TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

For the civil discussion of college sports
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by squirrel »

Jerry Colangelo (GCU sugar daddy) is also expected to be in attendance which adds to the GCU football intrigue.
"You're only as good as your last game in this business; always know that. You're never as good as you think, you're never as bad as you think." - Brian Wardle
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Rio Grande starting football. Chicago State will leave the WAC in 2022.

"You're only as good as your last game in this business; always know that. You're never as good as you think, you're never as bad as you think." - Brian Wardle
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Link to live presser (11 central): https://www.wacdigitalnetwork.com/
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation »

Happy Chicago St Liberation Day, WAC:

https://www.gocsucougars.com/news/2021/ ... -2022.aspx
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

TheAsianSensation wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:24 am Happy Chicago St Liberation Day, WAC:

:lol:
Leatherneck
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Leatherneck »

TheAsianSensation wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:24 am Happy Chicago St Liberation Day, WAC:

Where does CSU go next? Back to the Summit?

Or would they be better off dropping to D-II and joining the GLVC?
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Leatherneck wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:02 pm

Very good fit for GLVC
Congressional Budget Office
National $15 Minimum Wage will cost 4MM jobs.

Brilliant! Add those to the 11,000 Keystone Pipeline jobs Biden killed in week one.
MissouriValleyUnite
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite »

Leatherneck wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:02 pm

Mid-Continent kicked out Chicago St (technically CSU preemptively withdrew) in 2006 so I'd cross them off. Academically strong privates like Denver and St Thomas will be vocal against CSU. CSU's BOT meeting a few months ago mentioned the Horizon & OVC - but their eyes are in the wrong direction. Horizon/OVC are at 12 apiece and each have schools they'd target before CSU:
Horizon - Bellarmine, USI
OVC - Bellarmine, Lipscomb, USI, WIU

My thinking is the only D1 league who might take in Chicago St is the MEAC. MEAC is down to 8 members with Delaware St, Norfolk St, & South Carolina St openly discussing options at BOT meetings in recent months. The D2 league the MEAC would poach from (CIAA) only has 3 members that even hit 30% of the MEAC's lowest budget FB school. Two of them - Bowie St & Winston-Salem St - already publicly turned down the MEAC before they were approached.

That only leaves 2 realistic options for the MEAC - Virginia St & Chicago St.

MEAC might take Chicago St (who's a PBI) because (1) they're on the verge of dissolution and need any number they can get + (2) Chicago public schools are untapped recruiting grounds (general students + student-athletes) for HBCU's
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

The only conference that would consider Chicago State is the MEAC. And as MVU points out, it would be merely out of desparation and that league's own need for survival.

This really puts CSU on the DI death knell watch as it is required for DI institutions to be affiliated with a conference. The NCAA has made exceptions for FBS football, but I doubt they would make an exception for the ineptitude of Chicago State. The school really should do us all a favor and drop athletics entirely.

Perhaps the OVC as a very very very long shot as they may stand to be next in line to bleed members with EKU and Jacksonville State going to the A-Sun.

Summit ain't taking them back. And it's worth noting that the Summit/Mid-Con dropped them at a time when their own DI status was in jeopardy due to sustainability and not having enough members.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

I would be VERY surprised if Chicago State went to the OVC. While they already have non-football playing schools (Belmont and SIUE; Morehead State plays non-scholly football in the Pioneer League), Chicago State wouldn't fit at all. The only way I could see them going to the OVC is if EIU were leaving and they still wanted to have a potential travel partner with SIUE (though that's stretching the term travel partner immensely) in this state. Of course I don't see EIU leaving unless they were to go to the MVFC for football and the Horizon League for all other sports (including swimming where EIU currently competes in the Summit League).
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

As far as the D-II Chicago State discussion, the GLVC is the best option as has been mentioned before. The conference is currently at 15 and it would give them an even 16 and would give Lewis University a travel partner. The only other option would be the GLIAC, which includes schools like Ferris State, Grand Valley State, and Purdue University Northwest. That conference would also be looking for a replacement for Ashland University in Ohio, that is leaving for the G-MAC this summer.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Another interesting point I saw brought up online with the Chicago State move. What happens to Seattle now? They'll even be more of a geographic outlier in the WAC now with Utah Valley the "closest" school to them.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Also, squirrel and TAS, I saw in Chicago State's release that the WAC had basically assured them that there would be a midwest division with them and UMKC within that conference. Were there any schools that would have fit around that time? Any reason it didn't happen?
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:25 pm Also, squirrel and TAS, I saw in Chicago State's release that the WAC had basically assured them that there would be a midwest division with them and UMKC within that conference. Were there any schools that would have fit around that time? Any reason it didn't happen?
That was always in pipe dream territory, I think. WAC was never attractive enough for midwest schools.

MEAC might take Chicago St, just out of sheer desperation. They need a warm body; Chicago St's been reheated a few times in its D1 career.

What's really scary to think about is this: is Chicago St good enough for the GLVC? Are we actually sure about that?
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

I think CSU would disband athletics before going Division II. They were NAIA before moving to DI, and their coach at the time Bob Hallberg actually had a competent program going, reaching the national semifinals and winning 3rd place in 1984.
MissouriValleyUnite

CSU needs to tread water above the 1k UG FTE marker to maintain its PBI designation. If CSU loses PBI status, the school's access to that federal student loan program ceases.

DOE's last report pegged CSU at 1287 UG FTE with 202 student-athletes. Disbanding athletics would drop CSU's UG FTE dangerously close to the 1k threshold.

I would guess the decision comes down to NAIA Chicagoland or waiting out the D1 Independence for the MEAC.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

TheAsianSensation wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:22 am
Bluejaygrad03 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:25 pm Also, squirrel and TAS, I saw in Chicago State's release that the WAC had basically assured them that there would be a midwest division with them and UMKC within that conference. Were there any schools that would have fit around that time? Any reason it didn't happen?
That was always in pipe dream territory, I think. WAC was never attractive enough for midwest schools.

MEAC might take Chicago St, just out of sheer desperation. They need a warm body; Chicago St's been reheated a few times in its D1 career.

What's really scary to think about is this: is Chicago St good enough for the GLVC? Are we actually sure about that?
Mostly yes.
My kid was recruited by Chicago State and was a GLVC student-athlete. My kids school actually competed against Chi State all 4 years.
Congressional Budget Office
National $15 Minimum Wage will cost 4MM jobs.

Brilliant! Add those to the 11,000 Keystone Pipeline jobs Biden killed in week one.
MissouriValleyUnite

Problems for CSU with each option:

D1 Independence:
~23% revenue cut without a conference
NCAA bylaws requiring <5 non-D1s + 1/3 of games at home venue

D2 GLVC:
League rules require CSU adding baseball & softball
Lack of budget savings (several schools at/above CSU’s budget)

D3:
No good conference fit
All 32 IL/IN schools are privates

Dropping athletics:
<1k enrollment puts PBI status (+ related funding) in jeopardy
Need to use student-athletes to inflate enrollment for above

So my read is this comes down to D1 MEAC or NAIA Chicagoland. If the former doesn’t materialize, CSU joins the latter.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Just as an update to this, the 4 Texas schools joining the WAC have had their move expedited and will be joining the conference on July 1, 2021:

Southern Utah's entry date remains July 1, 2022.