.
You do realize bias works both ways...you also clearly can't fairly assess the situation because you are loyal to Ohio State. Very few people can separate their head and their heart.

If this happened to Lovie at Illinois he would have been out of a job for at least a month at this point.
Because of what? What did he do? He reported it. The police said there was nothing there. He should have fired Smith for being accused?
You better hope the BIG institutes a mercy rule because we’re gonna drop 100

User avatar
Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5558
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:03 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by Buckeyes1 »

oftenrunning52 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:18 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:38 pm
Buckeyes—do you have issue with Zach Smith being fired?
Interesting question! If Urban Meyer could give a logical answer to why he fired Smith in 2018, I might be willing to believe the rest of his story. However, I can't really see a logical answer to the question that doesn't contradict something he has already said. At the very least, Urban Meyer's credibility is garbage.
Smith was fired for breaking the Order of Protection. IMO should he have been fired for that? No. And to this point there really hasn't been much real evidence of domestic abuse. It was a bad marriage. When Courtney Smith's own mother is saying that Courtney was the problem that carries a lot of weight. Her own mother thinks she is a liar.

He should have been fired because he isn't a good receiver coach. He was only kept on staff because he is a top of the line recruiter and because he is Earl Bruce's grandson.
You better hope the BIG institutes a mercy rule because we’re gonna drop 100

User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 22779
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by tribecalledquest »

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:51 pm
oftenrunning52 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:18 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:38 pm
Buckeyes—do you have issue with Zach Smith being fired?
Interesting question! If Urban Meyer could give a logical answer to why he fired Smith in 2018, I might be willing to believe the rest of his story. However, I can't really see a logical answer to the question that doesn't contradict something he has already said. At the very least, Urban Meyer's credibility is garbage.
Smith was fired for breaking the Order of Protection. IMO should he have been fired for that? No. And to this point there really hasn't been much real evidence of domestic abuse. It was a bad marriage. When Courtney Smith's own mother is saying that Courtney was the problem that carries a lot of weight. Her own mother thinks she is a liar.

He should have been fired because he isn't a good receiver coach. He was only kept on staff because he is a top of the line recruiter and because he is Earl Bruce's grandson.
You’ve put a lot of weight in this thread on what Courtney Smith’s mother said.

I’m going to guess the truth is somewhere in the middle of all of this. I don’t think Courtney Smith is making all of this stuff up.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
oftenrunning52
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:52 pm
Location: at a cross country course somewhere

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by oftenrunning52 »

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:51 pm
oftenrunning52 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:18 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:38 pm
Buckeyes—do you have issue with Zach Smith being fired?
Interesting question! If Urban Meyer could give a logical answer to why he fired Smith in 2018, I might be willing to believe the rest of his story. However, I can't really see a logical answer to the question that doesn't contradict something he has already said. At the very least, Urban Meyer's credibility is garbage.
Smith was fired for breaking the Order of Protection. IMO should he have been fired for that? No. And to this point there really hasn't been much real evidence of domestic abuse. It was a bad marriage. When Courtney Smith's own mother is saying that Courtney was the problem that carries a lot of weight. Her own mother thinks she is a liar.

He should have been fired because he isn't a good receiver coach. He was only kept on staff because he is a top of the line recruiter and because he is Earl Bruce's grandson.
Smith was fired a few days after Courtney Smith requested an order of protection. There wasn't even one in place to break. Smith was fired to cover Urban Meyer's back end. Unfortunately for Urban, he then went out and lied to everyone and said he knew nothing about anything. Had he simply said he became aware of what Smith was doing when he read the order of protection request, he might have saved some of his credibility. As it is, he lied about what he knew and when he knew it. That calls into question everything he says after that, including that he did something back in 2015 and 2009.
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012-2019 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place and 2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2017 Girls IHSA Cross Country State Champions

User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 33076
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by squirrel »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:07 am


You’ve put a lot of weight in this thread on what Courtney Smith’s mother said.

I’m going to guess the truth is somewhere in the middle of all of this. I don’t think Courtney Smith is making all of this stuff up.
Right :lol:

Any mother so willing to throw her own daughter under the bus. . .it's probably not a great mother-daughter relationship and probably should take the mother's words with a fraction of a grain of salt. Especially without knowing the nature of their relationship.

I've seen numerous dysfunctional mother-daughter relationships where the mother suffers from jealousy, bitterness, or vindictiveness.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

User avatar
JD
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6525
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:59 pm
Location: Heartland

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by JD »

Well it seems unlikely they will fire Urban at this point.

I don’t think the “investigation” will reveal much. Little interest in making themselves look bad.
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4515
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:55 am

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by JMM28 »

I agree that I don't think Urban gets fired. However Ohio State historically has not hesitated to fire really good coaches. They canned Tressell a few years back for fibbing about players and tattoos. And he won a national championship there.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5611
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by deejay »

I agree, probably a 2 game suspension. However, this assistant is a dirt bag to put it mildly. These stories can’t be made up and people in program had to know the type guy he was. Urban had to know too.
go cubs go!

User avatar
JD
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6525
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:59 pm
Location: Heartland

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by JD »

OSU gives Urban a 3 week vacation where he will miss no major games.

Way to be tough.

Remember if not for the reporting by McMurphy, the abuser would still be employed.

So Urban did not report to compliance in 15. He lied at media day. Yet he keeps his job. And he admits he had amnesia in 18 about the 15 incident. Ok then

Sad but not surprising.
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

User avatar
JD
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6525
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:59 pm
Location: Heartland

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by JD »

“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

User avatar
JD
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6525
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:59 pm
Location: Heartland

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by JD »

“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

User avatar
oftenrunning52
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:52 pm
Location: at a cross country course somewhere

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by oftenrunning52 »

JD wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:09 pm
OSU gives Urban a 3 week vacation where he will miss no major games.

Way to be tough.

Remember if not for the reporting by McMurphy, the abuser would still be employed.

So Urban did not report to compliance in 15. He lied at media day. Yet he keeps his job. And he admits he had amnesia in 18 about the 15 incident. Ok then

Sad but not surprising.
Prediction: OSU loses one of these games. They win out and the loss is dismissed because it was "early" and they were without their coach. They make the playoffs and have a chance for a national title and no one asks Meyer about all of this.
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012-2019 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place and 2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2017 Girls IHSA Cross Country State Champions

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5611
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by deejay »

Was just told Board recommended to fire him, but President wanted the suspension. Makes sense, because if he had been fired, the action would have probably been taken against AD and President. Doubt if this is over. Fallout is yet to come.
go cubs go!

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5611
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by deejay »

Just listened to the news conference. He sure is an arrogant SOB.
go cubs go!

User avatar
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8170
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Butcher Hollow, KY

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by Reggie »

Urban keeps his job because he wins games and beats Michigan. This only justifies his inaction and emboldens him going forward.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

User avatar
JD
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6525
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:59 pm
Location: Heartland

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by JD »

Agreed
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 16505
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

oftenrunning52 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:39 pm
JD wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:09 pm
OSU gives Urban a 3 week vacation where he will miss no major games.

Way to be tough.

Remember if not for the reporting by McMurphy, the abuser would still be employed.

So Urban did not report to compliance in 15. He lied at media day. Yet he keeps his job. And he admits he had amnesia in 18 about the 15 incident. Ok then

Sad but not surprising.
Prediction: OSU loses one of these games. They win out and the loss is dismissed because it was "early" and they were without their coach. They make the playoffs and have a chance for a national title and no one asks Meyer about all of this.
One of those games is a neutral site game at Jerry World against TCU.

User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 22779
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by tribecalledquest »

The whole line about the medication causing him to have issues and forget things was one of the weakest things I have ever read.

If he does have that bad of a health issue and he forgets things all the time why is he a head football coach of a major D1 institution?
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
JD
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 6525
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:59 pm
Location: Heartland

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by JD »



With weeks to think about what to say and how to show remorse.
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

User avatar
Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5558
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:03 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by Buckeyes1 »

JD wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:09 pm
OSU gives Urban a 3 week vacation where he will miss no major games.

Way to be tough.

Remember if not for the reporting by McMurphy, the abuser would still be employed.

So Urban did not report to compliance in 15. He lied at media day. Yet he keeps his job. And he admits he had amnesia in 18 about the 15 incident. Ok then

Sad but not surprising.
Road game against a ranked team isn’t a major game?
You better hope the BIG institutes a mercy rule because we’re gonna drop 100

User avatar
Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5558
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:03 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by Buckeyes1 »

deejay wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:30 pm
Was just told Board recommended to fire him, but President wanted the suspension. Makes sense, because if he had been fired, the action would have probably been taken against AD and President. Doubt if this is over. Fallout is yet to come.
Incorrect. The board wanted him immediately put back as coach and the president was insistent on him being suspended. Meyer sounded like that at the conference because he didn’t feel he should have been punished at all. I still feel the same way. His boss was aware of the situation. Gene Smith is the one that should take all the heat for this and quite frankly the police department if there was really abuse going on
You better hope the BIG institutes a mercy rule because we’re gonna drop 100

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5611
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by deejay »

Whatever what was decided or not decided, Bob Ley said it best; it all came down to power, money and winning games. Joe Paterno come to mind anyone?
go cubs go!

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7133
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

deejay wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:08 pm
Whatever what was decided or not decided, Bob Ley said it best; it all came down to power, money and winning games. Joe Paterno come to mind anyone?
Paterno helped shield a child rapist for 30 years despite having direct eye witness testimony to the offenses happening inside his locker room, in the hotel at bowl games, etc. There is a vast difference between that case and this one.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5611
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Urban Meyer

Post by deejay »

I wasn’t comparing, all I was saying is that Bob Ley thinks this decision was all about money, power and winning games. Everyone thought Joe could no wrong.
go cubs go!

Post Reply