Gundy

For the civil discussion of college sports
Smik
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Gundy

Post by Smik »

A college coach ( read white) can only wear approved gear or he will get roasted/fired.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Gundy

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Smik wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:42 pm
A college coach ( read white) can only wear approved gear or he will get roasted/fired.
Much like the Brees situation, this is another case of not reading the room. Wearing a shirt like Gundy was and being pictured wearing it is especially tone deaf right now. And to be perfectly honest, if you're getting any of your news from OAN and what that "news" organization peddles in, your intelligence may come into question.

And let's not forget, Gundy once fired a contractor (and this is a true story) who was working on Gundy's house for wearing an OU shirt.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

And you can't get much more of a forced sounding apology than this one:

Uncle Junior
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Uncle Junior »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:14 pm
And you can't get much more of a forced sounding apology than this one:

Ridiculous! To pretend that he is just finding this out is ludicrous, unbelievable, & laughable. The video with one of his players looks like a jihadi kidnapping video. :dabomb
I do my best thinking on the bus. That's how come I don't drive. I don't want to know how. I don't want to learn. See? The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

Smik wrote:
The first people to roast him were his own players. To me that matters.

Mike Gundy also fired a guy once for wearing a T-shirt he didn’t like.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

NCAA football coaches are a really weird bunch overall.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

JMM28 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:04 am
NCAA football coaches are a really weird bunch overall.
Now this is so true. They make D1 MBB coaches seem like the most normal, day to day dudes on Earth.
~Thomas Jefferson

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:10 pm
Smik wrote:
Much like the Brees situation, this is another case of not reading the room. Wearing a shirt like Gundy was and being pictured wearing it is especially tone deaf right now. And to be perfectly honest, if you're getting any of your news from OAN and what that "news" organization peddles in, your intelligence may come into question.

And let's not forget, Gundy once fired a contractor (and this is a true story) who was working on Gundy's house for wearing an OU shirt.
Not going to pretend OAN is a quality news source but CNN and MSNBC are just as full of garbage. Would anybody have a problem with him wearing a CNN shirt though? There are few sources instigating the race baiting more than them
"I don't like to do jokes about stereotypes, but we all know basketball players don't swim well." - Daniel Tosh

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:04 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Smik wrote:

Not going to pretend OAN is a quality news source but CNN and MSNBC are just as full of garbage. Would anybody have a problem with him wearing a CNN shirt though? There are few sources instigating the race baiting more than them
Do CNN and MSNBC peddle in nothing but conspiracy theories? John Oliver had a really good segment within the past month or so talking about OAN and what sort of "news" they're involved in.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Smik wrote:

Come on. Comparing OAN to CNN is a joke. I see you left out Fox News though.

Maybe some people would disapprove of whether he wore a CNN shirt. His players would be the ones to make that call. Just like they did in this instance.
~Thomas Jefferson

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:36 pm
Buckeyes1 wrote:
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:

Maybe some people would disapprove of whether he wore a CNN shirt. His players would be the ones to make that call. Just like they did in this instance.
Because college football players are bastions of competent thought and rational decision making.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

tombs14 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:33 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Buckeyes1 wrote:

Because college football players are bastions of competent thought and rational decision making.
When your $5 million dollar salary is based exclusively on the backs of college football players - then, yeah their opinion matters way more than Twitter/message board guy. Good luck to a coach who dismisses the thoughts and concerns of his best players.
~Thomas Jefferson

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

tombs14 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:33 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Buckeyes1 wrote:

If I was a coach and my returning star running back who ran for 2,000+ yards and had 21 touchdowns last season had an issue with me wearing a shirt like that, then yeah I might listen to what they have to say.

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 »

:D
tribecalledquest wrote:
Buckeyes1 wrote:
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:

I left off Fox because they like OAN are right wing. The point being that anything is ok as long as it is the left wing point of view. I am aware that Fox sells garbage too.

The American media is a joke and frankly is the number 1 reason we have unrest in this country right now. They only report the stuff that causes chaos. White person *** by black cop, not reported. Black guy resisting arrest and steals taser, shot by white cop; that poor innocent man got murdered!

The danger being that the general public believes that cops are targeting black people despite every bit of data not backing it up.
"I don't like to do jokes about stereotypes, but we all know basketball players don't swim well." - Daniel Tosh

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 am
tribecalledquest wrote:
Buckeyes1 wrote:

I left off Fox because they like OAN are right wing. The point being that anything is ok as long as it is the left wing point of view. I am aware that Fox sells garbage too.

The American media is a joke and frankly is the number 1 reason we have unrest in this country right now. They only report the stuff that causes chaos. White person *** by black cop, not reported. Black guy resisting arrest and steals taser, shot by white cop; that poor innocent man got murdered!
Sounds like you need to find new media sources. Or at least stop watching TV for news. I'm a news/print media snob but I don't see any TV news as "news". I see it as entertainment.
~Thomas Jefferson

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:19 am
Buckeyes1 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Sounds like you need to find new media sources. Or at least stop watching TV for news. I'm a news/print media snob but I don't see any TV news as "news". I see it as entertainment.
I acknowledged that when I said that American media is a joke. The general public is dumb and doesn’t know this though

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:27 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Buckeyes1 wrote:

I acknowledged that when I said that American media is a joke. The general public is dumb and doesn’t know this though
Part of the problem is we give too many things the label of “media”. It dampens it and lowers the overall standards and expectations. That frustrates the hell out of me.

For example - Rachel Maddow’s and Sean Hannity’s shows aren’t “news” at all. They are entertainment/opinion shows.
~Thomas Jefferson

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:31 pm
Buckeyes1 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:27 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:

Part of the problem is we give too many things the label of “media”. It dampens it and lowers the overall standards and expectations. That frustrates the hell out of me.

For example - Rachel Maddow’s and Sean Hannity’s shows aren’t “news” at all. They are entertainment/opinion shows.
I hadn’t really thought about that before, but I get what you’re saying. It’s not much different than how we should be looking at ESPN shows like First Take or whatever it is.

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

ESPN is as much sports these days as MTV is to actual Music.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

tombs14 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:58 pm
True. If there isn’t a live game on I never turn to ESPN.
~Thomas Jefferson

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:16 pm
tombs14 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:58 pm
True. If there isn’t a live game on I never turn to ESPN.
ESPN gets too political too often these days. Which is why viewership during non live sports is pathetic. They can blame it on the lockdown all they want but the numbers for those shows were bad before the lockdown too

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Last 8 posts (starting June 30)

:zappl x 💯
We will not have to fight you. We will so weaken your economy until you will fall like overripe fruit into our hands. The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Khrushchev ‘59

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

There is no such thing as "news" these days. Not like there used to be. With social media and all the internet sites available to people, it is a rare occurrence when someone actually learns something for the first time from watching a network news show. By the time we tune in, whatever they are are reporting, or airing is already known to most people. Because of my age, most of my friends- my siblings-cousins etc all grew up with TV and print media being the main source. Many of them still have local news programming on in the morning, at dinner. There is nothing "new" there. The same is true with the weather. Who gets their weather info from a local weather TV news broadcast when its available real time 24/7 in your hand.

My point is, these networks still have to provide content to fill the time they have carved up for news programming. Obviously they arent reporting or delivering breaking news. So they each have developed a niche market of sifting through what they deem the pertinent, and spinning it to their viewers. This is another example of how the country is divided. Generally speaking, those of us that lean left watch CNN/MSNBC. Those of us that lean right watch Fox News. But as time goes on, less and less people watch any of it. TCQ calls it entertainment, maybe thats accurate. But these networks are fighting for survival, there is huge advertising money at stake, and so they are in a battle every day to stay relevant to their core audiences. Its really pretty simple.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

Excellent points, JB.

My issue is the presenters pretend to be objective journalists. Some of them probably buy that in their own head. Take don 🍋 for example. Three years ago he had a guest call him on “being biased” against Mr. Trump. Lemon finally conceded that he disliked Trump but also stated it made no difference in his presentation. It was very comical.
We will not have to fight you. We will so weaken your economy until you will fall like overripe fruit into our hands. The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Khrushchev ‘59

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

illini25 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:07 am
Excellent points, JB.

My issue is the presenters pretend to be objective journalists. Some of them probably buy that in their own head. Take don 🍋 for example. Three years ago he had a guest call him on “being biased” against Mr. Trump. Lemon finally conceded that he disliked Trump but also stated it made no difference in his presentation. It was very comical.
You love you some Don Lemon 😁.
~Thomas Jefferson