TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

For the civil discussion of college sports
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Re: TAS and Squirrel Re-Construct DI

Post by TheAsianSensation »

Given the A-Fun was short on members when NJIT joined, and the bad geographic fit, I think both parties knew that was a short-term thing.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

Leatherneck
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Leatherneck »

Not that it's going to lead to a possible Ole Miss/Mississippi State expulsion from the league (although could be something to think about), but the SEC is threatening to not hold conference championships in Mississippi unless the state removes the Confederate flag emblem from its state flag:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ag-changes

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite »

Do you smell what Bethune is cooking? :chow :zgrill

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:52 pm
Do you smell what Bethune is cooking? :chow :zgrill

The article mentions the possibility of Bethune-Cookman following Florida A&M to the SWAC or possibly going to the Atlantic Sun which, although it doesn't sponsor football at this time, they have two members that are associate members in the Big South for football which will include two HBCUs in 2021.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Leatherneck wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:24 am
Not that it's going to lead to a possible Ole Miss/Mississippi State expulsion from the league (although could be something to think about), but the SEC is threatening to not hold conference championships in Mississippi unless the state removes the Confederate flag emblem from its state flag:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ag-changes
Conference USA is joining the SEC's stance on Mississippi.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Bethune-Cookman to the SWAC looks all but official. Somewhat surprised Tennessee St didn't pursue that opening in the SWAC.

MEAC is now facing an extinction event. Very real chance the conference dies.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Would Tennessee State going to the MEAC solve any of that conference's problems or are they done no matter what?

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

The next domino to fall in the erosion of the MEAC and a possible replacement for Robert Morris in the NEC?:

Delaware State is a charter member of the MEAC and with North Carolina A&T set to leave the MEAC next year, it would leave Howard as the lone charter member of the MEAC still in the conference.

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

TN State wouldn’t leave OVC for SWAC so MEAC is a non-starter (SWAC>>>MEAC).

Winston-Salem St has no interest going down this rabbit hole again.
https://hbcugameday.com/2020/06/11/did- ... ac-exodus/

So the MEAC’s only real options are Virginia St and Chicago St. And they have to be willing - they’re not going to commit to a league if the remaining members have a hand on another lifeboat (Delaware St/NEC).

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Maybe this is an idea for the remaining teams in the MEAC:

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:25 pm
Would Tennessee State going to the MEAC solve any of that conference's problems or are they done no matter what?
Tennessee St will not leave the OVC for the MEAC.

In fact, there's not a D-1 team that would move to the MEAC. Well, maybe Chicago St :twisted:

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Augustana (SD) still needs a conference home to make the jump to DI, if the two parties are desperate enough. :lol:
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Missed this last week: The NCAA is going to allow St. Thomas (MN) to apply for a waiver to move directly to DI. True to NCAA procedure :roll: :lol: they still have to apply for the waiver now.

https://www.fox5vegas.com/st-thomas-gai ... 7794a.html
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

squirrel wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:09 am
Missed this last week: The NCAA is going to allow St. Thomas (MN) to apply for a waiver to move directly to DI. True to NCAA procedure :roll: :lol: they still have to apply for the waiver now.

https://www.fox5vegas.com/st-thomas-gai ... 7794a.html
squirrel wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:06 am
Augustana (SD) still needs a conference home to make the jump to DI, if the two parties are desperate enough. :lol:
Most likely St. Thomas and Augustana (SD) will end up in Summit League and thus become future WIU opponents.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

That makes sense, but the Summit League just punted on Augustana.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

And I think they punted on Augustana specifically to take St Thomas instead.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:51 am
And I think they punted on Augustana specifically to take St Thomas instead.
Right. Knowing that St. Thomas wasn't even a guarantee.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

WIU drops swimming & diving immediately. That's because they have to pay their basketball players now. :lol:

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

I know college baseball isn't a huge revenue sport, relatively speaking, but this is a concern for the MEAC's situation as well:

If they wanna survive, they're gonna need to add a school within the two year NCAA grace period if they fall below D-I status. If one more team leaves the MEAC in football, they would fall below D-I status.

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

God d@mn, is this the modern-day quality of SI? Sounds like a fantasy a 7th grader would scribble in his notebook during study hall.
https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/06 ... ealignment

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

One possibility for the MEAC is to adopt the absorb and split model that the A-Sun has signaled. . .some interesting nuggets in this article, including the possibility of UMES re-launching football.

Some other info in other articles I won't link here is that the league is even considering PWI (predominantly white institutions). Also, Bowie State is commonly listed as one of the schools that might be considered for reclassification and expansion, but the messaging from them is that a DI move is fool's gold.

https://www.gwhatchet.com/wp-content/up ... ses-01.png

But, a merger with the CCIA could alleviate some of the anxieties faced by the DII schools, as they would still eventually be competing in the same league, with the same peers, but at the DI level.

The CCIA was a league I skipped over in my earlier list because I was thinking in the A-Sun context. That said, there are some schools that could be able to make the move under a merger and split, but they'd still need to nearly double their budgets to be at DI levels. Most would need to also add sports. But there's only one school in the league that doesn't play football, and they are not on this list. Specifically those schools are:

Would need to add sports:
Lincoln U
Bowie St
Fayetteville St
Elizabeth City
Saint Augustine

At the DI-minimum sports level:
Shaw
Virginia St
Virginia Union
Livingstone

And then the wildcard of Winston-Salem State (been there, done that. . .) but perhaps this might be a more palatable way to go about it.

Another failed reclassification was Morris Brown, which resulted in it dropping sports altogether in 2003, fiscal mismanagement and fraud that eventually led to the school losing its academic accreditation.

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Can Bowie St afford moving up? Their endowment is $8 million which means fundraising borders non-existent. Facilities not good.

Virginia St has facilities that could pass as D1 -- the basketball stadium would shoot to the top of the MEAC. It's a financially healthier school at $48 million endowment.

Morris Brown's football stadium has been relocated to Chernobyl:

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:12 am
God d@mn, is this the modern-day quality of SI? Sounds like a fantasy a 7th grader would scribble in his notebook during study hall.
https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/06 ... ealignment

If this fairy tale wasn't enough, SI has now doubled-down and written another article about this fantasy article, specifically the league Maryland is in...except it didn't even get the imaginary league Maryland was in correct. :roll
https://www.si.com/college/maryland/foo ... d-atlantic

Article:
In a hypothetical project revisiting conference realignment, Pat Forde rolled out his ten conferences with twelve teams each with the goal of achieving a more balanced, geographically-minded alignment. That led Maryland fans to find themselves in familiar territory.

Six years after leaving the ACC for the Big Ten, Maryland is one of twelve teams in the “Mid-Atlantic Conference.” That means a chance to reconnect with former ACC bitter rivals North Carolina and Duke while a proposed rekindling of the rivalry between Maryland and Virginia Tech is back on.

The glaring overlap between Maryland and their old conference foes is hard to ignore, while South Carolina joins the group as the Gamecocks were one of the eight original founders of the ACC back in 1953. Maryland has yet to face either Appalachian State or Charlotte but did find prior success against their two remaining opponents. Maryland has faced Old Dominion just once in a 47-10 victory back in 2013, while the Terps’ lone matchup against East Carolina came in a 51-20 victory in 2010.

The hypothetical does provide a more advantageous geographical footprint as South Carolina is the furthest away from campus in an eight-hour drive, but the proposed conference does remove the growing exposure that comes with the Big Ten. The matchup against defending ACC champion Clemson undoubtedly gives Maryland their toughest test, second-year head coach Mack Brown showed flashes of success with the Tar Heels in 2019 while Virginia has consistently found themselves on the right side of the top-25 as head coach Bronco Mendenhall has found his groove in Charlottesville.
First comment:
Terps aren't in that conference, they're in the Yankee Conference. Crossover "rivalry" with Virginia. Yankee Conference - Army, Navy, PSU, Maryland, Pitt, Temple, UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers, UMass, BC, Buffalo

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

July 1 means moving day for schools and conferences.

Beginning their DI journey as of today:

Bellarmine (A-Sun)
Tarleton State (WAC)
Dixie State (WAC)
UC San Diego (Big West)

Changing conference affiliations:

UConn (AAC -> Big East)
Robert Morris (NEC -> Horizon)
Purdue Fort Wayne (Summit -> Horizon)
Kansas City - (WAC -> Summit)
NJIT (A-Sun -> America East)
Cal State Bakersfield (WAC->Big West)

North Dakota (football only / Big Sky -> MVFC)

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Would cost CIAA schools $1.6M to move up to MEAC, before budget increases. Bowie St & Winston-Salem St have said no. If Virginia St doesn’t bite, not sure MEAC has options outside of PBI Chicago St.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/colle ... c68f3.html
Clyde Doughty Jr., athletics director at Bowie State and president of the CIAA's management council, said last week that expansion is a possibility.

“It’s a very interesting situation and I think even before COVID-19 came and interrupted our lives I think folks needed to address some of the financial issues that they were dealing with in trying to stay afloat at the Division I level,” Doughty said. “I think everybody who is in Division I thinks there is a pot of gold where everybody is trying to stick their hands in it, but realistically you do it at the expense of your institution.”

“I look at these schools and the folks that are getting out of the conference in Hampton, N.C. A&T, Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman left,” Doughty said. “So I think with the schools that are left, and timing is everything, so I hope the look at the CIAA being a good landing place for them and I think they would thrive and make our conference better.”

Doughty said that Bowie State is not interested in spending $1.6 million, which would be the joining fee to get into the MEAC. And Bowie State or any other CIAA school that makes the leap would have to double their budgets.

WSSU tried making the leap in the mid-2000s, but Chancellor Donald Reaves aborted it and in 2010 it came back to the CIAA.

Etienne Thomas, who is in her first year as WSSU's athletics director, also worked at N.C. Central. She said WSSU’s best place is in the CIAA.

“I say it often but I love the CIAA and I love Division II,” Thomas said in May. “I love what it stands for and our voice matters in Division II.“