College Hoops 2020-21 Season

For the civil discussion of college sports
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Re: College Hoops 2020-21 Season

Post by squirrel »

He's a week late on Toledo-they lost twice last week. :lol:
"You're only as good as your last game in this business; always know that. You're never as good as you think, you're never as bad as you think." - Brian Wardle
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

EIU is 4 minutes away from sweeping Murray State.
"You're only as good as your last game in this business; always know that. You're never as good as you think, you're never as bad as you think." - Brian Wardle
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

squirrel wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:02 pm EIU is 4 minutes away from sweeping Murray State.
Mentioned this in the other thread that tonight was the first time EIU had won at the CFSB Center since four years ago tonight, February 18, 2017. The Panthers other wins at Murray came in 2002 and 2011. This is also the first time EIU has defeated Murray State in 3 straight games (at least as far back as records I can find on Murray State's site that goes back to the year 2000) and the first season sweep of Murray State in school history.

Game was huge for the Panthers' OVC tournament chances as they are currently 5-12 overall, tied with UT Martin for 9th in the conference, a game and 1/2 behind SEMO for the 8 seed and 2 games behind SIUE for the 7 seed in the OVC tournament. The Panthers split the season series with SIUE and lost at SEMO earlier this season with their 2nd game of the season coming in the penultimate game of the season next Thursday at Lantz Arena.

Here's what SIUE, SEMO, and EIU have the remainder of this season (with that team's current place in the OVC standings):
-SIUE: @ Murray State (6th), vs. Morehead State (2nd), vs. UT Martin (T-9th), vs. SEMO (8th)
-SEMO: vs. Eastern Kentucky 2x (3rd), @ EIU (T-9th), @ SIUE (7th)
-EIU: @ Austin Peay (5th), vs. SEMO (T-9th), vs. UT Martin (T-9th)

So it appears the final weekend series of games could decide who gets the last two seeds in the OVC Tournament.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Michigan dictating B1G schedule. Will try to play as few make ups as possible due to “tired legs” and “mental health.”

Keep in mind they had ZERO positives. Howard is a *****.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep. ... 6783346002
Well I heard Mister Young sing about her
Well I heard ol' Neil put her down
Well I hope Neil Young will remember
A southern man don't need him around anyhow
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

And the new commissioner who couldn’t get the football season right, now has messed up the basketball schedule, giving Michigan a huge break by not forcing them to play it out.
go cubs go!
wolverine55
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by wolverine55 »

illini25 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:43 am Michigan dictating B1G schedule. Will try to play as few make ups as possible due to “tired legs” and “mental health.”

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Many football and basketball teams have used Covid to manipulate things all season long. Well, MANY people have used Covid to manipulate things, but I'll just stick to sports here :D
Not that I know of...
wolverine55
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by wolverine55 »

I will say that whatever the reason or motivation is, I do think it's a mistake to not find a game between Indiana and Ohio and then Indiana and Iowa. You've already had a three week stretch without games, the offense isn't displaying any rhythm right now, so Michigan should be playing more not less.
Not that I know of...
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

wolverine55 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:18 pm
illini25 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:43 am Michigan dictating B1G schedule. Will try to play as few make ups as possible due to “tired legs” and “mental health.”

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Many football and basketball teams have used Covid to manipulate things all season long. Well, MANY people have used Covid to manipulate things, but I'll just stick to sports here :D
Michigan is using not having covid to manipulate the schedule. :)

The tired legs and mental health comments are bull shot.

I agree with your other post. They’ve got to find a game between those you posted. I haven’t looked at every other teams’ schedule but there’s got to be a game or two to add. Right now some teams will get in their 20 while Michigan is only scheduled for 15.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

I’d also like Howard to explain himself too. He won’t but if I’m Turgeon or Hoiberg I’d like to know what he meant.

“Well, every program is different," Howard said. "We’re a lot different from Nebraska and Maryland. I’ll just leave it like that.”
tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

illini25 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:51 pm I’d also like Howard to explain himself too. He won’t but if I’m Turgeon or Hoiberg I’d like to know what he meant.

“Well, every program is different," Howard said. "We’re a lot different from Nebraska and Maryland. I’ll just leave it like that.”
He's always ridden on that high horse. Such a pompous A.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

BTT seeding ... each game not played should count as a L for team who elected not to play due to precautionary measures even though NO ONE within the program was positive for virus.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

So if I'm reading that right, Illinois starts a stretch of 4 games in 7 days starting next Tuesday at Michigan State.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:03 pm So if I'm reading that right, Illinois starts a stretch of 4 games in 7 days starting next Tuesday at Michigan State.
I believe it’s 8 days.

Meanwhile Michigan fusses over their mental health and tired legs.
Last edited by illini25 on Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:03 pm So if I'm reading that right, Illinois starts a stretch of 4 games in 7 days starting next Tuesday at Michigan State.
Time for Illinois to self isolate for player safety, rest, and stuff...
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

The 25% includes participants, essential staff, family members, and fans. All attendees must wear face coverings and physically distance.

The other Assembly Hall in Bloomington is planning to allow up to 500 spectators for games played there.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Some strange goings on in the Horizon League:

So Oakland gets the 3 seed in the conference tournament even though they had a worse conference record than 4 seed Northern Kentucky and 5 seed Detroit Mercy. The league's explanation in the linked article to the tweet goes as follows:
Due to the unbalanced nature of the Horizon League schedule because of COVID-19, this season the championship was seeded utilizing a formula that considered four factors: League winning percentage, strength of schedule, weighting road wins vs. home wins and number of League games played.

Oakland finished the season with a 10-10 mark in #HLMBB play including winning six road games to claim the No. 3 seed, while Northern Kentucky secured the No. 4 seed with a Horizon League record of 11-7 and come in the tournament having won eight of their last 10 games.
Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 »

Ohio State lack of size showing up big. michigan just throws it in to the oaf and there is nothing Ohio State can do about it
You better hope the BIG institutes a mercy rule because we’re gonna drop 100
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Buckeyes1 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:46 pm Ohio State lack of size showing up big. michigan just throws it in to the oaf and there is nothing Ohio State can do about it
Seeing’s behind the back pass to no one that gave livers a lay in was stupid but he doubled down by then fouling on the lay in. Straw that broke the camel.
Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 »

illini25 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:38 pm
Buckeyes1 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:46 pm Ohio State lack of size showing up big. michigan just throws it in to the oaf and there is nothing Ohio State can do about it
Seeing’s behind the back pass to no one that gave livers a lay in was stupid but he doubled down by then fouling on the lay in. Straw that broke the camel.
That was a bad play for sure. Down the stretch you could just see Ohio State getting abused at the hoop though. It’s why I still see Illinois as being a better team than Ohio State as well.
You better hope the BIG institutes a mercy rule because we’re gonna drop 100
wolverine55
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by wolverine55 »

Michigan schedule now lists a home game with Illinois March 2nd and then they finish back-to-back with Michigan St. home on March 4 and in East Lansing the 7th
Not that I know of...
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

22-2 Drake just lost Roman Penn for the remainder of the season, the second starter they've lost in the season's closing weeks.

Drake has a game against Evansville tonight, and then visits Bradley to close out the regular season. The Bulldogs are battling Loyola for the Valley regular season championship, and they could split the title. Both teams have just 2 league losses. Loyola hosts SIU for their final pair of games.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

NCAA announced today that if a team has covid related issues and has to withdraw after the tournament has begun, a replacement team will not be allowed to enter the tournament: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ent-begins

Some additional details from the article:
There will be no reseedings or bracket changes once the bracket is released on Selection Sunday, and replacement teams will only be introduced within 48 hours of the field's release. Potential at-large teams unable to meet the medical protocols by the first game of the NCAA tournament must notify the selection committee on the Saturday night before the field is announced.

Replacement teams will be determined in one of two ways, depending on whether the team withdrawing is a one-bid conference's automatic qualifier or from a multibid league.

One-bid leagues are able to designate a replacement team if their automatic qualifier is forced to withdraw. If a team from a multibid league, whether it's an at-large team or an automatic qualifier, is forced to withdraw, the last four teams not selected as at-large teams in the original field will be ranked 1-4 and designated as the replacement teams. Replacement teams will be placed in the same bracket position vacated by the withdrawing team.

Once the NCAA tournament begins on Thursday, March 18, there will be no replacement teams. As a result, forfeits could come into play.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Baylor about to lose at Kansas and fall from the ranks of the unbeaten.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:09 pm Baylor about to lose at Kansas and fall from the ranks of the unbeaten.
Appeared to be a healthy crowd in Phog Allen Fieldhouse tonight.